• Good

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RickyMavic

Reactions
Day 2 with the Drone,

I was racing away from a storm, and stopped to refuel at a BP... 10min later my Drone was in the air and I caught this shot.

PLEASE critique it, whether it be good or bad, and give me all the advice you can.

Thanks,
RickyMavic

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 12.31.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 12.31.05 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: whiskeylover
Well, at least you were responsible. Could have gotten that pot of gold, but would have had to fly BLOS.

Nice capture, but sorry, no advice, I can fly but am terrible stills and video, and getting worse, I think my best video was my first. Oh well I can fly ok at least.

Reactions: RickyMavic
Hi, You have the base of a good photo here, There are a few things I would adjust, personally, like the composition, exposure, and grading a little, pushing the contrast in the fantastic sky you captured.

I hope you don't mind, but i tweaked your photo a little, as an example, as with everything visually based, it's completely subjective and your tastes are likely very different from mine, so I will not be offended if you reject this or hate it!

The quality isn't great as I don't have your original RAW file.

Attachments

• Screen Shot Mavic.jpg
    Screen Shot Mavic.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 67
Nice capture! Just the fact that you had the presence of mind to get the shot and followed through is awesome. Too many times I've said, "Gee, shoulda....".
Well done.

Hi, You have the base of a good photo here, There are a few things I would adjust, personally, like the composition, exposure, and grading a little, pushing the contrast in the fantastic sky you captured.

I hope you don't mind, but i tweaked your photo a little, as an example, as with everything visually based, it's completely subjective and your tastes are likely very different from mine, so I will not be offended if you reject this or hate it!

DUDE! That is so sick! Thank you very much for editing it, and the feedback.
That is exactly what I was looking for.

My gf, a design&photography enthusiast, loves what you did with the picture.
She's been helping me with color correction and editing pics.

What would you do with this one?

Thanks,
RickyMavic

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.40.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.40.30 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
Reactions: RaRaRasputin
Nice capture! Just the fact that you had the presence of mind to get the shot and followed through is awesome. Too many times I've said, "Gee, shoulda....".
Well done.

Lou, I have a feeling you'll be a presence in many of my posts.

This week, I'll make it my goal to capture something specifically for you.

Thanks,
RickyMavic

Well, at least you were responsible. Could have gotten that pot of gold, but would have had to fly BLOS.

Nice capture, but sorry, no advice, I can fly but am terrible stills and video, and getting worse, I think my best video was my first. Oh well I can fly ok at least.

Don't call yourself terrible until you've crashed the drone into 2 trees within your first 3 days hahaha

I haven't put together my first video yet, but when I do, I'll send it your way :)

Thanks,
RickyMavic

Thanks,
RickyMavic

Nice shot. I would rotate the picture so that it's level. It seems like it's slightly underexposed?

FYI, I'm from Charlotte too! I can't wait to shoot the skyline (just got my MP 3 days ago.) The Charlotte skyline is hard to grab from the ground!

Thanks,
RickyMavic
Untitled-1.jpg

I like what @RaRaRasputin has done with it, I might crop in a little more on the right so that you have a bit more balance and the two towers framing the shot, but it was a great photo to start with. Are you shooting RAW files, as that's the key to being able to push it further afterward?

Keep at it, I look forward to seeing more from you. And if your Girlfriend is an enthusiast, take her advice, she likely has good intuition.

Lou, I have a feeling you'll be a presence in many of my posts.

This week, I'll make it my goal to capture something specifically for you.

Thanks,
RickyMavic

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 1.14.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 1.14.44 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 9.18.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 9.18.24 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
More great photos! do you process them at all before uploading? one thing that you can do right away to make them 50% better is straightening the Horizon. you gain so much for such a small tweak.

You obviously have great skies down in Charlotte! Again, this would be sharper from the original.

Attachments

• Screen Shot Mavic_2.jpg
    Screen Shot Mavic_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Also, pop the grid on in the camera settings if you don’t have it on already (just the standard grid that cuts the screen into 9 segments)

It helps you with your horizon level and composition

Have a Google for Rule of Thirds for your composition. Whether you do it when taking the picture using the grid lines to assist, or if you crop in post to match up to the grid, it will result in a much better result for you.

Here's an example link:
The Rule Of Thirds: Most widely used Photography Composition Technique in Landscape Photography - Nature Photography Simplified

I thing I can add is to take pictures, like these two, in AEB 5 shot. It helps with the dynamic range and stacking the photos will give you a little bit sharper image. Love the skyline shot!

Don't call yourself terrible until you've crashed the drone into 2 trees within your first 3 days hahaha

I haven't put together my first video yet, but when I do, I'll send it your way :)

Thanks,
RickyMavic

A quick little 2 part short story for you bud!

RickyMavic

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.10.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.10.36 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.10.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.10.59 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.12.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.12.15 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.14.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.14.41 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.16.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.16.26 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.17.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.17.47 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.15.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.15.14 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
I like what @RaRaRasputin has done with it, I might crop in a little more on the right so that you have a bit more balance and the two towers framing the shot, but it was a great photo to start with. Are you shooting RAW files, as that's the key to being able to push it further afterward?

Keep at it, I look forward to seeing more from you. And if your Girlfriend is an enthusiast, take her advice, she likely has good intuition.

You were spot on about my GF's intuition because RaRaRasputin literally taught me something on this forum that she had previously pointed out to me too.

Not entirely sure what you mean by raw files, but I:

-shot the video with the drone
-turned off the drone
-took out the SIM card and put it in my USB 2.0 CARD READER
-transfered files to my computer
-uploaded files to forum

Seems pretty RAW to me hahaha btw can you briefly explain to me what RAW means/stands for?

Thanks,
RickyMavic

P.S. BONUS SHOT

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 10.17.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 10.17.02 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
More great photos! do you process them at all before uploading? one thing that you can do right away to make them 50% better is straightening the Horizon. you gain so much for such a small tweak.

You obviously have great skies down in Charlotte! Again, this would be sharper from the original.

Hey! I don't process them before uploading them. My gf is going to help me straightening the horizon this weekend, so thank you, From me.

And fortunately we do have great skies in Charlotte. I'm doing some shots Friday evening in Columbia, SC so I can't wait to see their sunsets!

RickyMavic

Also, pop the grid on in the camera settings if you don’t have it on already (just the standard grid that cuts the screen into 9 segments)

It helps you with your horizon level and composition

Have a Google for Rule of Thirds for your composition. Whether you do it when taking the picture using the grid lines to assist, or if you crop in post to match up to the grid, it will result in a much better result for you.

Here's an example link:
The Rule Of Thirds: Most widely used Photography Composition Technique in Landscape Photography - Nature Photography Simplified

I'm currently reading the link you sent me, and my gf was just teaching about this the other day too. She said she'd teach me more this weekend.

Also, I think I know what you're talking about with the grid on the camera! That's so smart man, can't wait to try it out.

Thanks,
RickyMavic

P.S. BONUS SHOT

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 11.58.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 11.58.16 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I thing I can add is to take pictures, like these two, in AEB 5 shot. It helps with the dynamic range and stacking the photos will give you a little bit sharper image. Love the skyline shot!

AEB shot, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Is that something I can just change and leave it how it is?

I'm looking to get better at taking sharper images, so this is very helpful.

Thanks,
RickyMavic

I'm currently reading the link you sent me, and my gf was just teaching about this the other day too. She said she'd teach me more this weekend.

Also, I think I know what you're talking about with the grid on the camera! That's so smart man, can't wait to try it out.

I edited your shot to show you the grid 'Rule of Thirds'

HTH

grid1.jpg grid2.jpg grid3.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair