DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada Transport advanced exam .

Lionfish

Reactions
Hi .,
Has anyone here taken the advanced drone license exam in Canada
I have my basic license, but now I’m interested in taking the advanced.
Just for interest value , I don’t need it for any reason other than curiosity.
I have heard that on a scale of 1to 10 the advanced test is harder than the basic anywhere between 2 and 10.
So if anyone could tell me a bit about the advanced exam , I would be grateful.
I worked thru an app to study for the basic exam and after taking it , I felt that the study material was well overboard compared to the exam which was really easy on the day.
So if anyone has any preference to a particular study program, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks .

I thought the Advanced Exam was very hard. I eventually passed it but the two courses I took to study still didnt cover all of the material that was asked in the exam. I paid for a $350 course that was alright and after multiple fails i bought a $50 document from Don Drones On and passed. Check him out! Good luck.

Reactions: Petey and earth3rd
Hello from Windsor Ontario.
"Don Drones On" has a great series of youtube lessons for the basic and advanced exam. I passed the advanced exam first pass, barely.
Google search the question if you get stuck with questions you don't know the answer to. The questions are broad in nature covering more than a droner really needs to know.
That said, I'm a better pilot, with a better understanding of avaition after taking the exams. Personally, I believe, in my humble opinion, recreational pilots should be taking the basic so they know what their responsibilities are, and how to fly safely.

Advance was Brutal! you have to be Pilot, Air Controller, Weather-person, Electrician, AME, Helicopter Pilot and what else did I miss ;-)' YES to Don Drones youtube videos they are a GREAT help and Don will answer any question you may have. I also recommend the Canada Drone Pilot app as well, I use this Daily and use the app to get Flight Authorization as well, Good Luck on your exam! Don't forget after you pass the Advance you have to get checked out with a Flight Reviewer $$ as well, Shop Around (The Canada Drone App also has a list of Flight Reviewers for you to check out)

Reactions: Bob Jones
It is and worth every penny! all my documents, Licences, insurance, authorizations are stored in there as well as all the important airport information to fly safe, everything at your finger tips and in case Don is reading this did I mention the Name is Drone Pilot Canada App available now in the app store ;-)
Gerald ;-)

I thought the Advanced Exam was very hard. I eventually passed it but the two courses I took to study still didnt cover all of the material that was asked in the exam. I paid for a $350 course that was alright and after multiple fails i bought a $50 document from Don Drones On and passed. Check him out! Good luck.
I completely agree; I have only completed the basic exam so far, but I think Don has some really useful stuff out there!

I found the Advanced Exam extremely hard, even after taking a ground school course. Seemed there were a fair bit of questions that were not covered in ground school. I felt like I was doing an exam for an actual fixed-wing aircraft!!! Failed first try, passed second. I don't think there would be ANY way to pass the Advanced without some kind of studying...not a chance.

Now just getting some time in before I take the flight review. Scared shitless about that! lol

Reactions: Gerald McFall
I found the Advanced Exam extremely hard, even after taking a ground school course. Seemed there were a fair bit of questions that were not covered in ground school. I felt like I was doing an exam for an actual fixed-wing aircraft!!! Failed first try, passed second. I don't think there would be ANY way to pass the Advanced without some kind of studying...not a chance.

Now just getting some time in before I take the flight review. Scared shitless about that! lol
No Need to be scared, you will be fine, they just want to see that you can control the drone and fly safe, where are you doing the review?

Reactions: Solsearcher
No Need to be scared, you will be fine, they just want to see that you can control the drone and fly safe, where are you doing the review?
Somewhere near Winnipeg, presumably. I was in IT for a career...innumerable exams and certifications...I ALWAYS get nervous before-hand and then come out ok...just can't get past it....lol Thanks for the encouragement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada