DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Caught in the rain

Steel63

Reactions
Hello everyone if i can stop shaking long enough to type i was trying to capture lighting on video the storm was hanging low so i put my drone up i recorded about 5 minutes disided to fly to the shore line turned to the north all i could see is a wall of water heading towards me by the time i adjusted the drone to come home it was to late how it didn't fall from the sky i have no idea water got in the battery compartment it landed fine i dryed it off but im afraid to start it any thoughts please help thanks

Reactions: Lionfish
Bag of rice or all the silica gel packets you can find.. seal it in with the drone after you dry the exterior as much as possible with something soft and absorbent.. chamois or facecloth

Don’t restart until completely dry in a week.
Dry with a hairdryer on low heat initially, then store with desiccant.
Use a different battery when restarting as battery if too wet will be toast

Rain water should be ok, otherwise if it was salt water it may need to be dunked in distilled water and iso propyl used to scrub away any contaminants or corrosion.

Last edited:
I flew into a fog bank and couldn't see a thing. Drone came back ok, but sensors and camera were useless!
How long should i leave it in for im using
Don’t restart until completely dry in a week.
Dry with a hairdryer on low heat initially, then store with desiccant.
Use a different battery when restarting as battery if too wet will be toast

Rain water should be ok, otherwise if it was salt water it may need to be dunked in distilled was and iso propyl used to scrub away any contaminants or corrosion.
Thanks it was rain water i took the battery out as soon as i landed that is when i noticed that water got in i held it upside down dryed up with a papertowl but im sure some got into the battery connection I'm using silica beads fingers crossed ?

Looks like MA2 is not as water resistant as other mavics. Heard of other mavics flying in rain, accidentally?, without problems. Dry it as described and go fly. They’re surprisingly forgiving.
Good luck ?

Reactions: Steel63
Bag of rice or all the silica gel packets you can find.. seal it in with the drone after you dry the exterior as much as possible with something soft and absorbent.. chamois or facecloth

Do not put it in rice:

The real secret to water damage? You don't want to dry it!

What you want to do is first displace the water—or more specifically, all the conductive stuff in the water. You can do this best by using 90%+ isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a toothbrush. Open your device as soon as you can, take out the battery, and get scrubbing. Submerge the whole motherboard in alcohol, and scrub away. Only then, dry it and see where you stand. By getting the liquid displaced before it can dry, we are cleaning the pancake batter on Sunday morning. This is your best strategy for liquid damage.

Looks like MA2 is not as water resistant as other mavics. Heard of other mavics flying in rain, accidentally?, without problems. Dry it as described and go fly. They’re surprisingly forgiving.
Good luck ?

It's a difficult one to assess because water damage can be so inconsistent and I've seen devices sold as professionally weather sealed with water ingress and I've seen cheap consumer devices with no water protection surviving tougher conditions.

The perpetual "does rice work?" issue. Best answer imho: only if a grain of rice is in contact with liquid water. see Putting wet iPhone in rice won't fix it – these are the things you should be doing

To test this, one might try putting a bowl of rice outside in 90 degree humidity, which we have regularly in Cincinnati. If the rice becomes at all soft or sticky or swollen, then I'm mistaken. Ima have to try this. I will report.

Regardless though, there is no question though that silica packs are more effective. I keep every one I get and now have a sealed zip lock bag full of 'em, sealed in tupperware.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Sorry! I had heard people tell stories of rescuing phones with rice. At least I mentioned silica gel packs?

As for alcohol, I only just read my in-box literature yesterday, it said not to use alcohol to clean the sensor. So careful with IPA or whatever. Silica gel packs and a soft absorbent cloth sound safe

The perpetual "does rice work?" issue. Best answer imho: only if a grain of rice is in contact with liquid water. see Putting wet iPhone in rice won't fix it – these are the things you should be doing

To test this, one might try putting a bowl of rice outside in 90 degree humidity, which we have regularly in Cincinnati. If the rice becomes at all soft or sticky or swollen, then I'm mistaken. Ima have to try this. I will report.

Regardless though, there is no question though that silica packs are more effective. I keep every one I get and now have a sealed zip lock bag full of 'em, sealed in tupperware.

Everyone in Louisiana puts rice in the salt shaker. Not that this is scientific, but it keeps the salt from caking up in the humidity. Maybe it's the mechanical action of the rice grains. But a million Cajuns can't be wrong, can they?

BTW: This is not a technical argument for rice. This is story time.

Everyone in Louisiana puts rice in the salt shaker. Not that this is scientific, but it keeps the salt from caking up in the humidity. Maybe it's the mechanical action of the rice grains. But a million Cajuns can't be wrong, can they?

BTW: This is not a technical argument for rice. This is story time.

LOL, Cajuns know their food for sure. My mom was raised in Baton Rouge and we have rice in our shakers. And she has great stories too. Like her brother tipping an occupied outhouse into the bayou.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S