DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging adapter?

maelstrom

Reactions
I use an iPhone and an iPad with my Mini (via lightning connectors). I don’t like having to unplug the cable from the controller every time I need to charge it. Does anyone know of a female adapter that I can connect to the male lightning connector on the cable that will plug into the charger?

Then get a Wall wart charger with a usb-C connector?

Thanks for that. Is it something you use as it says "Quick charger is not recommended because of heat during charging" - would that apply when charging the controller using the supplied DJI charger?

Ideally I'd prefer something which plugs directly into the DJI charger socket (standard USB plug to female lightning socket).

Last edited:
Sorry skip the wall charger.. No I do not use it.
Use the IOS Female to usb-C adapter and then the USB-C to USB-A adapter and plug it into the charger you already have..

I don't see any direct ios female to usb-a adapters around.

Maybe someone else has a better solution..

The problem is not just connection form factor, but also electrical characteristics.

The socket on the RC operates as a host when connected to a mobile device, with said mode activated by OTG wiring in the cable. Such connection has the RC provide power (where iOS can ignore it). I believe pin 5 grounded direct or through resistor activates this mode.

For charging or wired updating, it acts as a target, accepting power.

This is why the port is rectangular rather than trapezoid. Micro-USB A has a rectangular standard form factor. The more familiar trapezoid is Micro-USB B.

The DJI charger supplied with the FMC kit is an 18W QC3 compatible charger. Rapid charging at 9 or 12v is negotiated by specific voltages on the data lines. If the QC charger or device doesn't manage to negotiate the higher voltage, the charging reverts to standard 5V.

Only the AC and charging hub support negotiating QC charging. The RC charges at the standard 5v. Not sure what current it will charge at, probably 2A. LiPo charging current isn't linear though, particularly when charge level reaches 80%.

All the plugging and unplugging that those tiny little sockets get concerns me. I have had phones in the past that had trouble with those. But this is the first post I have seen that touches on it. How much of a concern is the durability of the the sockets?

How much of a concern is the durability of the the sockets?

None so far for the controller. However, I’ve had other devices with micro USB sockets which have not proven to be particularly reliable over the longer term and wanted to try to prevent this if I could.

Reactions: pgenneken
I don't think that will work. It's to provide a means of charging a lightning device.

The short lightning cable thats included with the RC engages the port as OTC where the RC provides power rather than receive it. It does this by grounding pin 5 in the Micro interface.

The RC charging cable on the other hand sets the port to "normal" device mode so it can accept power. This is done by NOT grounding pin 5.

No adapter can undo grounding pin 5 or undoing OTG.

It is a disappointment that the Mini RC doesn't have a full A port like the other RCs do.

he wants something like this

I’ve looked at the Apple Pencil charging leads which seem to be what I’m after but I’m not sure that they would work properly with the RC.

Last edited:
I’ve looked at the Apple Pencil charging leads which seem to be what I’m after but I’m not sure that they would work properly with the RC.
I considered those pencil chargers, too. Comments seem to suggest it will NOT work. I guess I probably could afford to experiment and if returns are permitted, return it if it does not work????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone