DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian Drone Regulation questions etc.

DroneTech

Reactions
I'm getting ready to take out my Mavic Pro and some 1/8 and 1/5 land RC vehicles for some summer fun. I kind of heard about the US drone laws they had but never paid attention to what was going on here in Canada. I've owned my Mavic for over a year now and enjoy flying it. I started off with a micro drones few years ago. I've been reading numerous of posts on this site and others about these laws and the exam that is mandatory. Many are saying these new exams are not aimed at hobbyists but more towards professional pilots. So I have a few questions because after all I crawled up from under a rock.

1. If I'm required to have my drone registered will I also be required to have my 1/8 and 1/5 nitro, gas and LiPo battery power vehicles also registered in the future? These vehicles reach speeds of 80 km/h. If not controlled by a competent individual these can enter a road and cause a major crash. I see this more of a issue than a drone colliding with an airplane.

2. I see many kids and adults flying kites in parks throughout summer. The professional kites can reach 200-300 feet. Will these also be regulated?

3. Many individuals are purchasing drones and have no idea of any laws. After all these look like toys to many and it doesn't even cross someones mind that an exam is required to operate it. Now lets says they go out and fly and get approached by an individual of authority. Will they be ticketed and fined on the spot for not knowing?

4. Who will be policing these laws? How will I know if someone that just doesn't like the sound of a drone comes up to me and asks me for my registration? What kind of badge do I have to look for so I know they are legit MOT/TC employees?

I'm getting ready to take out my Mavic Pro and some 1/8 and 1/5 land RC vehicles for some summer fun. I kind of heard about the US drone laws they had but never paid attention to what was going on here in Canada. I've owned my Mavic for over a year now and enjoy flying it. I started off with a micro drones few years ago. I've been reading numerous of posts on this site and others about these laws and the exam that is mandatory. Many are saying these new exams are not aimed at hobbyists but more towards professional pilots. So I have a few questions because after all I crawled up from under a rock.

1. If I'm required to have my drone registered will I also be required to have my 1/8 and 1/5 nitro, gas and LiPo battery power vehicles also registered in the future? These vehicles reach speeds of 80 km/h. If not controlled by a competent individual these can enter a road and cause a major crash. I see this more of a issue than a drone colliding with an airplane.

2. I see many kids and adults flying kites in parks throughout summer. The professional kites can reach 200-300 feet. Will these also be regulated?

3. Many individuals are purchasing drones and have no idea of any laws. After all these look like toys to many and it doesn't even cross someones mind that an exam is required to operate it. Now lets says they go out and fly and get approached by an individual of authority. Will they be ticketed and fined on the spot for not knowing?

4. Who will be policing these laws? How will I know if someone that just doesn't like the sound of a drone comes up to me and asks me for my registration? What kind of badge do I have to look for so I know they are legit MOT/TC employees?

If any of your aircraft are over 250 gms they must be registered and you must have at least a "basic" pilot certificate.

Link to regulations:

See section 901.55.

unfortunately new drone rules and regs are being implemented in many parts of the world ,the choices are really simple give up flying your drone ,or comply with the rules and avoid being fined or worse,

unfortunately new drone rules and regs are being implemented in many parts of the world ,the choices are really simple give up flying your drone ,or comply with the rules and avoid being fined or worse,

Just to add.......
In Canada, the new regulations apply to all remote controlled air craft, not only drones. If it flies, weighs between 250 gm and 25 kg, and is remote controlled, then the new regs apply.

I live just south of the border (Canadian Border) and was excited by my retaliative location to Banff National Park and other spots.....but after reading the new Canadian regulations being implemented, not only for their own people, but for "visitors", I decided that would have to wait for awhile.

Current Rules: Applying for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (current rules) - Transport Canada

June 1st Rules: Get permission to fly your drone outside the rules (new rules) - Transport Canada

Not a Canadian Citizen?
Foreign operators
If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).
You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

Application for Special Flight Operations Certificate / http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/26-0835_BO_PX

LOL GOOD LUCK WITH THAT NIGHTMARE

Several points to note:

- kites are covered under Cdn Air Regs. They are not UAVs or RPAS under the regs though.

- drone v car versus drone v car. Testing with air cannons show drones will penetrate bird-certified windscreen. Manufacturers are being asked to add frangibility elements into the design now.
- test targeted to professionals. The basic test is certainly not. It is, no pun intended, basic. Understand the rules and how drones work and you'll pass.
- can you be fined? Yep. It's all in the rules.
- who can fine you? Transport Canada based on an investigation put in place by whatever law authority involved.
- do people know they need a license? Same question could be asked of people buying cars. You don't need a license to buy a car. You need a li ense to lawfully operate one though. You could choose to operate one without a license. If caught, see point above.

I did my basic and advancrd TC license over 2 weeks. I read the web site for the new regs and wrote the basic in 15 mins. For the Advanced, you do need to study a little.... But the advanced is not required unless you are going to be applyi g for special operating certificates.

Hope this helps.

I would highly recommend ReclaimDrone.com to not only register your drone with them in case it is lost but to order registration decals and a TC registration card and TC Pilot certificate card that you can carry in your wallet. They ship free to Canada and they are excellent to deal with

Reactions: Ken K
I would highly recommend ReclaimDrone.com to not only register your drone with them in case it is lost but to order registration decals and a TC registration card and TC Pilot certificate card that you can carry in your wallet. They ship free to Canada and they are excellent to deal with

Cost for 2 cards, registration & certificate, is about $16.00 can.
Got mine reduced and laminated at Staples for $3.38 can, including taxes.
Just saying......
:)

Cost for 2 cards, registration & certificate, is about $16.00 can.
Got mine reduced and laminated at Staples for $3.38 can, including taxes.
Just saying......
:)
I added my photo on the certificate (photoshop) took the jpeg to my local photo store and for 42 cents printed off a 4x6 picture. I then put it in a free plastic holder (thanks RBC) and carry that in my drone camera bag. Just adding.......

Reactions: Ken K
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000