DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging RE goggles

ruggb

Reactions
i am trying to charge the RE goggles with a QC 2 type charger and it keeps showing a lower charge level every time I check it. I know they are QC 3 and the charger is QC 3 but I don't have that charger available. I would expect it to charge with the QC 2 just slower, not discharge. Do I have a problem or will it only charge with a QC 3 charger.

I guess if u understood chargers u would have a better answer. Apparently, from other posts, this is not an unreported issue. FYI, a qc3 charger outputs 12v, 9v, or 5v based on battery demand. A qc2 charger only has 9v and 5v so it will charge slower, not discharge. A plain charger only has 5v so it will charge even slower. After all day I have gone from 43% to 39% so I think I have a problem.

No, I don't know enough about chargers. I DO know a little more after reading your response. That was helpful, definitely, in understanding these chargers a little better..
Now..not pertaining to your issue, but is using a slower charge charger healthier for your battery? Likewise, are the faster charging chargers worse on the wear for your battery?
Have you found an answer to your problem?

My impression is that slower charging is better based on past charging directives. I have not seen any new updates to this so the question is still looking for an answer.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
My conclusion for my goggles is there IS a problem with them. Nothing will charge them.
if u are interested here is more detail I posted on another thread. This whole thing is mostly not understood by most people - even technical ppl like me.

USB Chargers started out at 500ma (which is the USB2 spec also), then increased over time to 3A. Current chargers are labeled just Quick Charge (usually 5V @2A), or Quickcharge 2, 3 or recently 4. The #2 chargers are capable of outputting 9V if the battery demands it. the #3 chargers can also output 12v and the #4 chargers can output about 20V. They will be marked with each voltage specified, if you have a magnifying glass. Each upgrade decreases the charging time. The device, of course, must have the capability to use the voltages otherwise only 5V will be available. The Goggles are QC3 capable therefore they use 12v, 9v, and 5v during the cycle.
Technically, you can use any charger for any USB device. The downside is that if the battery requires 3A and it is only getting 2A then the process is slowed down. Likewise, if the higher voltages are not available. However, 20 hours to go from 43 to 59% would indicate you are trying to charge it from a USB2 port or a 500ma adapter and/or are using a cheap cable. If you have an adapter capable of 5V @2A and a cable designed for 2A then I would guess it would be fully charged after 20 hours. A cheap cable will have very small gauge wires and therefore drop too much voltage at 2A. A very long cable would also be a problem.
If you are using a QC3 adapter and a robust cable then you must eliminate the cable and adapter as a problem by connecting it to another QC3 capable device and observing the rate of charge there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada