DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cell phone vs Tablet. What do you use?

Redfist

Reactions
I'm still fairly new to my Mavik Air and find that using my cell phone with my RC is difficult, especially in daylight. The controls on the screen are too small and the whole thing is too dim. Using a Tablet seems to be the next logical choice, but I'm curious what the more experienced pilots do. Thoughts?

I have two different solutions. First my IPhone 7+ with 5.5 inch screen and a DJI sunshade over this or solution two is the goggles RE.

Reactions: Reeguy
Most of the time, I use a Lenovo 10 inch Tablet with Litchi for the control. DJI4 is installed, but rarely used.

I use a Crystalsky now, best brightness but expensive and heavy. I normally use a Samsung S8 perfect for quick flights, Samsung Tab A 8.0" ,nice large screen with an around the neck holder.(keeps it closer to the eyes and independent of the controller good for phones too)

Have a Samsung S8 which is brilliant to fly with, It's amoled screen is vivid & really bright and maxing out on over 1000 nits.
Also use a Samsung Tab S4 which is really nice with it's large 10,5 inch amoled screen which in a sense compensate for it's lesser brightness of 600 nits.

Both are really good & haven't yet felt a need to use a sun shade.

I have used an iPad 3 but don’t suggest using it as it heats up too quickly. Not enough computing powers maybe.

I have a Samsung Tab 3 Large is good but I guess I could have gone smaller and a little litter.

I'm still fairly new to my Mavik Air and find that using my cell phone with my RC is difficult, especially in daylight. The controls on the screen are too small and the whole thing is too dim. Using a Tablet seems to be the next logical choice, but I'm curious what the more experienced pilots do. Thoughts?
Hi.
I use my iPhone XR but have the same problems as you. My other problem is not enough money to buy a tablet. Either way I’d suggest a hood. I have my phone with me all the time so I guess at the moment it’s one less thing (tablet) to carry as well.

Hi.
I use my iPhone XR but have the same problems as you. My other problem is not enough money to buy a tablet. Either way I’d suggest a hood. I have my phone with me all the time so I guess at the moment it’s one less thing (tablet) to carry as well.
Sorry, also meant to say you may want to consider putting it into flight mode so you don’t get any calls/texts etc when flying.

If I am going out specifically for flying I use a iPad mini 2. It does well and has reasonably good lighting. I don't have a hood, but it would be useful at times in full direct sunlight. However, I am usually looking for shade for myself in those circumstances. If I am traveling. I use the phone I am carrying with me. Usually a iPhone XS which also has a bright screen.

I use a Samsung Note 8 (1200nit), as bright as a Crystalsky and it fits in the controller. Easily seen in daylight. I have been through Nexus (latest) and Amazon Fire 8, both with hoods to aid in viewing. These work well and are are a good value, but require sideloading.
I recently added an iPad 10.2 that I mount on a tripod or use a Mavmount for my controller. Depending on my flying needs I have alternatives. All these work for my Mavic Air. Hope this helps. Enjoy your flying.

I’m using a iPad mini 5 which works well. Didn’t fit tight in the arms though. Have added a tempered glass screen protector so it’s a little thicker but haven’t tried it yet. Also have a tablet mount. It’s bright but still needs a sun shade at times.

A tablet is nice but on my Samsung Tab E it still gets washed out in the sun. I carry a piece of light cardboard for a sun shield.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929