DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro Catch me if you can!

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Lots of threads about hand-catching so I just wanted to share a video, the full video of what it looks like for a hand catch. In short, whether on land or at sea, I feel hand-catching is the best way to protect your drone from dust, twigs, grass or water. Doesn't matter if you're on a ship or on solid ground. Same principles apply: You or your catcher must wear a glove. Catch the drone away from your face and above your head. Bring the drone into the wind when catching. The drone operator or the catcher has the right to call off the landing attempt if something seems off. Communication is key.

Lots of threads about hand-catching so I just wanted to share a video, the full video of what it looks like for a hand catch. In short, whether on land or at sea, I feel hand-catching is the best way to protect your drone from dust, twigs, grass or water. Doesn't matter if you're on a ship or on solid ground. Same principles apply: You or your catcher must wear a glove. Catch the drone away from your face and above your head. Bring the drone into the wind when catching. The drone operator or the catcher has the right to call off the landing attempt if something seems off. Communication is key.

First time I have seen a glove in use and that is an excellent safety precaution.
Glove in bag done. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.

I can see the glove for out on a boat...but on land? Nah. I hand launch and catch mine all the time...not that hard. Just keep it pointing away from you and your arm fully extended. Easy to do once you do it a couple times. Glove is not going to protect your arm, which is where I think the blade would get your first.

I guess you landed sideways to allow the drone to capture the landing... but for me, that's the most difficult way to land.

Also, whilst very cool, landing on a moving boat with loads of potential obstacles (sails, ropes etc) fills me with dread.

I'm hoping to go on a boating trip with my drone once I return to England (Norfolk Broads). But whilst I'd be happy flying off my own boat, I'd be scared to do it on a boat I cannot control. Say if I were on a ferry/cruise ship. If I misjudge distances/speed/battery, I'm not going to be able to ask a big ship's captain to slow down or stop for me to catch my Mavic. lol

wow that was scary FatBastard...Had almost goosebumps o_O A very interesting shot!Thumbswayup
cheers Paul

Glove is a nice idea but I would be more concerned about my eyes, his protective glove looks level with his eyes :eek:

Safety glasses are a good point!

I guess you landed sideways to allow the drone to capture the landing... but for me, that's the most difficult way to land.

Also, whilst very cool, landing on a moving boat with loads of potential obstacles (sails, ropes etc) fills me with dread.

I'm hoping to go on a boating trip with my drone once I return to England (Norfolk Broads). But whilst I'd be happy flying off my own boat, I'd be scared to do it on a boat I cannot control. Say if I were on a ferry/cruise ship. If I misjudge distances/speed/battery, I'm not going to be able to ask a big ship's captain to slow down or stop for me to catch my Mavic. lol

I was actually flying forward with the ship and merging in for the catch. I just turned the camera sideways to capture the landing. I hope you have fun and successful flights from your boat!

I can see the glove for out on a boat...but on land? Nah. I hand launch and catch mine all the time...not that hard. Just keep it pointing away from you and your arm fully extended. Easy to do once you do it a couple times. Glove is not going to protect your arm, which is where I think the blade would get your first.

Good point, though the one time I got a finger nipped was hand catching on land in some pretty strong wind so the drone wasn't very stable. But true, I don't use a glove when flying on land. Though might be a good precaution for those new to the technique.

We hand catch almost every single flight. Absolutely agree it protects the equipment (camera specifically).

I don't use a glove and the only time I had a "prop incident" it happened to be VERY cold outside and it hurt like CRAZY but barely even a nick of the skin. Did I mention is HURT because my fingers were SOO COLDDDDDD????

We're gonna have to practice that hand catch too. We have chartered a trawler for next summer up here in the North Channel. Looking forward to getting some good drone footage off the boat. Glove and glasses for sure. We'll also be able to maneuver the boat as we wish, and have a reasonable sized deck with no rigging to speak of.

If you turn the drone upside down as soon as you have hold of it, the motors stop instantly. No fighting with the uplift.

I have been searching for my friend Frank's video of landing his drone on the boat in 50mph wind... they use a landing net! Safehaven Marine in Ireland, they fly the drone to capture sea trials of the boats Frank builds. You can see the landing net in action in this video:

If you turn the drone upside down as soon as you have hold of it, the motors stop instantly. No fighting with the uplift.

I have been searching for my friend Frank's video of landing his drone on the boat in 50mph wind... they use a landing net! Safehaven Marine in Ireland, they fly the drone to capture sea trials of the boats Frank builds. You can see the landing net in action in this video:

Frank is a rookie. His drone props are smashing into that “landing net” at full speed which is likely to split or damage them.

Does Frank also uses a “landing tree” when on dry land? ;)

Frank is a rookie. His drone props are smashing into that “landing net” at full speed which is likely to split or damage them.

Does Frank also uses a “landing tree” when on dry land? ;)

When you are filming to sell £300,000+ boats, the footage is worth more than £20 for a set of props. They are consumables. In fact he expects to lose at least 2 drones a year, watch some of the conditions they are operating in, that Corryvrecken one is tame compared to most. He actually awaits gales to sea trial the boats and films them in the conditions. £500 for a drone is less than the cost of the fuel for the trip!

It works just fine to kill the props as with a normal landing. I just ask my catchers to wait until the props stop spinning before they lower the drone. There's been many discussions onboard SSCS ships and OVI about using a net and every time it's been determined to be a bad idea. Too much risk to the drone and gimbal. Most skilled pilots can bring the drone in for a hand catch in the conditions you present. And, you obviously had a choice to land in the rough conditions or move to calmer waters to land given the video shows calmer waters not to far away.

We're gonna have to practice that hand catch too. We have chartered a trawler for next summer up here in the North Channel. Looking forward to getting some good drone footage off the boat. Glove and glasses for sure. We'll also be able to maneuver the boat as we wish, and have a reasonable sized deck with no rigging to speak of.

Wishing you good luck! Practice launching and landing from the ship in the marina before hand helps. Also, flying (not launching) from the bridge so you can communicate directly with the officer in charge about maneuvering the ship helps too, if that is a possibility.

Reactions: Barbara
Most skilled pilots can bring the drone in for a hand catch in the conditions you present.
From watching the video i get the impression that Frank and his crew are boaties, not skilled drone pilots. Fair enough, especially if they’re happy to damage or destroy two drones a year.

Personally, I’d ditch the net idea and attempt a proper hand catch, under any conditions. But each to their own.

Reactions: mereflyer
From watching the video i get the impression that Frank and his crew are boaties, not skilled drone pilots. Fair enough, especially if they’re happy to damage or destroy two drones a year.

Personally, I’d ditch the net idea and attempt a proper hand catch, under any conditions. But each to their own.

In 20foot seas and 50mph wind - the boat is pitching so much just being on deck is a danger, hence the big net they have evolved. The Corryvrecken video is very calm compared to the video I was trying to find. The after deck was lifting and dropping about 10 or 12 feet. Trying to maintain your footing in those conditions is bad enough, without having to worry about your fingers in spinning props. On that heavy seas video they had about 8 seconds of battery left! Yes, running to the wire.

You're right about Frank being 'a boaty', he is one of the leading designers in the world, producing pilot boat, military patrol boats and stealth insertion craft for many countries. That Corryvrecken trip was just a joy ride.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie