DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CASA - Can I Fly There Released (IOS / Android / Webapp)

I downloaded it, its pretty good,has helipads and more airports in it local to me I didnt know about and hasn't got phone numbers for airports on it like Hoover does but using them together it solves a lot of unknown issues,like amberley airspace we are allowed to fly but with caution.You have no idea how many people I have asked that question to over the last couple of months,even phoning the airbase itself but now I know.

Reactions: JDG
Just downloaded it and find out that 2 doors down from me it starts as a restricted area and limited to 45m!

Reactions: JDG
Guys, the App only covers the rules for the ARN sub 2kg Commercial set of rules from 101-10 and does not pertain to the Recreational ruleset covered in 101-03.
I have reached out to CASA regarding why they released it without having the option to switch to the recreational set of rules since this will confuse many as it restricts hobby pilots beyond what CASA have already set out.

Guys, the App only covers the rules for the ARN sub 2kg Commercial set of rules from 101-10 and does not pertain to the Recreational ruleset covered in 101-03.
I have reached out to CASA regarding why they released it without having the option to switch to the recreational set of rules since this will confuse many as it restricts hobby pilots beyond what CASA have already set out.
Arent they the same rules?

No, page 8 of the 101-10 clearly states that for sport or recreation you must refer to AC 101-03 otherwise it should be operated according the the SOC and reference 101-10 as well as notify CASA of intent for commercial operations... i.e.. The ARN.
101-03 specifically allows flights over 120 metres outside of controlled airspace as well as not being required to keep it under 45 metres within 4km of a helipad among other things.

It's buried in their "Terms & Conditions" -
This app is designed to guide operators of excluded remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) under subregulations 101.237(3), 101.237(4) or 101.237(7) of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR). It is solely an awareness tool for those flying drones less than 2kg and those flying drones between 2kg and 25kg over their own private land for commercial purposes (Excluded Category RPA Operators).
In order to use this app, you must agree to the following terms and conditions.
Note: Excluded RPA are drones that, under certain conditions, may be operated without CASA’s explicit authorisation (refer to regulation 101.237 of the CASR).

and from the 101-10...

CASA has determined that RPA operations, conducted under strict conditions, present a low level of risk to other airspace users, other people and property. As such, CASA has determined that some RPA can be operated safely in Australian airspace without requiring CASA authorisations in the form of a remote pilot licence (RePL) and an RPA operator's certificate (ReOC). These operations—termed 'excluded RPA' operations— are defined in regulation 101.237.

furthermore...

Guidance on flying model aircraft (RPA for sport or recreation) can be found in AC 101-03. Further information may be obtained from the Model Aeronautical Association of Australia (MAAA), Australian Miniature Aerosports Association (AMAS), and other model flying associations and clubs.

Reactions: stratos and JDG
I thought exactly the same thing "why sub 2kg and not recreational?!" but if I don a tinfoil hat, I suspect the idea was that people would just download the app, and use those more restrictive conditions which they might see is a win for them even if it isn't correct.

Most people you're lucky if they even check an app and not just "whatever the dji app says is NFZ".

No, page 8 of the 101-10 clearly states that for sport or recreation you must refer to AC 101-03 otherwise it should be operated according the the SOC and reference 101-10 as well as notify CASA of intent for commercial operations... i.e.. The ARN.
101-03 specifically allows flights over 120 metres outside of controlled airspace as well as not being requir
101-03 specifically allows flights over 120 metres outside of controlled airspace as well as not being required to keep it under 45 metres within 4km of a helipad among other things.
ed to keep it under 45 metres within 4km of a helipad among other things.
With your ARN do you have to notify them of every event you are flying for profit eg monetised youtube today,realestate house tomorrow,wedding on saturday, monetised youtube sunday ? Or is it a one off notification ?

With your ARN do you have to notify them of every event you are flying for profit eg monetised youtube today,realestate house tomorrow,wedding on saturday, monetised youtube sunday ? Or is it a one off notification ?

One off notification for the area you plan to fly it. If you plan to fly in a different area you need to notify them of the new area.

Reactions: Herathome
As Herathome said. Clears up restrictions in Amberley airspace. I had contacted Air Services and CASA and couldn't get specific information for my area. Now it's very clear. Thumbs up to CASA.

Reactions: Herathome
It think it's a good app but it doesn't seem to be applying the recreational operators to whom the app is clearly targeting. I'm 5.4km from Archfield airfield Qld and it is saying I'm in a No Fly zone. I'm not in the approach paths. CASA's own website says you can fly inside 5.5km as long as you follow the other operating rules.

I think they have missed a great opportunity to improve knowledge and compliance of recreational fliers. Drone Compiler, developer for CASA, already has an app for commercial operators.

I sent in some feedback today via the app and they replied saying that over the "weeks and months" that they will be making some changes.
Suggest if you have comments to let them know
I have also replied. I doubt they will make the substantial changes required to show the data correctly for recreational operators.

I think its a great little app, the accuracy around my regional area is spot on, easy to use plus links to some valuable information, Thanks CASA.

Would love to get a better understanding of what "controlled airspace" is.
I too have gone through many of their official documents (and there are many) and keep coming back to this 120m limit in "controlled" areas ambiguity.
Is all of Australia " controlled airspace", or only the airports, military areas, heliport etc?
Absolutely love the simplicity of this app and applaud CASA for releasing it. I am very, very aware we need to be ultra safe with our hobby, but occasionally I'd like to go higher than this limit for a shot.
Confused.....

Agree it does seem confusing, even to a real pilots. Think of it this way. Controlled airspace is those areas where air traffic controllers have overall control. Example, above 10,000 feet, everywhere in Australia is controlled and a flight plan has to be filed.

Below 10,000, some airspace is controlled, sometimes from the ground up, sometimes between certain lower and upper limits.

If you go to this Air Services page you can download the charts for free in PDF format

Aeronautical Information Package | Airservices

If your in a city, start with a VTC chart

Reactions: stratos
I sent in some feedback today via the app and they replied saying that over the "weeks and months" that they will be making some changes.
Suggest if you have comments to let them know
yeah I encourage everyone to submit their feedback. I already did, and even in twitter complained to casa that the APP doesn't reflect the rules for recreational pilot and that its misleading.

I think their intention is to " scare " recreational pilots so they follow the more restrictive sub 2kg category rules.
Ping CASA in twitter, lets see if we can get some traction

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000