DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cargo Ship Under the SF Bay Bridge (unfortunately underexposed)

01AF48E2-706F-4D38-AD50-628747214D87.jpeg

A bit of adjustment is all that was needed... just a quick one from a screengrab on my phone! Could do even a lot better with it if I had the original photo file. It’s actually better to adjust an underexposed image than a overexposed one because much more detail is preserved and not blown out.

If you don't have a good editing program try Google Photos, it has auto adjustments. If you want to learn Adobe Photoshop, there is a free 30 day unrestricted trial for it.

Last edited:
There are some things you just can't photograph properly with the little cameras on our drones.
You've picked a subject that's dark on a background of dark and that's always going to be difficult (or impossible)
To make things harder, you've got a moving subject that's going to mush in a 2 second exposure or longer that might make the rest of the shot show better.
We can't see what your exposure settings were to tell if you might have been able to do something to make it better.

Although the image can be "enhanced" to show what's hiding in the dark, unless your interest is detective work, the results aren't very pleasing.
Making a night photo look like daylight defeats the purpose of shooting in the dark.
Can you attach one of the original files or post the exposure details from the exif info?

Reactions: AMann
Thanks, Thomas B!
You can also have fun with your photos with the Prisma app (or Instagram) on iPhone, yours would make nice art prints art 8x10”. Or 11x14” - I really like triptychs (photos in sets of three), so not all is lost with your underexposed shots!

E42C38E9-BCC8-4365-B7B2-9203FAC70C27.jpeg48205BAE-A04C-4897-9954-58AD812A05BB.jpeg

Oh just another suggestion, it looks OK for these photos, but you got something going on with your horizon line. I would calibrate the gimbal to get a more level horizon if that’s the case of it being off a bit.

Enjoy, it’s a great hobby and it looks like you’re off to a pretty good start, just watch those camera settings! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: sdold
Or ..
i-M44Gzpp-XL.jpg

If you could post the settings used, it might be possible to give you some pointers to help shooting in this setting.

Is this shot from a drone? If so, according to my sectional chart of this area, you are flying in Class B, C and D airspace. You are in range of SFO, Alameda Naval Air Station, Oakland Airport, Chrissy Field, and several private airports. Did you get a waiver via a LAANC app?

Is this shot from a drone? If so, according to my sectional chart of this area, you are flying in Class B, C and D airspace. You are in range of SFO, Alameda Naval Air Station, Oakland Airport, Chrissy Field, and several private airports. Did you get a waiver via a LAANC app?

He probably knows, it’s obviously a drone image... I think it’s best to mention it too, but I left it up to someone else on this one.

That's in Class G airspace, so no problems there. He might be running afoul of the 400' rule.

Last edited:
That's in Class G airspace, so no problems there. He might be running afoul of the 400' rule.
Ok, now that the NAS was mentioned there, sdold is right, Its class G up to 700’ and E above that, but the shore on both the North and South side of the Golden Gate bridge, and much of the headlands to the north side are National Park lands and off limits to drones flying from there as well as shown by the blue line and blue dots:

5478B1DD-2CDA-41A2-A6B7-67E632F5F7D5.jpeg

according to my sectional chart of this area, you are flying in Class B, C and D airspace.
He was flying in class G (below class C airspace with floor at 1500 ft)

He was flying in class G (below class C airspace with floor at 1500 ft)
I think you're right, he's in G airspace. It looks like it's in a Magenta area, so I think Class E starts at 700 AGL and goes up to 1499 MSL and the Class C begins at 1500 like you said.

Amann, I think you made the same mistake I did, for the longest time I thought it was the Golden Gate bridge, it finally dawned on me that it was the Bay Bridge. I think he's on the West side of Yerba Buena.

Reactions: Thomas B
according to my sectional chart of this area, you are flying in Class B, C and D airspace.

1- There is no such thing as flying in Class B, C, and D - all at once.
The way airspace works, you are in one and only one at a time.

2- The OP was in class G.

3- The bridge in question is not the Golden Gate, but the Bay bridge. The OP probably launch from treasure island, looking SW toward downtown SFO.

4- If there is no TFR at the Oracle park, it is legal to fly there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98