DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CANADA ~ Flight Logging requirements

Gimbal2019

Reactions
What are the legal requirements to keep track of flights?
Are the DJI flight records stored on phone or tablet good enough?
I recently bought the Canadian Drone Pilot App - which is great for checking if an area is safe to fly in Canada and it has the ability to manually add extra info like Pilot,Observer,Flight Title and Flight Notes. Its problem is you have to manually start the flight log and end the flight log so the app can record time and place. Since its not connected to the drone the app can not record the flight path. DJI Flight Records show the flight path but you can not add additional info.

I Edited the title to make it very clear where you're talking about for someone just reading titles . . .

Reactions: Saigondroner
What are the legal requirements to keep track of flights?
Are the DJI flight records stored on phone or tablet good enough?
I recently bought the Canadian Drone Pilot App - which is great for checking if an area is safe to fly in Canada and it has the ability to manually add extra info like Pilot,Observer,Flight Title and Flight Notes. Its problem is you have to manually start the flight log and end the flight log so the app can record time and place. Since its not connected to the drone the app can not record the flight path. DJI Flight Records show the flight path but you can not add additional info.

Canadian Transport requires that you do log all your flights. I use the Canada Drone app and it does, when properly set up, to log all your flights, and you also have the ability to export them. There are a number of video's on youtube that show you the features of the app and how to use them. I use it for every flight regardless if it's at a MAAC field or not, and works great. it does much, much, more than simply show you where it's legal/safe to fly. It's linked to aviation charts and the checklists are also very good. You can also modify and add checklists to your preference.
cheers
ks

Reactions: lorpal
Thanks ks
Yahoo - finally found some info here is a blurb from the Canadian RPAS Regulations

Records
  • 901.48 (1) Every owner of a remotely piloted aircraft system shall keep the following records:
    • (a) a record containing the names of the pilots and other crew members who are involved in each flight and, in respect of the system, the time of each flight or series of flights; and
    • (b) a record containing the particulars of any mandatory action and any other maintenance action, modification or repair performed on the system, including
      • (i) the names of the persons who performed them,
      • (ii) the dates they were undertaken,
      • (iii) in the case of a modification, the manufacturer, model and a description of the part or equipment installed to modify the system, and
      • (iv) if applicable, any instructions provided to complete the work.
  • (2) Every owner of a remotely piloted aircraft system shall ensure that the records referred to in subsection (1) are made available to the Minister on request and are retained for a period of
    • (a) in the case of the records referred to in paragraph (1)(a), 12 months after the day on which they are created; and
    • (b) in the case of the records referred to in paragraph (1)(b), 24 months after the day on which they are created.
  • (3) Every owner of a remotely piloted aircraft system who transfers ownership of the system to another person shall, at the time of transfer, also deliver to that person all of the records referred to in paragraph (1)(b).
My take on this is that we do NOT have to save the DJI Flight Records (flight path) that are auto saved on the phone or tablet (used for the flight), but we do need to save/record the Pilot and crew members names along with the time of the flight.
Am I reading this correctly or?
What is everyone else doing?
How do you keep track of your flights?
Personally I think the DJI Flight Records which include the actual location of the flight path would be a better way to keep track of flight logs - what do you think.

Hi Gimbal2019. I agree with your interpretation regarding the flight records. However, the format of the DJI flight records would likely not be accepted by TC if so requested. The records kept by either a manual log...similar to what most pilots do for real world aircraft, or with todays tech, using the app like droneapp, the format that is output is exactly what the TC bureaucrat would be looking for. I am a big believer of keeping things as simple as possible, and once set up, the droneapp does this very nicely. While the DJI records do indeed show in detail what you put your drone through, I would be that if there was an incident, TC would want that...but the regulations do not state that you are required to keep that information as part of the logging system. The regulations as stated above is what the app does, or you can do manually, or do it in a spreadsheet. The key is to have it available if asked by TC.
cheers
ks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost