DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Carrying DJI Mavic Air bought here in the USA to India

Reactions
Is it possible to carry DJI Mavic Air to India. The said Mavic was bought in USA. I am an Indian Citizen just back home for the holidays. What precautions and care should i take while carrying it with me (if its allowed/possible to bring it inside the country)?

I shouldn't think taking the drone itself would be an issue. Look specifically at your airline's battery flight restrictions, as they may not allow you to take them on-board or check them in with hold luggage, which means your drone will be unusable in india unless you can get batteries there.

Reactions: devesh.deochake
I couldn't tell you about Indian regulations as such. However unless you have a permit you can not fly. That a side, normally airlines allow you to carry drones and batteries on the plane. Just check the airline website. They will normally say what you can and cant carry... I have taken my drones around on planes many times...

I am going to India in Feb next year. I am going to carry my Mavic Air. I am a travel content creator on Instagram and asked a lot of my followers who are Indians or been to India with a drone. Your best option is to carry the batteries with you in (carry-on) and put the drone inside the check-IN baggage. Mavic Air is a very small drone and most of the custom officers in India don't even know about folded drones. Thus, Keep it in your check-in baggage to avoid any questions or hassle.

In case if you want to keep it in your carry on, tell them it's a camera with a stabilizer if they question you. Make sure you remove the propellers.

I am going to India in Feb next year. I am going to carry my Mavic Air. I am a travel content creator on Instagram and asked a lot of my followers who are Indians or been to India with a drone. Your best option is to carry the batteries with you in (carry-on) and put the drone inside the check-IN baggage. Mavic Air is a very small drone and most of the custom officers in India don't even know about folded drones. Thus, Keep it in your check-in baggage to avoid any questions or hassle.

In case if you want to keep it in your carry on, tell them it's a camera with a stabilizer if they question you. Make sure you remove the propellers.

Thanks for that reply. I was planning on doing he same things after a few readings on reddit and like. I have 2 questions:
1) Do we need to put batteries in the fire proof kinda pouches that are for batteries to be put in carry-on?
2) Do you have drone insurance? If yes and in the worst case scenarios customs in India does confiscate my drone can we claim for it in insurance?

I will be updating this thread about how i carried my drone and batteries and what was the experience to and fro from my travel to India and back to US.

Reactions: kei888
Thanks for that reply. I was planning on doing he same things after a few readings on reddit and like. I have 2 questions:
1) Do we need to put batteries in the fire proof kinda pouches that are for batteries to be put in carry-on?
2) Do you have drone insurance? If yes and in the worst case scenarios customs in India does confiscate my drone can we claim for it in insurance?

1) no.
2) no. I don't have an insurance. I doubt you can do anything about it if they confiscate your drone. Just put it in your check-in. One of my friend carried Phantom 3 in his check-in few times and had no issues. Mavic air is small compared to P3 so you shouldn't even think about negatives.

DO NOT TAKE DRONES TO INDIA without consulting the local customs office. My drone was seized at Hyderabad in Feb 2018. I had to appeal to get it returned to me while flying back to US. Drone is in the prohibited items list according to customs. Flying the drone in India is different from getting drone to India. So DONOT take them to India.

DO NOT TAKE DRONES TO INDIA without consulting the local customs office. My drone was seized at Hyderabad in Feb 2018. I had to appeal to get it returned to me while flying back to US. Drone is in the prohibited items list according to customs. Flying the drone in India is different from getting drone to India. So DONOT take them to India.

Is that listed on any government customs site?

Is that listed on any government customs site?
I was give a document where the drone was listed in the prohibited items list. New Update : You can now register before taking the drone to India. The webiste still under construction.
Digital Sky - (Error - {"errors":["Operator details not found"]}) Website still dont have the operator/manufacturer details. Once they are there you can fill out the form to get the permission.

Foreigners are currently not allowed to fly drones in India. For commercial purpose, they need to lease RPAS to an Indian entity who in-turn will obtain Unique Identification Number (UIN) and UAOP from DGCA.

• Any entity intending to import RPAS in India shall obtain Equipment Type Approval (ETA) from WPC Wing, Department of Telecommunication for operating in de-licensed frequency band(s). Such approval shall be valid for a particular make and model.
  • The applicant, other than Nano category, shall apply to DGCA along with ETA for import clearance. Based upon the import clearance issued by DGCA, DGFT shall issue license for import of RPAS.
Point of contact in WPC & DGFT?
For import : Sh.S.P.Roy, Joint DGFT, DGFT, Phone: 011-2306 2240 Email: [email protected]

For ETA : Sh. Bhagirath, Sr. DWA, WPC, DoT, Phone: 011-2373 1488 Email: [email protected]

http://dgft.gov.in/sites/default/files/Notification_No.16_(English)_0.pdf

Digital Sky

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969

Were you carrying the drone yourself or did you order it online?

Hello All,
I carried my Mavic Air in check in and the controller and batteries in my carry on/cabin bag. I faced no issues at all at customs. I entered India at Mumbai airport. Will update once again when I leave through Mumbai back for USA.

Hello All,
I carried my Mavic Air in check in and the controller and batteries in my carry on/cabin bag. I faced no issues at all at customs. I entered India at Mumbai airport. Will update once again when I leave through Mumbai back for USA.

I told you right. They wont have any problem if you carry it in your check-in. They'll just have problems if they notice it in your carry on.

No problem carrying the drone to India.....Custom....is your gray area.
Check latest laws and India's Custom rules for allowed/prohibited items that you can bring into the country before you travel.

Hello All,

are you able to fly the drone? Any problems? Did you have to register your drone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242