DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian Maps on Smart Controller poor

Cookedinlh

Reactions
More play with the SC this week and found that the MAP function is from Mapbox not Google. . . Zoom in to a close enough level for use and it;s a patchwork of black and white or winter frames that is virtually useless near Sarnia ON where I do a lot of work. Seems like Canada (SW Ontario) was an afterthought. Some maps are winter photos where the contrast is so high that there is virtually no detail at all. Try flying or making a planned flight path here . .
1553343217385.png

This is what Google maps shows as the same area
1553343334279.png

And here it is in DJI Go4 on an iPhone . . . MAPBOX is not a good choice . . anyone know how to use a better map?
1553355118757.png

Last edited:
Map box is bad , but I have the same problem with Google maps , depends on where you live and when the satellites go over your area updating .

Map box is bad , but I have the same problem with Google maps , depends on where you live and when the satellites go over your area updating .
Is there no other choice? . . . I hear an upgrade is pending that may allow DJI PILOT, but they really aren't likely to fix the maps if only a few Canadians complain. I see no evidence of this problem in USA maps

If they are bad for southern Ontario I can only imagine how poor they would be for my area in Northwestern Ontario. I only have an MPP so couldn't use the smart controller anyway but good to keep in mind if I upgrade at some point.
Cheers

If they are bad for southern Ontario I can only imagine how poor they would be for my area in Northwestern Ontario. I only have an MPP so couldn't use the smart controller anyway but good to keep in mind if I upgrade at some point.
Cheers

Is this "map issue" confined to the Smart Controller or to any Canadian maps pulled by either controller?

But, alas, as a US citizen and visitor to Canada, I understand that we foreigners can no long fly up there????

Is this "map issue" confined to the Smart Controller or to any Canadian maps pulled by either controller?

But, alas, as a US citizen and visitor to Canada, I understand that we foreigners can no long fly up there????
Right now until June 1st you will be able to fly just observe our rules.

Starting June 1 the new rules come into effect and nobody that I know so far has been able to figure out how visitors to Canada will be able to fly. I have emailed our regulator(transport Canada) as I've had several people ask me this, but have not received a response from them yet.

If or when I get a response I'll post a thread, Hope this helps for now.
Cheers

Reactions: ff22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3