DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadians SFOC?

Has anyone filed for a Special Flight Operations Certificate through Transport Canada?
Yes and it is very specific. You must follow the ground rules just the same. If you can prove to them you will, then you should be able to get it but you must follow the rules to the letter.
You would now be on record with them so any screw up means by by any future sfoc!

i currently have applied and been approved for 5 since September 2016. It's time consuming but in the long run applying for a standing sfoc will make it worth while. I was initially told after 4 to apply for a standing one but as of January they now require a minimum of 10 before they'll consider it.

i currently have applied and been approved for 5 since September 2016. It's time consuming but in the long run applying for a standing sfoc will make it worth while. I was initially told after 4 to apply for a standing one but as of January they now require a minimum of 10 before they'll consider it.
I was told three by TC. is what it would take. So it depends on what type of sfoc you are applying for.

There are 3 types that i'm aware of: Simple (class G airspace and rural surroundings), Complex (controlled air space e.g.: C, and close to or in city limits and around buildings and people) and a standing.

All mine have been complex so maybe thats why they want 10. Simple is not much more than flying around farms really

Reactions: niclariv
Good to know! I should just start applying for them, and work my way up to 10 so that finally I can have a little more drone freedom.

In the mean time, someone else has posted about this as well but everyone should sign up for Node (NODE - Dedicated to ensuring fair and responsible drone regulations). You probably all saw the email from DJI about this already, but this is a new organization they helped to create in order to try to fight these very regulations. So far there isn't much on the website - I guess it's brand new.. but sign up and hopefully they'll have enough people there to make a difference.

Also, I encourage you all to send an email to Transport Minister Marc Garneau. After all, our representatives are supposed to listen to what we have to say. His email is [email protected]. I sent him one, I hope you'll all do the same and express your opinion. This is the kind of thing that may actually make a difference if he hears from enough people. Remember - try to write out your views in a structured positive way. We want him to like the drone community - so don't just write and say you're upset, or badmouth his decisions. Give him something to work with and a reason to want to change the law again. In my email I suggested that drones should be able to be used as creative photography tools, and I suggested that in order to make it safer to use a drone closer to an airport, instead of saying it's a complete no fly zone from the airport to 9km where suddenly drone pilots are allowed to fly up to 90m, why not allow closer flight in a graduated altitude allowance. Something like 5km away a drone could be allowed to fly up to 15 meters in altitude, 6km away 30 meters, 7km - 45m, 8km - 60m, and finally 9 km the full altitude allowance of 90m. Those numbers are just made up and would need to be more carefully thought out... but you get the idea. DJI's drones can be useful for making great creative videos and photos without having to be at such a high altitude that they'd be a danger to an aircraft. I suggested that DJI could implement those restrictions in to the app in order to make the government feel safer about pilots following the rules. Whatever it takes to get us more freedom right? And there could always be an override if you have an SFOC.

One more thing to add to this post, if you haven't seen it you might want to check out this statement from the Drone Manufacturers Alliance on Twitter: DJI on Twitter

which insurance you go with? how much it cost

Hi all, I recently purchased a mavic pro. I have only been flying it around in my backyard (live on an acreage so far enough away from people and buildings). But I am just a bit confused on some of the Canadian rules. I seem to be reading conflicting information. Do I need insurance if I am only flying recreationally? The Transport canada website doesn't mention insurance but I have seen it elsewhere. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

Also a hospital heliport only needs a 1.8km radius, right? Also, can I fly it in a secluded city park or is it best to just go somewhere really remote?

Wow and I thought the FAA's bureaucratic nonsense was intense. You have to fill this out for every flight if you plan on doing anything other than hovering in your backyard.

Hi all, I recently purchased a mavic pro. I have only been flying it around in my backyard (live on an acreage so far enough away from people and buildings). But I am just a bit confused on some of the Canadian rules. I seem to be reading conflicting information. Do I need insurance if I am only flying recreationally? The Transport canada website doesn't mention insurance but I have seen it elsewhere. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

Also a hospital heliport only needs a 1.8km radius, right? Also, can I fly it in a secluded city park or is it best to just go somewhere really remote?
I fly mine recreationally. We have a city park here but its within 5.5km of the airport. Another city near here has a park. But you can not fly a certain distance from buildings, people, or vehicles. I usually stick to the farm or in the mountains (no provincial parks) I am looking at getting recreational insurance soon through barton insurance. I think it was $6 per month up to $16 per month. Maybe next year work on ground school and than the SFOC if it still exists.

Reactions: Mel2016
I fly mine recreationally. We have a city park here but its within 5.5km of the airport. Another city near here has a park. But you can not fly a certain distance from buildings, people, or vehicles. I usually stick to the farm or in the mountains (no provincial parks) I am looking at getting recreational insurance soon through barton insurance. I think it was $6 per month up to $16 per month. Maybe next year work on ground school and than the SFOC if it still exists.
Thanks. Is insurance mandatory currently if only flying recreationally? I have heard that they are planning on new rules making insurance mandatory. Just don't know if its mandatory right now.

But thank you for the recommendation of barton insurance.. I will look into them. Its been hard to find insurance companies for recreational use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird