DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Change of Heart... batteries vs new drone but still no firm direction

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I was lucky to get in on a deal at B&H for a Mavic 2 Fly More kit for $300 delivered. I took it out of the carton and put the unopened box in the closet, presumably to use with my Mavic 2 Pro next year or so. But I've changed my mind and am returning it.

I decided to return this FMC for credit and will use the money to buy a Mavic 3 Classic or a refurb Mavic 3. What changed my mind?

Until now, had I wanted a Mavic 3 it would have been $2200 which would have included a controller that I already owned. DJI did not package the M3 without a controller, though RCN1's abound since the release of the Mini 2.

Now that both M3 and M3C can use a RCN1 or DJI RC, both of which I already own, I can now get a Mavic 3 refurb (when in stock) without having to pay up for a controller. $1469 for a M3C, no tax at B&H when they come into stock or possibly them getting a M3 refurb I think will be a better use of the $300 that I've already paid for on the credit card.

The dilemma I have now is which drone. The refurb via DJI is $1639 with no remote, but it would also charge another $164 in tax, for a total of $1803. For $334 less I can have a new M3C which leaves room to use the $300 credit to buy and extra M3 battery and then some. Mentally, since I've already paid off the credit card for the M2 FMC, that's $300 sitting there and the balance would be $1169, almost the same as I paid for Mini 3 with DJI RC. If B&H had a refurb with no controller, I would go that route. Funny how punitive sales tax rates can affect large ticket purchasses, no?

I guess what I'd like to know is, other than the 7x lens on the M3, what else is missing on the Mavic 3 classic?

Reactions: Dave Maine

I was lucky to get in on a deal at B&H for a Mavic 2 Fly More kit for $300 delivered. I took it out of the carton and put the unopened box in the closet, presumably to use with my Mavic 2 Pro next year or so. But I've changed my mind and am returning it.

I decided to return this FMC for credit and will use the money to buy a Mavic 3 Classic or a refurb Mavic 3. What changed my mind?

Until now, had I wanted a Mavic 3 it would have been $2200 which would have included a controller that I already owned. DJI did not package the M3 without a controller, though RCN1's abound since the release of the Mini 2.

Now that both M3 and M3C can use a RCN1 or DJI RC, both of which I already own, I can now get a Mavic 3 refurb (when in stock) without having to pay up for a controller. $1469 for a M3C, no tax at B&H when they come into stock or possibly them getting a M3 refurb I think will be a better use of the $300 that I've already paid for on the credit card.

The dilemma I have now is which drone. The refurb via DJI is $1639 with no remote, but it would also charge another $164 in tax, for a total of $1803. For $334 less I can have a new M3C which leaves room to use the $300 credit to buy and extra M3 battery and then some. Mentally, since I've already paid off the credit card for the M2 FMC, that's $300 sitting there and the balance would be $1169, almost the same as I paid for Mini 3 with DJI RC. If B&H had a refurb with no controller, I would go that route. Funny how punitive sales tax rates can affect large ticket purchasses, no?

I guess what I'd like to know is, other than the 7x lens on the M3, what else is missing on the Mavic 3 classic?
I just got a M3 Classic and I haven’t been able to find anything besides the zoom lens that is different.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I just got a M3 Classic and I haven’t been able to find anything besides the zoom lens that is different.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm glad I didn't open the packaging and B&H will take it back and only deduct $11 for return shipping. They don't have the M3C in stock yet, but that's good as winter flying opportunities here are not so great unless we get a good snowfall. HOWEVER we have unconfirmed winter trips to Nashville and Florida on the radar in December and late Jan or Feb. Much as I'd lke to defer the M3C/M3 Ref purchase as long as possible due to how the warranties come into play, if B&H gets a M3 refurb I'll grab it right away. I want to stay with B&H on either of these purchases because having "tax discounted" purchase provide a significant savings when the sale tax is 10%-10.25% (food here is 12%!!!).

I'd been debating selling my Mavic 2, but it didn't make much sense as I'd take a haircut on it and would end up buying another RCN1. So far I've used it to teach my friends how to fly which has been easier than trying just to use one drone between us.

As others have mentioned in other threads - the gimbal lock and upgraded gimbal bra. These may or may not be deal breakers for you. Up to you to decide.

Chris

As others have mentioned in other threads - the gimbal lock and upgraded gimbal bra. These may or may not be deal breakers for you. Up to you to decide.

Chris
I don't know. One would think that with a second camera loaded onto the gimbals as the M3 has one might need more protection. I've got an M2P which appears to have a similar camera/gimbal configuration to the M3C. Never a problem.

I have to assume that the 7x camera to some would be a boon, to others a doggle.... one that adds a whole lot of cost with possibly minimal return for the extra cash. JMO

Just to throw this in the mix you can get the complete Mavic 3 on Amazon Renewed for only $1,699.(link below) I bought my Air 2s this way and its been great. Amazon extends there no questions asked return policy to 90 days for renewed items. If it was me I would get the renewed Mavic 3 before I bought the New Mavis 3 Classic. They also have great deals on batteries( you have to catch it at the right time) I have bought 3 for my Air 2s for about $60 each and none had more then 5 cycles on it. As it is I am think I am going to wait until the classic is available on the renewed store and see about upgrading my 2S. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice but the 7X lens would be great. Good Luck!

Amazon Renewed Mavic 3

I don't know. One would think that with a second camera loaded onto the gimbals as the M3 has one might need more protection. I've got an M2P which appears to have a similar camera/gimbal configuration to the M3C. Never a problem.

I have to assume that the 7x camera to some would be a boon, to others a doggle.... one that adds a whole lot of cost with possibly minimal return for the extra cash. JMO
It all boils down to you and what you think. Others like @GadgetGuy have pointed out the pluses of the M3 and buying a refurbed version, but ultimately it's what you decide what's best for you regardless of what others say. We can only give our opinions. As I stated in the other thread, I if I was buying now, I would make the same decision I made when I didn't have a choice last March.

Chris

Just to throw this in the mix you can get the complete Mavic 3 on Amazon Renewed for only $1,699.(link below) I bought my Air 2s this way and its been great. Amazon extends there no questions asked return policy to 90 days for renewed items. If it was me I would get the renewed Mavic 3 before I bought the New Mavis 3 Classic. They also have great deals on batteries( you have to catch it at the right time) I have bought 3 for my Air 2s for about $60 each and none had more then 5 cycles on it. As it is I am think I am going to wait until the classic is available on the renewed store and see about upgrading my 2S. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice but the 7X lens would be great. Good Luck!

Amazon Renewed Mavic 3
That isn’t a terrible suggestion. As an Amazon prime customer with an Amazon credit card I get a 5% cashback reward every time I use the card. and perhaps that would free me to sell my mini2 as the new kit would include the RCN1 controller. I’m going to have to sleep on that a bit. I think if I have any hesitance it’s because I’m not sure that I trust Amazon’s “renewal“ program on the DJI drones as I trust DJI to refurbish their own drones.

That isn’t a terrible suggestion. As an Amazon prime customer with an Amazon credit card I get a 5% cashback reward every time I use the card. and perhaps that would free me to sell my mini2 as the new kit would include the RCN1 controller. I’m going to have to sleep on that a bit. I think if I have any hesitance it’s because I’m not sure that I trust Amazon’s “renewal“ program on the DJI drones as I trust DJI to refurbish their own drones.
Ya, I did the same except I choose the no interest for 18 months instead of the 5% cash back. I was thinking the same thing about the renewal program but you get the 90 days return and I bought the 2 year DJI refresh so I think I’m covered pretty good. The AIr 2S I got from Amazon was basically brand new still wrapped in plastic. The only difference I could see is the box came with an R sticker on it. Been great so far.

Ya, I did the same except I choose the no interest for 18 months instead of the 5% cash back. I was thinking the same thing about the renewal program but you get the 90 days return and I bought the 2 year DJI refresh so I think I’m covered pretty good. The AIr 2S I got from Amazon was basically brand new still wrapped in plastic. The only difference I could see is the box came with an R sticker on it. Been great so far.
Good to know. So you can get care/refresh on an Amazon renewal drone?

Obviously we all have to do what we think is in our own best interest, but one life lesson that I live by is DEBT IS YOUR ENEMY and make no mistake, credit is debt. It's a Dave Ramsey thing that I was doing long before I heard of Mr. Ramsey. That philosophy has served me well in many respects. I use credit cards for both convenience and the limited discounting the cashback rewards provide. I suppose 0% interest might be attractive if I had someplace else to park the money earning more than 5%.... Nah. I still wouldn't do it. I feel strongly that if I can't pay for something right now and have to make payments, I simply can't afford it.

Reactions: FLDave
Good to know. So you can get care/refresh on an Amazon renewal drone?

Obviously we all have to do what we think is in our own best interest, but one life lesson that I live by is DEBT IS YOUR ENEMY and make no mistake, credit is debt. It's a Dave Ramsey thing that I was doing long before I heard of Mr. Ramsey. That philosophy has served me well in many respects. I use credit cards for both convenience and the limited discounting the cashback rewards provide. I suppose 0% interest might be attractive if I had someplace else to park the money earning more than 5%.... Nah. I still wouldn't do it. I feel strongly that if I can't pay for something right now and have to make payments, I simply can't afford it.
Yeah, I’m with you but anytime I can pay things off over time with 0% interest it’s a no brainier to me. I have the $1,500 to pay it all at once but I would rather keep that money to invest. 5% of $1,500 is $75 and I can easily make more then that in 18 months. Anyway we gotten a little of topic this is about drones not a finance lesson LOL 😂!

Credit or no credit. This is individuals personal choices. Each to their own, but $75 over 18 months in this game is pretty negligible

Reactions: karlblessing
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS