DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Central bright zone in raw (DNG) from Mavic Air

Prismatic

Reactions
I've hit a roadblock trying to shoot RAW (actually DNG) photos with my Mavic Air : there is a distinct central bright zone, and I have not been able to tame it. (Note: I edit photos with Corel PaintShop Pro 2020. For those unfamiliar, PSP is a poor-man's Photoshop, with a similarly long history and feature list, but PSP is more economical.) Has anyone else seen this and found a solution?

The image below is an example of what I mean. It's a straight-down (gimbal angle: -90°) shot of nearly untracked snow on a level soccer (football) field under cloudy/hazy skies. It should be entirely uniform in brightness.

The DNG (our raw format) is on the left; the simultaneous JPG is on the right. On importing the DNG file, I used the anti-vignette tool to (more-or-less) bring the brightness of the corners up to the "average" tone. The problematic bright zone remains obvious. Note that the drone's onboard JPG conversion achieves the kind of uniformity you'd want, as shown on the right.

Compare.jpg

Note that the bright zone is not just unmanaged vignetting. A plot of the brightness corner-to-corner in the raw file would be low at each end (representing the vignetting) and high in the middle (representing the bright zone), with a relatively flat region between. Here's a simulated plot, to illustrate:

pseudoPlot.jpg

After correction, you want that to end up as a flat line. The anti-vignette tool can "pick up" the low ends of that curve, which is good. But if you push it too hard, to compensate for the too-bright central region, then the corners are over-compensated and become too bright. So you need to depress the brightness in the (rather large) central bright zone without affecting the perimeter of the photo (which anti-vignette can handle).

But even as a long-time and skilled user of PSP, I've found no way to obtain a uniform result. The obvious solution would be to select a circular area near the center and feather it--massively--to cover the rest of the image. This "graduated" selection would let me pull the brightness down to achieve uniformity of tone; I could then adjust the overall brightness as needed. But PSP can't feather to that extreme degree, and any feathered selection that doesn't cover the entirety of the image leaves a visible ring.

RAW format has so many advantages, but until I find a solution for this, it's of no use to me. I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has A) found the same issue in their raw (DNG) photos from the Mavic Air, and has B) found a software tool that can correct it.

Last edited:
I have either not encountered this or have not noticed it and I exclusively shoot in RAW format. The only picture I have that makes me think what the ???? is this this one and the part I have circled. It looked weird but I dismissed it as a stitching issue (I don't remember clearly but this was a pano of sorts)

Attachments

• DJI_0640-HDR-M.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 37
It's called 'Heiligenschein':

It's actually several effects that can create similar bright spots or halos if the observer is lit from the behind ...

As you said ... the Heligenschein effect, but also Brocken spectre & Opposition surge.

Here a nifty YT clip showing the Opposition surge :)

It's actually several effects that can create similar bright spots or halos if the observer is lit from the behind ...
It was morning and I was shooting with the sun behind me in my case, so that makes sense.

As you said ... the Heligenschein effect, but also Brocken spectre & Opposition surge.
OK, I was fine with learning something new everyday. But three new things a day? I am not sure I can keep up with that. What was the name of that old movie where a guy tries to teach another guy the alphabet and he gets to the letter C and the other guy complains about his head hurting? :D

• Haha
Reactions: slup

Here a nifty YT clip showing the Opposition surge :)

@slup @Keule @Doppler
Please, guys, none of this has the slightest bearing on the issue.

Remember, the artifact is removed by the Mavic Air's onboard processing to obtain the JPG with uniform tonality. It doesn't—and indeed couldn't—remove any actual optical effects.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Can you attach that example (DNG + in camera jpeg), can have a look at them through PS & Lightroom ... do you have more examples?

Reactions: Prismatic
Can you attach that example (DNG + in camera jpeg), can have a look at them through PS & Lightroom ... do you have more examples?

Yes, thanks! Here's a link to a ZIP file with more examples.

There are three images from two different Mavic Airs (JPG & DNG, so six files total). The file names tell you which is which. "Drone 2" is actually my first MA, which was replaced <*cough*> under Refresh. "Drone 1" is what I'm flying now.

Drone 1, Picture 1: This is the example in the OP. The view is straight-down on a playing field. The sky is a dense haze, though I wouldn't say overcast; it's mid-afternoon. Fresh snow nearly obscures all previous tracks.

Drone 1, Picture 2: this one reignited my interest in this issue. It's a small backlit island; the lake is frozen, and has fresh snow. I thought I'd give RAW another crack. WTF? At first I took the bright region to be the rough mirroring of the sun on the snow. Then I realized it was off axis for that, and memories of my early tests (see next) flooded back.

Drone 2: (one photo) This a relative close-up of the screen at a drive-in movie theater. The sun was behind the screen, and the (massive) screen shaded the drone. It was a deliberate test shot, part of an early effort to get a handle on this problem. Frustrated, I eventually gave up and resigned myself to JPGs. I'd almost forgotten.

I opened them all up in Aperture and they look fine. No hotspots whatsoever.

MY ACR is pretty old but they also look fine in that.

I just opened the DNG files in Lightroom and they look fine. No central bright zone whatsoever! The histogram doesn't show a peak in the middle either.Untitled.pngUntitled.png

Last edited:
I think PSP is your problem. Perhaps try viewing raw files in other image viewers :DThumbswayup

I think PSP is your problem. Perhaps try viewing raw files in other image viewers :DThumbswayup
@Prismatic , I suspected this, that's why I was eager to get hold of one of your DNG files to check myself. Will verify through my PS set anyhow after work ... will let you know.

@Prismatic , I suspected this, that's why I was eager to get hold of one of your DNG files to check myself. Will verify through my PS set anyhow after work ... will let you know.
Interesting. The hotspot also is visible in another "affordable" photo editor (which I have but never use)--CyberLink PhotoDirector, as seen below. Oh, and both editors also show a slight reddish cast in the hotspot.

So two different RAW viewers show the same issues? That's just weird, and one reason I've considered this a "real" phenomenon rather than a software glitch.

In fact, when you do that test, @slup, would you post a screenshot or two? Please maximize the contrast for comparison, as below, to reveal nuances too slight to see otherwise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drive-in theater screen as seen in CyberLink PhotoDirector (lower exposure, but shot at the same time as the Drone-2 photo I Dropboxed):
1581948214447.png

Same movie screen image, with enhanced contrast:
1581948128542.png

In fact, when you do that test, @slup, would you post a screenshot or two? Please maximize the contrast for comparison, as below, to reveal nuances too slight to see otherwise.
If you're pushing it that hard, does it not start being an operator error instead of being a hardware error?

Have you tried downloading a lightroom trial?

• Angry
So two different RAW viewers show the same issues? That's just weird, and one reason I've considered this a "real" phenomenon rather than a software glitch.
Here a quick import from your DNG files in Capture One. The brighter area in the center can also be seen here:

2020-02-17_17-00-33.png

Here a quick import from your DNG files in Capture One. The brighter area in the center can also be seen here:

View attachment 94259
And I see on the side both the other DNG images show the same hotspot. What the devil?!? It's very strange that different software is delivering wildly different results from the same raw images.

It's very strange that different software is delivering wildly different results from the same raw images.
Without messing with the original files, here the results with LR 6.0 (classic):
2020-02-17_17-37-50.png
Here the images look OK ...

It might worth investigating a little bit ...

Yeah ... can only add in with that this most probably have to do with the Raw developer used. Also note that a sunlit snowy ground most probably will have a bit of a hotter spot somewhere in the pic as it's lit by one source & not a full studio light kit & the angles between the reflected light & the camera differs a bit through the picture ... should be minimal though.

Can't say that I notice anything like what you have...

My tries in PS Lightroom:

Drone-1.photo 1 Lightroom.jpg
Drone-1.photo 2 Lightroom.jpg
Drone-2 Lightroom.jpg

And from PS Camera RAW:

Drone-1.photo 1 PS Cameraraw.jpg
Drone-1.photo 2 PS Cameraraw.jpg
Drone-2 PS Cameraraw.jpg

Yeah ... can only add in with that this most probably have to do with the Raw developer used. Also note that a sunlit snowy ground most probably will have a bit of a hotter spot somewhere in the pic as it's lit by one source & not a full studio light kit & the angles between the reflected light & the camera differs a bit through the picture ... should be minimal though.

Can't say that I notice anything like what you have... <*snip*>
First, thanks to you and @Keule; clearly not all RAW editors are capable of correctly handling a Mavic Air DNG image.

I don't understand this statement: "... this most probably have to do with the Raw developer used." Can you clarify what you mean? I suppose a developer might look for a preexisting RAW manager and embed that in his/her application, rather than 'reinvent the wheel'. And I can further suppose that such a RAW management package could be defective.

But here we see three different tools (Corel PaintShop Pro, CyberLink PhotoDirector, and Capture One) delivering similar--but not identical--incorrect results on these files. You'd not expect that. Obviously, Adobe has the magic, but how are these other vendors skating by with these enormous issues in how they handle RAW images? It's baffling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots