DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't ascend/descend while RTH

szakeetm

Reactions
Initially during RTH mode I could still adjust the altitude.

About 2 weeks ago (maybe coincident with the latest firmware upgrade), my MA2 doesn't respond to the altitude stick: I can't ascend or descend while in RTH mode. Of course, as soon as I quit RTH, I regain full control.

This shouldn't be intentional: I must often descend to avoid strong winds or ascend to avoid obstacles while flying home. Am I missing a setting in the DJI Fly app?

About 2 weeks ago (maybe coincident with the latest firmware upgrade), my MA2 doesn't respond to the altitude stick: I can't ascend or descend while in RTH mode. Of course, as soon as I quit RTH, I regain full control.

This shouldn't be intentional: I must often descend to avoid strong winds or ascend to avoid obstacles while flying home. Am I missing a setting in the DJI Fly app?
Unless I am confused, return home by design implies hands-off until you tap out of it.

Reactions: Galeforce1

Manual control has always been possible and your manual explains this on P15:
During RTH, the speed and altitude of the aircraft can be controlled using the remote controller.

Your recorded flight data might help solve the mystery.

Yes in RTH you should be able to still control altitude manually.

In fact one of the biggest issues is the O/A system. That keeps you from YAW in RTH. It must be completely disabled including the RTH override they hid in the Go 4 App under Advanced settings..took me forever to find that in GO 4.

I have seen the latest firmware is causing issue in RTH Yaw, but height has always worked. Need more data to confirm Yaw issue in Fly App. They may have added the toggle to shut off Sensors in RTH like Go 4?

Last edited:
Unless I am confused, return home by design implies hands-off until you tap out of it.
It does that true, but RTH can be used as a virtual "Zip line" for filming. Been using it for that for years long before DJI gave us the smart/Quik shots or whatever they call them now. Quite useful to let aircraft fly itself and your are now in charge of camera pan and angles you can get some great cinematic shots that way. :) It is a quick way to set up a single way point mission to get multiple angles on a POI thus full control of most functions is preferred. Roll is just about the only thing that can't be controlled and that is a good thing ;) Some of us have been Flying DJI and their fine aircraft for over 6 years long before they ever had a Go App...It used to be called Pilot, then updated to Go 3 then a Go 4, now a new Fly App...now they even have a new Pilot App...guess they ran out of names :p

Last edited:

Also doesn't allow speeding up anymore either.

Thanks for all the input. I attach 3 files.
Phone screen with rudder input while initiating RTH. (Youtube link as I can't attach mp4)
TXT flight log (RTH around 8:10)
DAT file log (RTH around 8:15)
I didn't press the down rudder too long, but you can see that I hold it down to maximum for about 2 seconds and the aircraft altitude stays constant at 496m without any vertical velocity.
The home position is at the bottom of a mountain, and at RTH start the aircraft is around 15m above the trees. To not violate altitude limits, I have to disengage RTH and manually fly home while lowering altitude. I think it's a software glitch, if the log files show any anomaly I'd welcome your feedback.

Attachments

• 2020-11-22_16-24-54_FLY058.DAT
    8.4 MB · Views: 6
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-11-22_[16-24-59].txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

There's only 5 seconds during RTH where you tried to reduce altitude.
With full left stick down, the altitude stayed unchanged as you explained.
There's no additional indication in the flight data to show what might cause this.

This sounds like something unintentional on DJi's part.
Perhaps they'll correct it when they find out.
Reverting the firmware back to the previous version might put things back?

There's only 5 seconds during RTH where you tried to reduce altitude.
With full left stick down, the altitude stayed unchanged as you explained.
There's no additional indication in the flight data to show what might cause this.

This sounds like something unintentional on DJi's part.
Perhaps they'll correct it when they find out.
Reverting the firmware back to the previous version might put things back?
Thank you for having looked at my data. (I tried for only 5 seconds as I "know" that it's not working)
I will do a test with a previous firmware and report back.

DJI confirmed it's a "new setting" in the latest firmware:
2020-11-23 11_55_57-DJI Online Support.png
(I think it's really bad. There are several reasons while I'd like to keep flying home but still ascend/descend, especially when the terrain is not flat.)

Reactions: dawgpilot and Meta4
DJI confirmed it's a "new setting" in the latest firmware:
(I think it's really bad. There are several reasons while I'd like to keep flying home but still ascend/descend, especially when the terrain is not flat.)
It makes no sense to take away the freedom to control.
It's hard to see why they would have done it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
It makes no sense to take away the freedom to control.
It's hard to see why they would have done it.
Concur, at least give "up" and yaw back. I'm with your other post..I don't think they meant to do it..unless they are trying once again to dumb it down for the newbies, which they are prone to do unfortunately. I would never need to buy a entry class (Mini)...leave that stuff on that level, but the MA2 should be considered 2nd even 3rd tier aircraft..give them some of the "top Tier" features or at least the ability to override such as the M2 series. Hide the darn feature to turn it off in the darn Advanced settings and default to on..as I said I'm seasoned and I couldn't figure it out forever (well 3 days :p)

Last edited:
I'm getting VERY angry.
I wanted to downgrade now that DJI disable this RTH ascend/descend option.
It is not possible anymore to downgrade, see attached screenshot.

So DJI killed a feature and prevented the downgrade to get it back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 3.23.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 3.23.13 PM.png
    504.2 KB · Views: 39
I'm getting VERY angry.
I wanted to downgrade now that DJI disable this RTH ascend/descend option.
It is not possible anymore to downgrade, see attached screenshot.

So DJI killed a feature and prevented the downgrade to get it back.
That is why you will learn (Guess you did now) to never update till you know what it entails. Basic DJI 101. And Life 101 ......If it ain't broke...Don't fix it. :p

I noticed mine doing the same thing yesterday while it was in RTH. I could not descend.

Is this only for the low battery RTH mode? Because a couple of days ago I was able to control the altitude after pressing the RTH button. DJI considers the low battery RTH to be an emergency situation. It cannot be cancelled and it is possible they are now preventing altitude changes. I guess if you are over water then you lose it. I would prefer to fly it as far as possible even if it means shut off above the ground.

Is this only for the low battery RTH mode? Because a couple of days ago I was able to control the altitude after pressing the RTH button. DJI considers the low battery RTH to be an emergency situation. It cannot be cancelled and it is possible they are now preventing altitude changes. I guess if you are over water then you lose it. I would prefer to fly it as far as possible even if it means shut off above the ground.
I will test asap whether it affects manual RTH or only low-battery RTH.
That said, even for a low battery situation, the most economical way home is a continous descent (I think the maual says 16 degrees), so I still wouldn't justify that they lock you out. In my case (returning from above a hillside at 496m height), the drone would very quickly break legal altitude limits in RTH mode unless I descend it while it comes home.
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 4.42.07 PM.png

Concur, at least give "up" and yaw back.
DJI states in the MA2 manual that orientation and direction of flight can't be changed..only altitude and speed during RTH.
The yaw was already gone. You can move the gimbal to the side I've found by accident.

I can't understand how you are getting to an altitude of over 400 meters. I can't get over 395 ft. above T/O position when I fly in the mountains here in the US. What's the altitude limit in your country?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000