Join Us Now

CASA drone licencing / registration update 1/4/20

MAvic_South_Oz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Update email today, which anyone can sign up to here . . . CASA mailing lists

Updates are posted to the CASA website here too . . . Latest updates

The latest . . .

I wasn't aware recreational licencing / registration was so far away, sometime in 2022 . . . thought that was coming this year too, along with the commercial & excluded categories.

I don't have an issue with it taking so long....they need to get it right. If they don't and screw it up it'll just encourage people to ignore and do their own thing. COVID is going to slow all the processes down for quite some time.

Reactions: NedKelly
Can someone explain to me a few things regarding CASA, specifically the Certificate III in Aviation (Remote Pilot - Visual Line of Sight).

What changes does this make to my daily 'recreational' routine?

Can I now fly at greater altitude?
Can I fly in more built up areas?
Can I do more in a commercial sense? For example, I'm a sports photographer - can I take aerials of a playing surface in what would otherwise be a built-up or public space?
Can I go for some scenic 'missions' during lockdown on the basis that this is potentially a commercial exercise? Example - I live on the NSW north coast and there are a number of bushwalks and waterfalls we can go to that would be good exercise, but they are an hour+ drive away.

On the last point, I am hoping to work with a local paper to provide some imagery during the lockdown.

Just trying to work out what further liberties I can unlock as a result of the Cert III course.

Can someone explain to me a few things regarding CASA, specifically the Certificate III in Aviation (Remote Pilot - Visual Line of Sight).

What changes does this make to my daily 'recreational' routine?

Can I now fly at greater altitude?
Can I fly in more built up areas?
Can I do more in a commercial sense? For example, I'm a sports photographer - can I take aerials of a playing surface in what would otherwise be a built-up or public space?
Can I go for some scenic 'missions' during lockdown on the basis that this is potentially a commercial exercise? Example - I live on the NSW north coast and there are a number of bushwalks and waterfalls we can go to that would be good exercise, but they are an hour+ drive away.

On the last point, I am hoping to work with a local paper to provide some imagery during the lockdown.

Just trying to work out what further liberties I can unlock as a result of the Cert III course.

To tell you the truth, have never looked at these courses . . . only the RePL official CASA licence that one can do with trainers.
The Certificate III in Aviation (Remote Pilot - Visual Line of Sight) is provided by a few places, and includes this the RePL and radio ops cert.

Looking at the TAFE course . . .

Details of what's included . . .

There's a lot more there than the plain RePL, intro to mapping, taking photos and video, agriculture uses, S&R, etc . . . more covered.

But, too costly ! Total $6860 unless you can get subsidy somewhere there.
RePL can be had for around $1500 now.

What will that give you ?
Not MUCH more !
You can fly to within 15m of people.
You can get a night time waiver to fly if not restricted in some other way.
You might get more ops to fly places most hobbyists don't, having access to more airspace if you know NOTAMS, get registered in the Airservices Australia NAIPS system.

Other than that, you still have to stay within other drone rules, but may get waivers for height in some cases, not 100% sure.

If you want to test the waters with commercal use, you can just get an ARN (Aviation Reference #) and apply into the Excluded category.
You can fly commercial jobs, but have to stick to all the same rules to fly as a hobbyist.

But, too costly ! Total $6860 unless you can get subsidy somewhere there.
RePL can be had for around $1500 now.

Just on this note, if you work through the calculator on the TAFE website it says the final cost will be around the $1500-1600 mark. I'm not sure based on which subsidy however. I have an e-mail from TAFE, I'll check this out so i'm certain.

I deliver the cert 3 course and have done for 3 years now.
As far as licensing goes, it will give you nothing extra in the way of what you can do. The big players (Boeing Defence, police and other rescue services) are starting to have the cert 3 as an academic requirement for employment as an RPAS operator. Diploma soon to out for general public to study soon also.
If you are a sole operator, then the money would not be well spent (although I wouldn’t say wasted). If you want to gain employment in industry, then it’s a good way to get started.

Reactions: Fishman Dan
As far as licensing goes, it will give you nothing extra in the way of what you can do. The big players (Boeing Defence, police and other rescue services) are starting to have the cert 3 as an academic requirement for employment as an RPAS operator. Diploma soon to out for general public to study soon also.
If you are a sole operator, then the money would not be well spent (although I wouldn’t say wasted). If you want to gain employment in industry, then it’s a good way to get started.

Thanks for a great response AJ. I was initially led to believe it was the 'next logical step', but as your post indicates it's not entirely worthwhile for everyone, though I wouldn't rule out a job flying drones (as part of a current tree-change).

Certainly food for thought, but I won't race out for my Cert III tomorrow.

Where do you teach? If I go ahead, it will be Wollongbar TAFE.

Reactions: AnzacJack
Thank for that info, good response

Reactions: AnzacJack
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair