DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Change your props after any off road excursion.....

Zanotti

Reactions
Like many of us, I have occasionally trimmed some tree branches or blades of grass and ground clutter. I had some props that had what I thought was cosmetic damage, but when ahead and changed them for new - big difference in control and quiet - I wondered why.

Took the props home and looked at them under a microscope and they were more damaged and I anticipated.

2020-09-16%2015.11.31-L.jpg

2020-09-16%2015.13.41-L.jpg

2020-09-16%2015.15.23-L.jpg

2020-09-16%2015.16.14-L.jpg

I plan on being more aggressive on changing them out - a full set at a time with factory blades when any question arises.

Z

Like many of us, I have occasionally trimmed some tree branches or blades of grass and ground clutter. I had some props that had what I thought was cosmetic damage, but when ahead and changed them for new - big difference in control and quiet - I wondered why.

Took the props home and looked at them under a microscope and they were more damaged and I anticipated.

I plan on being more aggressive on changing them out - a full set at a time with factory blades when any question arises.

Z
These have definitely seen better days!

Wow!

Im honestly surprised you didn't have more issues.

Last edited:
always change any damaged props as even if they look ok, as they can develop stress cracks during flight, and then you will be looking at a drone replacement after it hits the ground

Trying to start a beat-up-blade-contest are you - ? Because I feel compelled to post some :)
Maybe.
Someone else go first.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
always change any damaged props as even if they look ok, as they can develop stress cracks during flight, and then you will be looking at a drone replacement after it hits the ground

My sentiments exactly

Providing you can even find it after it hits the ground! Well - I reckon that's still a replacement or a repair minimum.
I'm paranoid lately and bought a small tracker device.

but are they expensive compared to the price of a new drone ,
these are the hidden costs of drone ownership that are not really mentioned in the hype to persuade you to purchase one

The tracker was a hundred bucks including a years service. Or you were referring to the repair... That is an unknown until it happens. :)
to be honest i was referring ,to any additional costs that no one mentions when the product is sold ,i suppose if you were told you need a decent device to fly with and spares and other things to enhance the flight experience then a lot of people might think twice before they purchase a drone ,this sits alongside information about the rules to fly by that the adds for the products never seems to mention

to be honest i was referring ,to any additional costs that no one mentions when the product is sold ,i suppose if you were told you need a decent device to fly with and spares and other things to enhance the flight experience then a lot of people might think twice before they purchase a drone ,this sits alongside information about the rules to fly by that the adds for the products never seems to mention
So true!

Oh yeah, go ahead, buy a Mavic Air 2, it's LESS than $1000.

Then there's the iPad, and the FMC, and the right filters, and the 107, and the bigger case, the leg extenders, the Wetsuit, the 3W antenna, the Rescue Jacket...

whoa whoa whoa...! Hold on now, nobody said anything about all that!

...weeeeeellll

So true!

Oh yeah, go ahead, buy a Mavic Air 2, it's LESS than $1000.

Then there's the iPad, and the FMC, and the right filters, and the 107, and the bigger case, the leg extenders, the Wetsuit, the 3W antenna, the Rescue Jacket...

whoa whoa whoa...! Hold on now, nobody said anything about all that!

...weeeeeellll
dont need all that.... especially the 107 unless you plan on making money with it. personally i dodnt have most you list and still have a great time flying

Reactions: itsneedtokno
What surprised me was that none of my devices were up to the task. A new iPad was necessary to fly.

And that was just the beginning. Add ons got expensive Fast. Now I know. Lol

Props. Keep lots of (OEM) spares. Have a bag of (bad) used already. ?happens. Phantom and MM.

Wow ... guess I better buy a microscope to inspect my props cause my inspection techniques are sorely lacking! Seriously those are well beyond what would pass as competent pre-flight inspection deeming them airworthy!!

dont need all that.... especially the 107 unless you plan on making money with it. personally i dodnt have most you list and still have a great time flying
It's not that you need it, per-se...

It makes flying more enjoyable.

No range issues, no VLOS issues, no weather issues, no recovery issues (less anxiety), no seeing-the-screen issues, no battery's dead issues, no worrying about selling a picture to a friend, no exposure triangle problems....

I forgot about the new PC for editing your h.265 4K60

Reactions: Nile Mcmillion
Absolutely time to change props. I would changed even much before to get to that point.

Out of curiosity, if you have never had a brush up or a crash and the blades look ok, do you guys ever change em? I need to check but im sure i have 100+ hours on my set and still fly them.

Out of curiosity, if you have never had a brush up or a crash and the blades look ok, do you guys ever change em? I need to check but im sure i have 100+ hours on my set and still fly them.

That's is my case right now. I have a Mavic 2 Pro with still the factory props looking perfectly and probably over +100 flies already. Until i don't have any prop damage or marks or chips i will keep the same props. The worse I seen was killed bugs but without affect props.

That's is my case right now. I have a Mavic 2 Pro with still the factory props looking perfectly and probably over +100 flies already. Until i don't have any prop damage or marks or chips i will keep the same props. The worse I seen was killed bugs but without affect props.
Yah the same, I tend to fly between 100-400 feet the most and I dont take too many risks with things to hit... Now rain that is another story.... My air 2 is my baby... Now my mini is my whipping boy.. I like to play can i skim that grass with it lol. Changed the props on it a few times.

Z
just a thought...the blades do look a little rough, but you might try using very fine( 900-1200 grit) emory cloth and lightly sand them smooth again. I know that this may not be as good as replacement blades , but it will do in a pinch...fly smart fly safe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent