DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CASA regulations

platty

Reactions
I was just reading the CASA regulations…… is there anyone out there who never lets their drone out of sight. Every video I have watched shows their drone flying off to distant locations.
On that subject … has anyone been caught and fined for allowing their drone to disappear from sight ?

Yep, plenty fly BVLOS, youTube is loaded with such things.

Myself, I have flown BVLOS once or twice, usually very remote areas.
Generally I fly within 700m / 800m or so, in fairly open sky, and use strobes to help pick up VLOS quickly when looking up from the screen when videoing or taking photos.

Probably not many have been fined by CASA for BVLOS flights, but that could change if something bad happens when someone is breaking this or another of their drone rules.
You only have to look at those mysterious Gatwick flights in the UK, which prompted a raft of drone anger and more stringent drone monitoring.

Pretty sure we will eventually get remote ID type technology here, which is easy for authorities to monitor flights in problem areas.

I do live in Spain under the regulations of AESA not CASA but here is my answer:
When I first got my drone I always flew BVLOS, flew 3 miles away from me and higher than 400 ft, etc...
Now I don't, No, I didn't get fined or anything, it is just that I understood that it is just not worth it for everyone's safety and especially to prevent more restrictions put in place. I still disagree on some restrictions, but try not to break them.

Before I got my mavic (which I got in August 2021) I never broke any rule including VLOS, because I had a big S500 DIY drone that was bigger than the phantom! And the range on it wasn't that good, so no matter where I flew I still was able to see it. The maximum range of it was more or less 1 mile, and the drone was big enough that I could see it from 1 mile away, so I never had the ability to break the rule.

Later when I got the mavic I saw how far away and high it could fly, and how small it was. In half a mile distance I already lose it from sight, only rely on good signal and RTH. I still break the rule sometimes, but in remote areas such as mountains and big fields!

I flew BVLOS once in a remote area. My heart was in my mouth the whole time, not because I was breaking the rules, I thought I would lose the drone.
Regards

All it needs is for governments to compel manufacturers to write strict range and height limits into the firmware, or perhaps reduce the abilities of the controller and we are up a Gum Tree.
Didn't something like this occur in India?

When I did my RePL it was drummed into us the importance of flying within VLOS with case studies presented of near misses in Australian airspace. When you live on the coast you tend to come across a fair bit of recreational and other safety related air traffic that one cannot predict. There was only one case where a private helicopter flew very close to where I was flying and because it was within VLOS, I was able to undertake a rapid controlled descent. Probably less of a risk in remote locations compared to major cities

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada