DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't take off- flipping to the side

far2ezee

Reactions
Hey Guys,

Had her for a while, am relatively competent at flying now and love doing so. So, I'm perhaps being a total noob on this but I can't work it out so hoping for some help.

Changed the rotors to a new set as I was a complete idiot and sport moded her into a tree. I had used the older slightly scratched rotors for a while before swapping though. First time taking of since changing and I can't take of. I can start the rotors fine, they make no odd noise, seem to whir at the same speed etc.
When I try to take of the drone can't do it, she tries and then flips to the back left. I tried taking of the back left rotor and replacing with another, doesn't make a difference.

Very frustrating, first day of spring, I'm going of to an Island with a friends boat and it would be the most perfect time to fly her. I'm going to take her anyway, in the hope that a genius can help me out in the mean time!

Am getting no errors on the controller. I've a feeling I've done something wrong on the swapping out rotor front but don't want to keep trying as it's doing her no favours flipping and stopping the motor dead.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Will

When at idle, do you notice that all four props are blowing air down and at the same rate?

What you guys are suggesting makes perfect sense- the thing being when I tried another prop it physically wouldn’t screw in. So assumed I must have the right one in place. I’ve bought every prop I have be it the old shagged ones so will play around tomorrow morning- this place is stunning and weather good for flying so would love to get her up. Cheers

Hey Guys,

Had her for a while, am relatively competent at flying now and love doing so. So, I'm perhaps being a total noob on this but I can't work it out so hoping for some help.

Changed the rotors to a new set as I was a complete idiot and sport moded her into a tree. I had used the older slightly scratched rotors for a while before swapping though. First time taking of since changing and I can't take of. I can start the rotors fine, they make no odd noise, seem to whir at the same speed etc.
When I try to take of the drone can't do it, she tries and then flips to the back left. I tried taking of the back left rotor and replacing with another, doesn't make a difference.

Very frustrating, first day of spring, I'm going of to an Island with a friends boat and it would be the most perfect time to fly her. I'm going to take her anyway, in the hope that a genius can help me out in the mean time!

Am getting no errors on the controller. I've a feeling I've done something wrong on the swapping out rotor front but don't want to keep trying as it's doing her no favours flipping and stopping the motor dead.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Will

When I put the "opposite" propeller on my Tello it flipped right over when I went to take off. It's probably that but I don't actually know if you can put the wrong ones on. Two of the motors are marked with white striping, two are not. The propellers are marked accordingly so check and see if they match and please let us know when you figure out what was wrong

Sorry guys, thought I'd replied. So It was simply me being a **** and putting the wrong propellor on... Put it on, worked a treat. Got some great aerial footage of a sailing boat- pleased I took it with me to then get her up.

Thanks for the words of advice...

W

So can wrong motor be installed or not?
motor all identical or not? dc motor can reverse spin merely reverse polarity

Motors all spin the same way, just 2 opposing pairs of props
Actually, 2 motors spin in the clockwise direction and 2 spin in the counter-clockwise direction.

Motors all spin the same way, just 2 opposing pairs of props.
Of course they could come wired up wrong way, but unlikely.
No. Motors must counter spin to counter quad rotate. Not so? Meaning, one diagonally (orthogonally?) opposing prop pair are opposed in their rotate direction and props of opposing threading.

No. Motors must counter spin to counter quad rotate. Not so? Meaning, one diagonally (orthogonally?) opposing prop pair are opposed in their rotate direction and props of opposing threading.

Yes, as per the two posts above . . . makes much more sense !!
The props reversal is to counter the 2 opposing motor direction.

Like the S97 heli . . .

sikorskyS97.png

Sorry guys, thought I'd replied. So It was simply me being a **** and putting the wrong propellor on... Put it on, worked a treat. Got some great aerial footage of a sailing boat- pleased I took it with me to then get her up.

W
I think this whole thread is a good reminder of how awesome the physics of flight with quads are :)

I think this whole thread is a good reminder of how awesome the physics of flight with quads are :)
Also a great reminder of how useful it can be to take a time out and RTFM ... (Read The eeF'ing Manual) ... :eek:

this particular theme was hilarious entertainment about urging to fly stopped by difficulty resolved thru help.

it makes me reminiscent same.
fly. it takes us all to the good.

W

Yup...my first thought when I read your initial post. Glad you got it resolved.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost