DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging of Mavic 2 batteries from portable power bank

PC1134

Reactions
I'm struggling to work out how to charge mavic 2 batteries while in the field, away from AC power.

I have a 2000v Anker powerbank with USB C outputs. Is there any way I can charge up my M2 batteries from this?

I'm struggling to work out how to charge mavic 2 batteries while in the field, away from AC power.

I have a 2000v Anker powerbank with USB C outputs. Is there any way I can charge up my M2 batteries from this?

I’m sure you mean 20,000 mAh. Unfortunately there’s no way to do this that would be worth it in terms of money and safety. You need something like this.

power bank is fine, you need to have 12-14V output - (like a cigaret lighter) and you can use a car charger that comes with the flymore kit or the aftermarket chargers made for the DJI drones
why not use your car's battery?

car charger - DJI amamzon
or flee-bay $59

Last edited:

This pack charges everything at the same time. I think the specs say 3 to 5 charges , but to date I have only done 2 charges on a outing. since I have 3 batteries that will give me almost 2 hours flight time. I believe the charging estimate is based off of the batteries having 20-30% charge left when placed in the charger. It will also depend on the temperature of your operating environment when using. They work great for me though. This pack is for the M2, but they make them for the MP, MA, Spark and others also.

For the cost of one battery you can't beat it..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HVM4R95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Review:
smatree mavic 2 pro portable charging station - Bing video

the issue is that the Mavic 2 battery requires a minimum 17v 3.5a charging current. That changing bank will supply at most 12v 3amp. You’d first of all need to rig some upconverter because even the car charger needs minimum 12.6 volts input. Then hope and pray that the powerbank doesnt over heat and explode.

Just safely wise it’s better to get that smetree thing.

Reactions: tleedom
The Smatree (for the M2) has a 10,000mAh Lip battery, 17.6v / 3A x2 output. The Mavic Air version has a 14250mAh battery (go figure).

Yes, agree the Smatree charging station looks great. It is not available on Amazon AU so by the time you do currency conversion and post from US to Australia, it becomes an expensive exercise. I can get a 4th M2 battery for AUD$152 off eBay so that might give me sufficient flying time before I can get back to the car to do the charging of them then maybe?

They are not available on ebay there either?

Yes, agree the Smatree charging station looks great. It is not available on Amazon AU so by the time you do currency conversion and post from US to Australia, it becomes an expensive exercise. I can get a 4th M2 battery for AUD$152 off eBay so that might give me sufficient flying time before I can get back to the car to do the charging of them then maybe?
Check uavme in queensland. They sell these
Smatree DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Battery Quick-Charge Portable Charging Station SP180

Not cheap though

USB power banks internally use mostly rechargeable batteries with 3.7 volts. For example, to provide 5 volts at the output, the voltage of the battery is converted accordingly, and this does not happen without conversion losses.

The power loss can be up to 25% and depends on the quality of the installed electronic components.

For example, if the powerbank has 20000mAh at 3.7V, then it's 74Wh, but you'll hardly get more than 55.5Wh from the USB output. Such a power bank will not be able to fully charge a single M2x battery.

In addition, the power banks are often sold with fake capacity specifications. That's why even power banks with more than 20000mAh are too weak to fully charge M2x batteries.

The batteries of the M2x need a voltage of max. 17.4 Volt and for a full charge nearly 60Wh. In addition, the charging process will require slightly more energy than the battery can deliver later, because even here energy losses occur.

Usually Mavic batteries are charged with 1C, which means charging times close to 1 hour. 1C means if the battery has 3. 9Ah, for example, then it will be charged with a current of 3.9A.

In fact, the intelligent DJI batteries accept charging currents from approximately 0.5 amps, as well as above 1C, resulting in correspondingly longer or shorter charging times.

In short: YES, it is quite possible with a USB power bank and a DC StepUp converter to charge a Mavic battery, but it makes little sense. A DIY solution could bring between 10 and 12.5 watts per hour, resulting in a charging time of more than six hours per battery ...

Reactions: brett8883
Thanks everyone for your comments and help. After consideration and difficulty obtaining the recommended charger, I've decided to buy a 4th battery to give me longer flying times in the field. I will then use the supplied car charger to replenish all 4 batteries.

Reactions: mnis and AnzacJack
More batteries makes always makes sense finacially.
It's nice to have any AC charger to top them up though, like if your going camping or have %50
battery left and such.

This one is super expensive (a lot of rich guys on here so I'll post it) but is the best outside of gasoline I think

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerhouse-120000mAh-Alternative-Rechargeable/dp/B0196GQAKM

EMS teams use it so When you crash your mavic, and are feeling like Ed Harris in the Abyss, you could do try to Jump Start it

Edit: A smaller version: Powerhouse 200
Maybe cheaper, dunno

Reactions: mnis
I checked out the Anker Powerhouse mentioned earlier. $650 US. Then I found this smaller unit below, also on Amazon. Only $135 US. Says it will power drones; shows a Phantom in the ad. Hmmmm...

Admittedly, I have zero experience doing electrical-type calculations or computations, so an opinion on this unit from those who do would be greatly appreciated. (Like Clint Eastwood said, “A man’s gotta know his limitations.”) Thanks in advance.

Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 160, 167Wh Solar Generator Lithium Battery Backup Power Supply with 110V/100W(Peak 150W) AC Inverter Outlet for Outdoors Camping Fishing Emergency https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYJVFNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TS7GCb4WBWVZ2

Last edited:
I checked out the Anker Powerhouse mentioned earlier. $650 US. Then I found this smaller unit below, also on Amazon. Only $135 US. Says it will power drones; shows a Phantom in the ad. Hmmmm...

Admittedly, I have zero experience doing electrical-type calculations or computations, so an opinion on this unit from those who do would be greatly appreciated. (Like Clint Eastwood said, “A man’s gotta know his limitations.”) Thanks in advance.

Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 160, 167Wh Solar Generator Lithium Battery Backup Power Supply with 110V/100W(Peak 150W) AC Inverter Outlet for Outdoors Camping Fishing Emergency https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYJVFNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TS7GCb4WBWVZ2
Basically, you just have to learn how to operate a charger, and what parameters your batteries need. Matching cables and devices are available online.

For example, you take something like this little guy here:

20181231_021125.jpeg

A DIY battery (made by yourself, or made to order). Together with a very compact ISDT charger and matching MPx charging cable, the whole has about 2 kilograms of weight and 400 watt hours for less than 250 €.

Once charged, you can fully charge 6.5x M2x batteries or 9x M1x batteries far away from car batteries or AC.

Another advantage is that you can determine with which charging currents / what speed your Mx batteries are recharged. And with little additional effort it is possible to charge two Mavic batteries at the same time.

Certainly it is not a thing for everyone, because basic knowledge about charging technologies is required :)

Last edited:
There are many great ideas here, but building battery packs to charge other battery packs can get expensive and sometimes counter-intuitive.
In case of a DJI product, it is just a really expensive li-po battery with charging and safety built in (sealed in) into a proprietary pack. What is it a 4 cell 3800mah li-po battery?
I don't know the OP's situation of where and when he needs to charge his batteries but there are all kinds of possibilities.
When I go to fly-meets, jet rallies which often extends into the day (all day) people bring small 1000-2000W inverter based (<-clean power) semi-quiet generators and run several chargers to charge batteries for power-hungry toys - helicopters and airplanes.

Not at the present time. I have researched it and currently I haven’t been able to find anything.

There are many great ideas here, but building battery packs to charge other battery packs can get expensive and sometimes counter-intuitive.
In case of a DJI product, it is just a really expensive li-po battery with charging and safety built in (sealed in) into a proprietary pack. What is it a 4 cell 3800mah li-po battery?
I don't know the OP's situation of where and when he needs to charge his batteries but there are all kinds of possibilities.
When I go to fly-meets, jet rallies which often extends into the day (all day) people bring small 1000-2000W inverter based (<-clean power) semi-quiet generators and run several chargers to charge batteries for power-hungry toys - helicopters and airplanes.

This is also a great idea to use something like a quiet and compact power generator. Then the original DJI power supplies can be used for charging. Only the fuel has to be extra and sufficiently available :)

But a big advantage of the DJI batteries is the integrated charging electronics, eliminating the balancer connections and the fumbling with it, it must be set for charging only voltage and current. Everything else regulates the battery internally.

M1x = 3S / 11.4V / 3830mAh / 43.6Wh

M2X = 4S / 15.4V / 3850mAh / 59.29Wh

There are still batteries, and charging them alternatively is not rocket science :)

Think of the great opportunity to refill your DJI batteries with solar energy away from civilization.

But yes, the OP has already made the best possible decision. Extra-flight batteries are hard to beat in terms of weight, compactness and application...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada