DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging battery with inverter

Mattman

Reactions
Are there any problems with charging the Mavic battery with the normal AC charger plugged into a DC/AC inverter (the kind you plug into a car cigarette lighter)?

Are there any problems with charging the Mavic battery with the normal AC charger plugged into a DC/AC inverter (the kind you plug into a car cigarette lighter)?
I've used a pure sine wave inverter to charge my Phantom 4 batteries. No problems encountered.

It can't really do any damage. The charger will draw what it needs, if that's not enough it will just be a slow charge. A small 400W inverter should be plenty. I also use a sine wave but it's not necessary.

I did it last week no problems at all

It can't really do any damage. The charger will draw what it needs, if that's not enough it will just be a slow charge. A small 400W inverter should be plenty. I also use a sine wave but it's not necessary.
Given that the charger is only around 50 watts, wouldn't a 100 watt inverter be fine?

As long as you have the required 120 VAC, or 240, or whatever is used in your country, you're good. And as long as it is AC, it doesn't have to be sinusoidal. The first thing it hits (inside the charger), is a step-down transformer that reduced the voltage to 5, 10, 20, or whatever the load requires. The stepped down voltage is then applied to (normally) a full-wave rectifier (4 diodes) which outputs DC to the load, along with some filter capacitors to get rid of any "ripple".

A car battery rating of 40 amphour (Ah) is fairly typical. This means that it could supply 4 amps (i.e.. run the inverter at around 50 watt for 10 hours). Running at 40 amps, the battery will last for significantly less than 1 hour

As long as you have the required 120 VAC, or 240, or whatever is used in your country, you're good. And as long as it is AC, it doesn't have to be sinusoidal. The first thing it hits (inside the charger), is a step-down transformer that reduced the voltage to 5, 10, 20, or whatever the load requires. The stepped down voltage is then applied to (normally) a full-wave rectifier (4 diodes) which outputs DC to the load, along with some filter capacitors to get rid of any "ripple".
As long as the filter capacitor is sufficiently large to deal with the additional ripple. Normally it should but manufacturers do cut corners.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803