DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't remove stock filter ring

WarpedTrekker

Reactions
I am unable to remove the stock filter ring on my Mavic Air. It was either over-tightened from the factory, or glued on. I've tried the rubber band trick to get more leverage, and also used a pair of needle-nosed pliers, over the rubber band. It just won't turn counter-clockwise to remove it.

I was hoping to use some PolarPro filters I bought, but now I may need to return the Mavic for a different one. I've already used considerable force trying to remove the filter ring. Any thoughts?
mavicFilter.jpg

I've already used considerable force trying to remove the filter ring.
You probably bent the ring -- making it impossible to untwist.

You're turning it counterclockwise, correct?

counterclockwise, to the left when I'm looking at it.. The first day i bought the drone, i had tried to take it off with very little force. just like Polar Pro shows in their video. So I dont see how it could be bent. Maybe a drone repair shop could help remove it?

I dont see how it could be bent
You mentioned you applied considerable force and used needle-nosed pliers (hopefully not both at the same time).

Do you have rubber gloves? That'll probably be easier to pull off than the rubber band trick.

Well i am not using excessive force, since i dont want to harm the gimbal. But I'm using enough where it should twist off. I think it was over tightened at the factory. I just tried a rubber glove and that didnt work either.

As you're attempting to turn the ring, are your fingers slipping on the ring or is it just not budging?

Try warming the assembly up. Don't use flame. Find a sunny spot in warm air in your house someplace. If you have a heating pad, that might work, too. Once it's warm to the touch, try again. If you still can't get it off, try taking it to a camera repair shop. They can usually deal with thing s like this, though they might charge you a few bucks. Good luck!

Reactions: zwt100
It just wont budge. I knew there was something wrong with it from day one, since it shouldnt be this hard to remove. The first day i got the drone, I just barely gripped it to try and unscrew it. Just like i do with my normal camera filters. I knew it is plastic and thin, so didnt use much force. But it never budged.

Something I found helpful is to turn the ring with three fingers -- spaced out evenly on the outside of the ring like this:

Position.jpg

The ring is twice (or more) as hard to remove (for me) when attempting to only use two fingers.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Same here, first day when I got it. I had to use 100% force and a rubber band.

Reactions: xedder
I called my camera repair store. They said it could have been cross threaded from the factory. But they have no filter wrench that small to remove it. Bummer. I will work on it a few more minutes, but otherwise going to pack up this Mavic Air Bundle and exchange it for another.

Ok, one last suggestion. If the thing is cross threaded you should be able to see a variance in the slot between the filter and the body. But my suggestion is to first warm the thing up. That increases the diameter of the filter frame slightly to reduce its grip on the threads. Then get a small vice grip (don't panic, stay with me). Get one of those nylon tie strips that thread through their own end, but don't thread it. Loop it around the filter frame pull it as tight as you can. Then use the vice grips to clamp down on the nylon wrap close enough to the filter to make a sort of strap wrench. That will even the pressure around the perimeter in the same basic way msinger suggested. as you pull gently, if it slips, twist the vice grips a little on their grip to make the strap tighter. Good luck!

Reactions: Heron and zwt100
That will even the pressure around the perimeter
Even pressure is no doubt the way to remove DJI filters (or the ring in this case).

Reactions: Divebomber
I dont see any variance around the edge. I took a picture with my phone again and looked. The ring looks perfectly round and is seated perfectly all around. So doesn't look cross threaded to me.

I found this other thread where someone used a rubber band in a knot, then tied a tie strap around it. I tried that but still no-go. This is very frustrating. I bought this online, and doing an exchange may take 10 days or more to get a replacement. And there is no guarantee my replacement will have the same problem. DJI should ship these with no ring attached!

Mavic Air Lens Cap Won't Unscrew!

Well it's not budging. Warmed it slightly with hair dryer. Got the smallest vice grip I had and wrapped a tie around the lens ring and clamped down as close as it could be to the ring on the other side. Tried turning, and it isn't budging. Guess I have no choice but to send this back and exchange it for another.

Packed it up in the box, got a UPS return label from where I bought it. Now going to purchase another and hopefully that one will I'll be able to take the filter ring off to use my Polar Pro filters.

Packed it up in the box, got a UPS return label from where I bought it. Now going to purchase another and hopefully that one will I'll be able to take the filter ring off to use my Polar Pro filters.
Awww man I’m sorry none of our suggestions worked. Good luck on the replacement unit. My last suggestion was a long shot, but I still would have taken credit for being an awesome technician if it had worked. There are very small filter wrenches available in various on line camera stores but it sounds like the thing is far too stuck that even they would help. Keep us posted when you get the new unit back.

Reactions: Heron
So when I get a replacement, can I transfer the DJI Refresh to it? I only had this drone for a week. I didnt buy it from DJI, but another retailer. But bought the DJI Refresh for it from DJI.

I’m sure there’s a mechanism for transferring the insurance. I would guess your replacement drone is covered, since it’s a replacement and not a new one. Give them a call.

I chatted with DJI this morning. They just said to go to the Online support and create a ticket to return it to repair center. I did that and it is on it's way there now. Hopefully they don't charge me, because it is a warranty issue.
I also have DJI Care (Refresh), but did not use that on this situation, since it was not my fault. It is warranty issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost