DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

cellular contract necessary with ipd mini 5

fxsales1959

Reactions
I'm back.... and thank you all for your patience previously. regarding Mavic pro and ipad mini 5 with cellular. I'm about to pull trigger on ipadmini5 with cellular and wifi. I got to thinking (dangerous) if i needed a data contract since I'v read the mini 5 has a GPS '"chip" (or so I've read) . Many places I go may be void of cellular service. (everglades, smoky mountains) I know i can "cache"maps, but havent learned how. it seems to do that I would have to know where i am going. I know i sounds like a dumb blonde (sorry blondies) but many times I will be working with customers in let's say charlotte NC and i'll have a block of time i can head to the hills for some flying. it will be spur of th moment and not really knowing where i need to cahce maps, when i lesrn how.
so back to the question. if i don't have cell service will the gps in the ipad suiffce to still have live maps. I am very familiar with how gps works, as i hve multiples in my boats and cars.
thank you for being patient.

thank you,
I've become accustomed to flying locally with my iphone 6splus, and having real time maps.I know i can fly but want gps maps. that's where I'm confused.
You must download them while you have wifi. Then they will work.

Somebody will chime in with "how" soon.

I could look it up but just got home from work.

Caching maps has some issues. Open the Fly app while you have WiFi. Go to the map and go to all of the areas you plan to fly in. Those areas you cover will be cached. But here’s the problem. You must leave the app opened up and your device turned on.
That isn’t always possible for me so I loose anything I’ve cached. Dji needs to correct this by allowing us to store cached maps like so many other apps do.

You must leave the app opened up and your device turned on.
I’m trying to understand this. Are you saying that after you collect the map info you want while in a WiFi connection, you must leave the device turned on while you travel to whatever area you intend to fly??
Did I miss something?

Caching maps has some issues. Open the Fly app while you have WiFi. Go to the map and go to all of the areas you plan to fly in. Those areas you cover will be cached. But here’s the problem. You must leave the app opened up and your device turned on.
That isn’t always possible for me so I loose anything I’ve cached. Dji needs to correct this by allowing us to store cached maps like so many other apps do.
I'm trying to understand as well, but thank you. hre's my situation. i may be places (smoky mountains) where there is no cellservice to tether my iphone. i was hoping to cache a map at hotel, then use it when i get to the loction i cached. (thus the term cache.) for all my local shooting spots i my have cell service to tether my ipad to my iphone. then i just have to cche the map then fly?

I'm trying to understand as well, but thank you. hre's my situation. i may be places (smoky mountains) where there is no cellservice to tether my iphone. i was hoping to cache a map at hotel, then use it when i get to the loction i cached. (thus the term cache.) for all my local shooting spots i my have cell service to tether my ipad to my iphone. then i just have to cche the map then fly?

Exactly as I mentioned. “ You must leave the app opened up and your device turned on.”
If you close the App or turn off your device, you loose your cache. Dji does not have a way to save a cached map.

I have linked to instructions before on multiple threads...I was told the "Fly" app doesn't keep memory by some, some says it does. I can't imagine DJI let this off or a oversite, but we have seen worse by them... I don't have a Mini or the fly app (Or MA2) But I would really like to know that Cache isn't or is verified on power off Fly App side, both by Android and iOS users :)

And to further, if this is the case that Cache isn't :p I would get the word out on all platforms, forums and media and those FB and Instagram and social media things...And tell DJI that this is unacceptable and they better get "to it" and get it figured out and into the next update ;)

Last edited:
By the way, activetrack is optically based and does not need or use the device GPS.

Follow me however, does go by and needs the device GPS. M2 and Mini doesn't have Follow Me, at least not with the DJI Go/Fly apps.

Reactions: fxsales1959
By the way, activetrack is optically based and does not need or use the device GPS.

Follow me however, does go by and needs the device GPS. M2 and Mini doesn't have Follow Me, at least not with the DJI Go/Fly apps.
thank you...I've been in broadcasting & post production my whole career. I'm sure to be a perfectionist
I appreciate all of Y'alls patience

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato