DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't use device as homepoint, says weak signal ?

crucx

Reactions
Hey, i just tried the RTH function and started first with my device. Every time i hit the button it says that my device has weak GPS signal. What does it mean by device ? the drone ? the controller ? or my phone ?
I have a Iphone 6S Ios 11.2 but i am going to update to IOS 12 just now.

I started many GPS apps on my phone like navigations, gps signal checkers etc. and they all showed me 100% signal. So i guess by device it means the controllers. There is another button next to the device RTH function but that is for the drone which i love anyways more than the device one. But i would like to try the device RTH function too but doesn't works.

Did you hit the right icon for Dynamic Home Point ??

Is this ios device activated as in an active cell phone??

I tested my dynamic RTH function the other day on my Samsung 8 smart phone and it worked perfectly.

Out of curiosity, what drone are you flying that is having this issue, and where are you flying at?

Always a good idea to fly straight up about 50-60 feet (20m) so the drone can get a good lock on the home location. I know that’s not the message you’re getting, but...

Also check the number of satellites you have locked on your drone before you take off. Let it sit there for a few to obtain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reily-Kevin
xD its funny every time when i ask a question that people keep ask me for my drone while we are under the mavic air category lmao.So i have a mavic air.

Anyways. I tried it at many areas like open fields, parks, etc.
There are 2 RTH buttons but only one of them works (the right one in the menue). But the left one doesnt works. Tells me that my device has weak signal. You sure that it means my drone by device and not my controller or phone ?

I’m sorry, I didn’t notice the forum category, but would have taken Vegas odds on the air. Check my post history. Anyway, was just trying to help.

I did a TON of research on this before I returned mine, many had issues with bad cables, my issue was different, or at least not solved with a cable swap...

I just have a issue with the GPS on my "device" what ever the device is xD.

You know there are 2 "functions" / Options for RTH, right ? i thought that the button at the right, returns my drone to where my drone started and the left button would be to return to the controller or phones last position or something. That was my thought.
I am talking about the left button.

But either way, lets say both options are based on the drones GPS. So why does the right button works great but NEVER the left button ? dont matter where. Indoors, outside in parks, on the streets, on a bridge, i have tried it at over 10 areas.

Edit: Okay i just used google to figure out what these 2 Buttons are at all to make sure i am right. I was almost right, i just confound the 2 buttons.
So the left button sets the current drones position as a homepoint and the right button sets the current phones position as a homepoint. I am glad i didnt crashed on any tree since on my last fly i was sitting on a bench straight next to a tree and used the right button and the drone would 100% crash in that tree when trying to lowering the altitude to land omg...

Anyways. So i guess my drone is faulty then ? I bought it new and waited over 8 weeks till it arrives... the drones GPS signals are full and at the top i also see "GPS" and not ATTI. So i wonder why i cant use my currents drone position as a homepoint... i get the message that my device has a weak gps signal. I could try to fly in the air and set there a point but what will happen if i press the RTH button then ? will the drone fly in the same height and position where i set it as homepoint and turn off motors while being in the air ? to scared to set a homepoint while being in the air :eek:. I dont know what happens when i hit RTH then

Last edited:
I just have a issue with the GPS on my "device" what ever the device is xD.
Weak GPS signal is DJI's clumsy way of saying No GPS signal.
That's been a commonly reported issue with Apple devices for the last year.
No solution has turned up.
It won't make any difference to your flying except that you can't reset the home point to the controller's location or use Follow-me flight.

Reactions: TDZHDTV
It's a weak signal in the mobile device not the drone.

I tried an old Samsung 4 smartphone and I get the same message - I then tried the Samsung 8 and the dynamic home point worked perfectly.

Did you hit the right icon for Dynamic Home Point ??

Does Air HAVE dynamic home point ?
I don't think it does.

You may not have noticed this post is in the Air section.
I often miss this sort of thing too, looking at view 'new posts' just as a list.

@crucx RTH only works to what you've set it to in the settings menu, from any of the ways to activate it.
Check your manual on the Air (RTH section) to see exactly what functions it has, seems DJI products vary a bit in what you can do with the Air.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I think these people are right. I just looked up and yeah, a lot of people with apple devices have this issue. But why with apple devices if the function wants to use gps from the drone and not phone.
Also some people say it uses the phone or controller... this is so confusing. The moderator here was right. It uses the drone to get the signal. I think its just a apple issue. It cant save the currents drone location as a homepoint since i use apple.
So i use my currents phone / controller location then so i make sure i stay next to my drone when using it. Last time i used it next to a tree and i am so glad i didnt used RTH. I didn't know that

MA does not have dynamic homepoint. The two 'buttons' you are referring to are in thr DJI Go4 app submenu. Not on the flight data screen. These options are to UPDATE the home point. When you turn on the drone it uses the internal drone gps to set a homepoint. (Suggest never taking off until you hear the nice lady say 'homepoint recorded'). Now you fly around. If you want to activate RTH you do this by pressing the Physical button on the remote control OR the icon below the Take Off icon on the flight screen. Not from the submenu.

Now the submenu is if you want to CHANGE where it has the homepoint set. You have been selecting the one to change the homepoint to your mobile device's location. It is telling you weak signal. Maybe you are in airplane mode, obstructing the phone to the sky, etc.

You use these features if say you are on a boat and have moved and now want tthe home point to be where you are. The other option is used in cases where say you turned on the drone and then for whatever reason you picked it up and walked it somewhere else to take off (maybe you noticed a powerline overhead, etc) . The other way is to simply turn off/on again at your new takeoff location.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dawgpilot
But why with apple devices if the function wants to use gps from the drone and not phone.
Also some people say it uses the phone or controller... this is so confusing.
To clear up your confusion, the drone uses its own GPS receiver for all flight functions ... except:
Resetting the home point to the controller's location and Follow-me flight.
If you want to reset home to the location of the controller, the app has to know where the controller is and that comes from the phone/tablet's GPS receiver.
So i use my currents phone / controller location then so i make sure i stay next to my drone when using it. Last time i used it next to a tree and i am so glad i didnt used RTH. I didn't know that
You don't need to reset the home point to the controller's location .
The drone automatically records its own home point when you start it up.

Reactions: Mister C and crucx
Omg why do we have so many confusions ? i never used those 2 buttons to return to home xDDDD.

I know what the buttons are for and you are wrong too. The moderator was right. I think i have to ask this question in the official dji forum
The left set homepoint button works over the drone according google and the moderator. And i am talking exactly about that button. My drone has full GPS but it wont save the homepoint. Says device has weak gps signal

Edit: Meta4 best answer actually. He got me right. Thank you :)
So i just take off without resetting / setting any homepoint since i cant use the button which uses the drones location as a homepoint because the drone does it automatically already when taking off. Didn't know that

Omg why do we have so many confusions ? i never used those 2 buttons to return to home xDDDD.

I know what the buttons are for and you are wrong too. The moderator was right. I think i have to ask this question in the official dji forum
The left set homepoint button works over the drone according google and the moderator. And i am talking exactly about that button. My drone has full GPS but it wont save the homepoint. Says device has weak gps signal
You are very confused and should listen to me.
What I wrote is 100% accurate.
And although you probably won't believe me, the DJI forum is probably the worst place to ask for help.

RTH is one of the most important things you need to understand.
There are three pages about RTH in your manual.
Don't do any flying until you've read and understand them.

Refresh page. The OTHERS got me wrong except you and the moderator haha. I edited my comment, didnt see yours before. Thats why

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143