DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging Mini 3 after flight

Ken-Mav-Mtl

Reactions
I just flew the Mini 3 for 20 minutes and once back home, I began to charge the battery in the drone (since my Mini 3 arrived first, and the Flymore kit will follow when DJI gets around to it).
I noticed the 4 green charging lites were not doing their usual display, which is to flash sequentially from left to right.
Instead the LED on the right was flashing on and off.
I disconnected the charging cable and tried it again. The 4 LEDs began to flash normally, from left to right.
I wonder why the LED on the far right was flashing?
It is possible the battery was to hot to charge?
Has anyone noticed a similar situation?

@Ken-Mav-Mtl if you left the battery in the drone after your flight it will take a while to cool down enough before it will let you charge it again its best after any flight to remove the battery from the drone regardless of whether you intend to fly with it again soon or not,

Thank you OMM for that good advice. Not having the Flymore with extra batteries will result in Mini 3 users wanting to get back in the air after depleting their battery.

Still I wonder why the far right LED was the only one to flash when I began to charge the battery. I guess it's fair to assume that such a signal means that the battery is too warm to charge.

Reactions: old man mavic
@Ken-Mav-Mtl have you noticed when you turn off the battery that the 4th light on the right flashes several times i believe it is indicating that the BMS is doing its shut down procedure ,just had a quick look in the manual ,and it states no 4 battery light blinks several times ,when charger is plugged in if A the battery is too cold / or B if it is too hot so i think that solves the riddle

@old man mavic, thanks again for the additional info on the battery LEDs.
(sounds like a Goldilocks story... "A" the battery is too cold / or "B" its too hot, so "C".. just wait until its just right) :)

• Haha
@AusTrekie not sure if your post is directed at me ,but yes i am using a 30w charger

@AusTrekie not sure if your post is directed at me ,but yes i am using a 30w charger
Hi Old Man Mavic, Post was directed initially to the original post for this enquiry. Have to say you are a wealth of info and always enjoy you comments. Hope to visit your country around June-July next year if all goes to plan, however not fully sure of Drone regulations in Uk, will have to research a bit more, hope to take either my Mini 2 or recently purchased Mini 3 Pro.

just go on the CAA website and you will be able to access all the info you need ,unless things change you will need to obtain your operator ID cost at the moment is £10 originally £9 ,and lasts for a year from the date you do it, you could also do the Flyer ID test if you wanted, its free and lasts 5 years ,you should be able to have that all done before you come on holiday

Blinking far right led means drone/battery is too hot. You don't need to do anything. Just leave it plugged, and after cooling down it will start to charge automatically.

Blinking far right led means drone/battery is too hot. You don't need to do anything. Just leave it plugged, and after cooling down it will start to charge automatically.
Thank you for that valuable bit of info Sorgelig. I figured it had to do with over-temp while charging. To be on the safe side, I would not leave it plugged in and unattended since there is a risk of overheating if something went wrong with the "intelligent" battery. Minimal risk but not worth the risk.

Wondering if you are using a 30 watt USB C Charger, if not this may effect the way the Battery is charging. Just a thought !
Just got my Mini 3 Pro yesterday, not set it up currently, also still waiting on the Flymore Kit, no ETA at this stage. Happy Flying.
Hi I’m using the 30 W usb-c charger from google sold in Best Buy for 25$ Works great and very fast…

Reactions: burma419
Hi I’m using the 30 W usb-c charger from google sold in Best Buy for 25$ Works great and very fast…
In looking for my usb c 30 watt charging plug I went to Best Buy and picked up their brand….the Insignia 30 watt charging plug because it was cheaper. Well it does not work with the Mini 3 Pro or the charging hub. Returned it and got the Google charger based on your comment. It does work great. Thanks.

@Ken-Mav-Mtl
As said, a guide line you should obey to expand the lifetime of the batteries:
  1. never fly until the very last %, as a rule of thumb, you should aim to land at 20 - 25 %
  2. after you completed your flight, remove the battery from the drone
  3. let it rest for a bit (depending on the temperatures) for at least 20 - 30 mins to cool down before another recharge
These batteries are labeled intelligent and they provide good sensors to ensure that.
Still you can help to lessen the stress on the electronics and chemicals with these simple steps.

That said, a look into the manual is always a good idea, as it is well documented:
dji_battery_alerts.PNG
Source: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_3_Pro/UM/20220519/DJI_Mini_3_Pro_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf (page 35)

Happy flying! ;)

PS: For flying in the UK, just have a look at the CAA's regulatory: The Drone and Model Aircraft Code | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore