DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't start Smart Capture without Controller

ALindquist5

Reactions
I've had my Mavic Air for a couple years now, and finally decided to try out Smart Capture without the controller. I wanted to test this out to hopefully use on hikes when I don't want to setup and connect to the controller for some quick solo shots. But, on my first attempt, I can't get Smart Capture to work for some reason.

I power on the Mavic Air. I wait for the start-up tones. The back function button light is blinking yellow, and the front LEDs are solid red. I double-tap the function button on the back of the drone, and nothing happens. No confirmation beep, no change in LEDs, and no gimbal movement when I stand in front and hold out my hand. Needless to say, the blades don't start up either.

What am I missing?

The firmware is up to date as of today (5/25/2020). I am able to enter Smart Capture mode through the Intelligent Flight modes when using the controller and the DJI Go 4 app. I just can't start Smart Capture without the controller by double-tapping the function button on the drone. Any suggestions?

Try 2 firm presses in succession. You should hear a series of 2 buzzers from the motors and the gimbal will pan up and down.

Maybe the double tap was too quick for it to register?

Try 2 firm presses in succession. You should hear a series of 2 buzzers from the motors and the gimbal will pan up and down.

Maybe the double tap was too quick for it to register?
I thought the same thing at first, but I tried several times with firm, slower, sequential clicks. I can feel the function button engaging each time, but it’s not making anything happen.

Update: DJI Go 4 prompted another firmware update today (5/29/2020), so I installed it.

I got a bit further to getting Smart Capture to work, but still the blades won't start. After I installed the firmware update today, I started the drone, waited for it to boot, and tried the double-tap on the function button again. This time, I did the double-tap fast in succession - more like a double-click of a mouse than two separate taps of the function button. That gave me two confirmation tones and a little jiggle of the blades. The gimbal also started panning up and down searching for my hand signal.

But, I tried standing at several different distances away, from about 1.5m-3m in front, holding my palm out at different heights in front of me, fingers closed. I tried a lifting motion; I tried low in front at waist level; I tried higher in front at face level, but the blades still never started up. I also made sure I was in full sun, but with the sun behind the drone (in front of me), so we didn't have any interference with bright sunlight or anything.

I don't know what else to try. Anyone have any further ideas? Was there more than one model of the Mavic Air such that I may have an early model that doesn't have the controller-less Smart Capture capability, or something?

A little bit late but i’ve one question which cant find a clearly answer anywhere :

When you tap the back button of the drone twice or activate smartcapture on display controller , drone will enter smartcapture mode and respond to your hand gesture from take off until landing, and then sit on the ground wait for further command in smart capture mode , yes i got that one , but on the otherway , when I want for example turn back to controller mode when the aircraft has landed on the ground and continue the fly, which action should i take ?

I just got a mavic air from my friend , he never use smart capture before neither do i , i’ve always want to try that for fun ?

Last edited:
A little bit late but i’ve one question which cant find a clearly answer anywhere :

When you tap the back button of the drone twice or activate smartcapture on display controller , drone will enter smartcapture mode and respond to your hand gesture from take off until landing, and then sit on the ground wait for further command in smart capture mode , yes i got that one , but on the otherway , when I want for example turn back to controller mode when the aircraft has landed on the ground and continue the fly, which action should i take ?

I just got a mavic air from my friend , he never use smart capture before neither do i , i’ve always want to try that for fun ?

You can just use the controller to fly it then. There should be an option in the app to turn off Smart Capture if it's enabled.

Reactions: nightchill
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e