DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Changed Propelllers and now it is a bit noisy

Lyon McKeil

Reactions
As I'm learning to fly I have had a few close encounters with fixed objects (I'm getting better). Nothing has brought down the Mini yet, but, the propellers defiantly took a bit of a beating. The recommendations out there say that when the propeller blades are showing signs of damage they should be replaced so I sat down and did that. I did have a bit of trouble screwing new blades back in but I seem to have gotten them all situated. I went for a test flight and I noticed that one arm was quite a bit noisier than the rest. I can't see anything that looks misaligned or out of place and the Mini seems to handle OK.

Anyone have any thoughts?

it is possible to get the screw slightly off center when you attach the new props if you take off and hover at eye height about 6ft away with the drone facing you just check that both blades are tracking at the same height as they rotate do this for all motors by slowly yawing the drone around use Cini mode as its nice and slow

Also, check the blade tip to body clearance is the same for each blade on a given motor and for left vs right motors.
Are the replacements genuine DJI blades that came in a bag of two blades? If so did you replace both blades as a pair?

Getting the screws back in straight was a challenge, but, I think I got it. I flew it at five ft eye level (I'm vertically challenged :)) with it in C mode and I couldn't detect any variations. I also set it on my bench and started the motors without taking off and watched them there and didn't see anything. Albeit, I'm not the best judge of such things.

The blade clearance does look the same and I used the genuine blades that came with the kit, replacing both blades for each motor taking care to follow the "instructions".

At the moment it appears to fly OK inside (I work in a small warehouse and there is little going on at the moment). Obviously I don't have GPS so it is a bit squirrelly but follows control inputs nicely. I'll take it out tomorrow and give it a good run at the house.

Thanks for your guidance!

If indoors in still air, let it hover for a minute or so (do not touch the controls during the hover) then land and switch off etc..
Have a look at the instructions on DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and download the ".txt" and ".DAT" flight logs for that test flight to your computer.
If you post .DAT on here the motors speeds can be checked and compared.

Alternatively, download the program CsvView CsvView Downloads and use CsvView to process at the DAT. When the processing is finished you should see something akin to the first image. If you click on "Motor Speeds" you should get something akin to the second image. The latter is a short, indoor, test hover just flown with a Mavic Mini
Depending on what app version you have on the phone the .txt maybe encrypted but it appears the DAT 'remains' readable, the app used in the flight shown was 1.3.0

Attachments

• csvview processed page one of my DAT's.png
    csvview processed page one of my DAT's.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 10
  • test-hover-MM_app_1.3.png
    test-hover-MM_app_1.3.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 10
Wow, didn't know it would do that!

Well y'all know what I'm going to be doing when I get hone. Thanks!!

Forgot to say, the room NEEDS to be well lit and free from things that will flap in the down draught and that can be seen by the downwards looking sensors.
In a separate flight or separate part of the flight bring the drone close and then put a finger tip to the bottom of each motor mount in turn ( whilst the drone hovers ) and compare the vibrations that you feel.
DO NOT push the drone in any direction and KEEP YOUR HAND CLEAR of the downward looking sensors otherwise the drone will climb away from your hand.
Obviously also keep your fingers clear of the props.

Oh, make sure you have syncing switched off otherwise you may loose the DAT

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair