DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't Get It Up (Max Motor Speed Reached)

OlGunner

Reactions
Problem? Air won’t leave the ground and motors run away to full speed.

Was unit in a crash? I just bought it used and the seller told me it was crashed once but that there only damage was a scuff mark on the body and he’s flew it after that without problem.

What have you tried so far? Updated firmware (bird and controller); switched between ATTI and GPS; restarted everything.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone running iOS 12.1.4

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Aircraft 01.00.0560, Controller 01.00.0200

What Go app version are you using? 4.3.12

Any modification? (if so what) Installed the factory prop guards

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) Nothing but normal updates (map data, etc.)

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) No, sorry. I was using my camera (phone) to run the app.

LONG VERSION:

I’m a casual Phantom 3 flyer but was recently excited to pick up a used Mavic Air online. It had very minor scuffs on the body and the owner admitted he had crashed it but assured me everything flew normally. I was nervous, but took a chance.
It arrived today and looks better than I expected it to. I charged everything up, watched a couple tutorials, installed the prop guards, figured out how to connect things, upgraded the firmware, downloaded the latest map info, calibrated the compass, set my preferences like stick mode, and finally fired it up.

The motors start normally and everything looks good to go. Nudging the throttle just a bit returns normal increases engine speed. It’s even quieter than I’d been led to expect!

BUT…when I increase the throttle enough to where I think it should take off, it seems to struggle. There’s no noticeable vibration or unusual noises—it just doesn’t seem to be able to leave the ground. When I throttle up even more, the front legs lift slightly, then almost immediately the motors seem to run away and it sets right back down with the motors screaming at full power. DJI Go shows a message, “Max Motor Speed Reached.”

I shut it down almost instantly, of course, but two more careful attempts gave me the same results.

Most online references to the "Max Motor Speed" thing are related to errors while flying so I figured I'd come ask the experts if anyone has seen this while sitting on the ground.

I tapped on the DJI Go 4 homepage to see what version of the firmware I had installed (figured someone would ask) and at the top was a banner saying something like latest version installed. I tapped that to see if it showed the version and the ribbon changed to inform me there was a firmware update available for the controller. (The first one was for the aircraft and I hadn’t realized there was a second one waiting.)

I went ahead and ran that update, confirmed that everything is now at the latest version, and went out to try again.

The only difference was that the controller update changed my stick mode back to the default. When I tried to take off, the front started to lift, then the motors maxed out and I had to hold the throttle all the way down to kill them.

Let’s see…other details…
The props look normal.
Switching modes (ATTI and GPS) made no difference.
I was never in Sport mode.

So there you have it. Am I overlooking something simple (please tell me this is operator error), or did I buy a hopelessly broken bird?

I appreciate any wisdom.

Are the props originals? Sounds like a classic props on the wrong motors to me, (turning wrong way) but this shouldn't be possible with the air?
Have a close look at the props...
Two are CW and two are CCW, diagonally opposite each other.

That was it. As soon as I posted this, I thought that there had to be a logical reason the rear was lagging.
I had tried to fly the bird as it came out of the box. I pulled the props and two were on the wrong motors.
Corrected the problem, went outside and she flew as expected!
Unfortunately, it's dark now so real tests will have to wait, but after 30 seconds (and testing the foreward and reverse obstacle avoidance), I am digging this thing!

Thank you!

So it looks like you got yourself a bargain after all, all be it with a little panic mode thrown in.
At least now you know not to mix the props up in the future.

You got a great deal cause the previous owner thought it was broken and would not fly. Seller told you a non-truth to get it sold and it turns out the issue was just a prop switch. Priceless!

The scammer got scammed.

Good catch on the prop orientation @Simmo

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair