DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cat in the Hat

Chaosrider

Reactions
In a different thread, I was whining that the phone screen is almost invisible in direct sunlight, and that there seemed to be no way to create a sunshade for the Mini-1 and Mini-SE controllers which would solve that problem, such as has been effectively done for the Mini-2. Something more versatile than just sitting in the shade all the time.

I wondered if there might be some kind of sunshade that you could wear on your head to shade the screen.

There is. I got one. I tried it.

For those of you who thought it would look silly, you will not be disappointed:

...but it works! It seriously works. With that thing on you can actually see the screen well while it's attached to a Mini-1 or Mini-SE controller, in the direct sunlight. And if the squirrels and birds think that I look nuttier than usual, well, I'm fine with that.

Also, please not that my "time sharing" between looking at the drone and looking at the screen fully meets the VLOS requirement, although the looking back and forth looks even sillier than the head umbrella itself!

1650396720767.png

MM

I love it. :)

I chuckled while watching it, but ya know what, it totally works. 👍

Better than the towel over my head when I use to fly my Spark. :D

Reactions: old man mavic
@Chaosrider well i have to take my hat off to you ,my fellow flyer
only problem i can see i would have ,if i wore one those ,where i live
is the men in white coats ,would be carting me off ,to some undisclosed location

In a different thread, I was whining that the phone screen is almost invisible in direct sunlight, and that there seemed to be no way to create a sunshade for the Mini-1 and Mini-SE controllers which would solve that problem, such as has been effectively done for the Mini-2. Something more versatile than just sitting in the shade all the time.

I wondered if there might be some kind of sunshade that you could wear on your head to shade the screen.

...but it works! It seriously works. With that thing on you can actually see the screen well while it's attached to a Mini-1 or Mini-SE controller, in the direct sunlight. And if the squirrels and birds think that I look nuttier than usual, well, I'm fine with that.

Also, please not that my "time sharing" between looking at the drone and looking at the screen fully meets the VLOS requirement, although the looking back and forth looks even sillier than the head umbrella itself!

View attachment 146980

MM
That's hilarious......you've just made my day. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Great execution!! As a bonus, you could go just a little bit bigger and be ready to social distance in the next pandemic.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I just purchased a smaller version of this to wear when fishing! Sometimes, there is no wind, and at the altitude I live, the sun destroys everything, and can be unbearable. I thought the extra ventilation would also be beneficial. I never thought about using it as you have, but I'm certainly going to. If mine is too small to shade my monitor, I know where to get a larger one. BTW, wearing items like this really helps keep people from approaching you.........they think you're a bit off your rocker, and their reaction seems to be that if you are "unstable" enough to wear something like this, what else might you be capable of! Haha

I just purchased a smaller version of this to wear when fishing! Sometimes, there is no wind, and at the altitude I live, the sun destroys everything, and can be unbearable. I thought the extra ventilation would also be beneficial. I never thought about using it as you have, but I'm certainly going to. If mine is too small to shade my monitor, I know where to get a larger one. BTW, wearing items like this really helps keep people from approaching you.........they think you're a bit off your rocker, and their reaction seems to be that if you are "unstable" enough to wear something like this, what else might you be capable of! Haha
A beneficial side effect!

It sure does work well, though.

I live at 5300 ft MSL, and I certainly understand that thigs are different a mile up...and better!

:cool:

MM

View attachment 146980

MM
Aside from the fact that you look really silly ( and none of us would be caught dead flying a drone out there with that umbrella on our head), I was concerned that firstly, the umbrella still does not cover the controller and you cannot look up to see your drone and where it it, especially as it returns.

Just find a tree to stand under!

Dale
Miami

View attachment 146980

MM
Totally Brilliant, cheers Len

Hope a sudden wind don’t come up 🥴

Aside from the fact that you look really silly ( and none of us would be caught dead flying a drone out there with that umbrella on our head), I was concerned that firstly, the umbrella still does not cover the controller and you cannot look up to see your drone and where it it, especially as it returns.

Just find a tree to stand under!

Dale
Miami
No, it actually works.

When your head is down, the shade fully covers the screen. When you look up to see the drone, you can see the drone just fine. The only trick is that if you wear reading glasses like I do, you need to adjust your look-up so that you see above the reading glasses, but below the lip of the shade, so that you can actually see the drone.

It's a minor nuisance, but it works great, and well worth it to get a clear view of the screen!

Thx,

MM

Hope a sudden wind don’t come up 🥴
Oh, it will!

The elastic band that holds the shade on is pretty effective, plus there's a drawstring you can use to secure it around your neck.

But I'm sure the thing will take it's own flight down the canyon at some point...

;-)

MM

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod

View attachment 146980

MM
Genius! I love it!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242