DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chance Whale Footage

So cool.

One of the reasons I bought the Air (my first drone) is I thought of all the cool places I've been where drone footage of what I saw would have been awesome to have. This reminds me of standing on a cliff in Kodiak AK and seeing a whale out in the distance. I took the best pics I could with my camera but when you look at the pics now all you see are black specs in the middle of the frame. I wish I had this drone back then but I won't have to wish anymore.

Just wanted to let you know that was not je on the paddle board. Rules are not come closer than 100 yards. Which they closer than! I was abut 1000ft away on shore. Wish I had a speaker phone on the Mavic to tell those people they're breaking the law! Well, they're tourists so can't be helped I guess.

Who in their right mind would paddle up to that? It looks like a great way to get killed with a quick fin slap. It reminds me of the idiots I saw in Yellowstone that would walk right up to a wild buffalo or elk to get a better picture.

Reactions: mjb9369
Just wanted to let you know that was not je on the paddle board. Rules are not come closer than 100 yards. Which they closer than! I was abut 1000ft away on shore. Wish I had a speaker phone on the Mavic to tell those people they're breaking the law! Well, they're tourists so can't be helped I guess.

Haha I liked how you flipped that around. “I was about a 1000ft away on shore.” Well your drone wasn’t 1000 ft away from animal.

Anyways I had an opportunity to take vids of whales when I had my Phantom 3. Failed!! Forgot to press record.

Beautiful! Next work on smoothing out your technique. Slower smoother motion when turning. Amazing shot.

Reactions: mjb9369
Yeah, I gotta work on it. Which setting is better tripod or cinematic?

In general (without using any flight modes) I found the best method is to manually adjust controller sensitivity (in particular yaw) and also gimbal sensitivity.

Tripod mode further significantly reduces the speed of the drone and the breaking distance changes to make that smoother as well.

Beautiful video ! Loved every second. So amazing to see stuff like this. Well done !

Not really a Mavic Air thread but it was done in absolute novice hands with my Mavic Air. Just wanted you guys to see the Whales.

Very jealous, and great footage. I was just there for a week and the only time we saw tons of whales from the shore was with winds of 40 mph. On the calm days, no whales in sight. Tried and tried but could never spot them with my Mavic.

I'm super jealous!!! That's absolutely amazing!! Great job!!

Who in their right mind would paddle up to that? It looks like a great way to get killed with a quick fin slap. It reminds me of the idiots I saw in Yellowstone that would walk right up to a wild buffalo or elk to get a better picture.
Agreed. Give the poor mammals some space. They get enough grief from the sound of boats. It's illegal to approach whales like that in Australia.

Great footage of remarkable creatures that deserve more legal protections.

Dude!!! I'd probably **** my pants and be jumping upside down if I encountered something like that when flying my drone! Congrats on such a great chance encounter!

Not really a Mavic Air thread but it was done in absolute novice hands with my Mavic Air. Just wanted you guys to see the Whales. It was amazingl

Fantastic, love the little one enjoying a play day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty