DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Captured unusual activity with my drone

StuckInTree

Reactions
I had a strange experience yesterday when I was out flying my MM in an abandoned golf course. When I do get to fly it is often at this course because it's a large property without the fear of flying over people, cars or homes, etc. At most it will have walkers, joggers and the occasional golf cart on the paths. Anyway, as I was flying I was startled as a car drove past me on the old cart path - there are never cars on the path. My immediate thought was someone was out joy riding. Since I had the drone up in the air, I started to follow the car to see what was going on, but then it just got more bizarre as the driver stopped about a quarter mile away to stash something in the woods. I might have been naive, but at this point I didn't suspect anything criminal was going on, so unfortunately never flew low enough to get a good shot of the license plate. Maybe if I was flying my M2P it would have had a good enough image to make out the numbers from where I was hovering, but then again, they might have noticed it up in the air. Not getting the plates was my big regret.

After "the suspect left the scene" I walked down to see what was left behind and found a brand new Ryobi power washer with store tags still attached, so naturally I called the police. A half hour or so later they came out and I showed them the video and we walked out to look at the site. They picked up the washer, inspected the area a little bit more and called in to see if anyone or the local Lowes had reported any missing merch. You can also see in the video at the 2:20 mark, the person throws something into the field before they get back into the car, so the two officers and I walked around the field for a few minutes to see what he might have thrown, but unfortunately didn't find anything. I may go back with a metal detector later. I AirDropped the video to them for evidence (after showing them how AirDrop works :cool: ), and I heard one officer tell the other how strange this call was. Glad it wasn't just me.

It certainly was one of the more exciting flights I've had! I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else had any similar experiences like this.

Video:

Power washer:

Wow... I wonder why the dude dropped it in the woods? An odd place for a power washer. Did the cops take it with them? Too bad you didn't get closer after he got back in the car so you could get the plates. It would have blown his mind should the cops have rolled up to his house.

I had a strange experience yesterday when I was out flying my MM in an abandoned golf course. When I do get to fly it is often at this course because it's a large property without the fear of flying over people, cars or homes, etc. At most it will have walkers, joggers and the occasional golf cart on the paths. Anyway, as I was flying I was startled as a car drove past me on the old cart path - there are never cars on the path. My immediate thought was someone was out joy riding. Since I had the drone up in the air, I started to follow the car to see what was going on, but then it just got more bizarre as the driver stopped about a quarter mile away to stash something in the woods. I might have been naive, but at this point I didn't suspect anything criminal was going on, so unfortunately never flew low enough to get a good shot of the license plate. Maybe if I was flying my M2P it would have had a good enough image to make out the numbers from where I was hovering, but then again, they might have noticed it up in the air. Not getting the plates was my big regret.

After "the suspect left the scene" I walked down to see what was left behind and found a brand new Ryobi power washer with store tags still attached, so naturally I called the police. A half hour or so later they came out and I showed them the video and we walked out to look at the site. They picked up the washer, inspected the area a little bit more and called in to see if anyone or the local Lowes had reported any missing merch. You can also see in the video at the 2:20 mark, the person throws something into the field before they get back into the car, so the two officers and I walked around the field for a few minutes to see what he might have thrown, but unfortunately didn't find anything. I may go back with a metal detector later. I AirDropped the video to them for evidence (after showing them how AirDrop works :cool: ), and I heard one officer tell the other how strange this call was. Glad it wasn't just me.

It certainly was one of the more exciting flights I've had! I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else had any similar experiences like this.

Video:

Power washer:
Pretty interesting story. Right place at the right time lol
I can't believe that guy didn't hear your drone. I can hear my props even when it's 400' above me, especially when ascending/descending.

Wow... I wonder why the dude dropped it in the woods? An odd place for a power washer. Did the cops take it with them? Too bad you didn't get closer after he got back in the car so you could get the plates. It would have blown his mind should the cops have rolled up to his house.

I know, I have the exact same question. Dropping a body, okay I get it. But you steal something, and then hide it in the woods in broad daylight. I don't get it. @bumper given your experience in law enforcement, does this make any sense?

Yes, the police took the power washer with them.

I can't believe that guy didn't hear your drone. I can hear my props even when it's 400' above me, especially when ascending/descending.
I was careful not to move the drone so there wouldn't be any audible changes in the sound that might alert him. I'm thinking it was far enough away and small enough that he thought it was just ambient noise from the woods.

Cause he lives in one of the houses close to there ?

Might have left the car running, which may have drowned out the props. Or other local noise, traffic, lawnmower, etc.

Most of us can here our props because we are specifically listening for them. I am sure that guy had all sorts of other things going through his mind.

A Mavic Zoom would have come in right handy in this case but your MM did a great job!!

WDK

Last edited:
I know, I have the exact same question. Dropping a body, okay I get it. But you steal something, and then hide it in the woods in broad daylight. I don't get it. @bumper given your experience in law enforcement, does this make any sense?

Yes, the police took the power washer with them.

Last 3 years on the department I was an evidence tech (sometimes called CSI now), so investigated up to 5 burglaries a day, mostly residential. Not infrequently, bad guys would stash their loot in the bushes, even fairly near the property, but this was mostly because they were on food, didn't want to carry it all, and planned to come back later. We'd always try to look around and sometimes could return the stuff. Being as these bad guys where in a vehicle, that doesn't make quite as much sense. Most likely they did plan to come back for it later, perhaps so they could off-load or deliver it after dark so it wouldn't be so obvious (e.g. they live in an apartment building and would likely be seen unloading it there.) But, since bad guys are not known for their overabundance of intelligence and logic, they don't always (or often) operate in a logical manner.

Great video! I'm sure it got you pumped up lol

Reactions: MindlessPursuit
It was amazing that you panned the camera to the right to put the car in the far left of the frame before he dragged the merchandise off to the bushes in the far right of the frame. Did you guess that’s where he planned to stash it?

Reactions: davemorts
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder