DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging remote controller during use?

stealle

Reactions
Can you use the remote controller at the same time it is being charged by a power bank?

Reactions: Cbnicholes
Can you use the remote controller at the same time it is being charged by a power bank?

Yes but you will have to connect your phone or tablet via the bottom USB port as you charge the controller via the same port that the short device USB cable plugs in to.

Yes but you will have to connect your phone or tablet via the bottom USB port as you charge the controller via the same port that the short device USB cable plugs in to.
Thanks for answering the question.

Can anyone recommend a good power bank that it slim, would be easy to attach in some way to the controller and at least double the life of the remote controller?

Personally I would avoid attaching anything like a charger to the remote. The remote battery will get you through around 6 to 9 packs (maybe more) if I remember correctly. Will you ever have more than that out with you whilst flying for one period non stop?

Still if the need arises and you must, then I would go for something like this, I have one and it does a sterling job charging various items as it gives out the amps needed to charge efficiently. Anything smaller and you will probably drain faster than you charge. Go for a reputable brand/name, avoid cheap power banks. Pop it in your pocket/bag and just use a long micro USB cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012SNMWCK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can definitely see a need in case you forget to charge your controller. The only hard thing is, you need an extra cord to plug power bank into the micro usb port, then a regular USB to whatever phone jack you need. Putting the power bank in your pocket will probably be a good option.

I can definitely see a need in case you forget to charge your controller. The only hard thing is, you need an extra cord to plug power bank into the micro usb port, then a regular USB to whatever phone jack you need. Putting the power bank in your pocket will probably be a good option.

Not being funny but then you will probably forget to charge the drone batteries as well. Just get into the routine of charging them together the night before you intend fly. Remember that the drone batteries are smart/intelligent and have a discharge feature that you can set for up to 10 days. If you do not use the batteries for 10 days after charging then they will discharge to around 65% so you will have to charge again before going out. It is all a matter or routine but will not hurt of course to carry a bank and usb cable in your kit just in case. Remember to charge the USB Power Bank though lol

Not being funny but then you will probably forget to charge the drone batteries as well. Just get into the routine of charging them together the night before you intend fly. Remember that the drone batteries are smart/intelligent and have a discharge feature that you can set for up to 10 days. If you do not use the batteries for 10 days after charging then they will discharge to around 65% so you will have to charge again before going out. It is all a matter or routine but will not hurt of course to carry a bank and usb cable in your kit just in case. Remember to charge the USB Power Bank though lol
If you only have one Flight battery, it doesn't make sense for some to charge the controller every time. You actually damage lithium battery a little bit if you keep topping them off starting from a high percentage. And I could be wrong, but I don't think the controller has an automated discharge system.

Personally I would avoid attaching anything like a charger to the remote.
Why exactly?
The remote battery will get you through around 6 to 9 packs (maybe more) if I remember correctly. Will you ever have more than that out with you whilst flying for one period non stop?

Based on this thread: Mavic Remote Battery Life? the remote controller battery should last about 6 flights. That's about 2 hours of flight time. I will occasionally want to go 3 hours or more of flight time. I can do that with about 6 batteries. You can swap out batteries on the Mavic and keep flying. You can't swap batteries in the controller, correct? Which means you either use a battery bank or you stop flying to charge it.

If you only have one Flight battery, it doesn't make sense for some to charge the controller every time. You actually damage lithium battery a little bit if you keep topping them off starting from a high percentage. And I could be wrong, but I don't think the controller has an automated discharge system.

I never said the controller did, just the drone batteries.
I am not arguing with you, nothing wrong with having a power pack with you, I am simply saying that it is all just routine. I mean if you forget to charge the controller, what is stopping you from forgetting to charge the power pack...
Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from memory effect (NiMH do) in fact it is better to top up Li-Ion batteries as often as you can rather than let them discharge fully, well most think that is best practice but in reality it will not really make much difference in the amount of charge cycles you have over its lifespan. The point is you will not damage it by keeping it topped up all the time.

Why exactly?

Based on this thread: Mavic Remote Battery Life? the remote controller battery should last about 6 flights. That's about 2 hours of flight time. I will occasionally want to go 3 hours or more of flight time. I can do that with about 6 batteries. You can swap out batteries on the Mavic and keep flying. You can't swap batteries in the controller, correct? Which means you either use a battery bank or you stop flying to charge it.

Yup! Agree and nothing wrong with doing either in that situation (I myself plan on having around 10 batteries as soon as supply permits). I am just trying to be objective about getting into a routine as the OP wanted a solution in case he forgot to charge the remote battery....

EDIT: I did not see the first part of your message and it is not in the quote above for some reason.

Would not attach to the controller because I am a little **** about my things and hate cables or things taped, strapped on etc... :)
But secondly a power pack gets hot (some can get really hot depending on the drain) when discharging. The controller has a built in fan to keep it cool anyway so I would not want to add any additional heat to the equation, heat is one thing that does deplete Li-Ion life. This is probably a little over kill but looking at the science and facts I would rather just keep it in my pocket or bad and use a long cable.

Last edited:
Yup! Agree and nothing wrong with doing either in that situation (I myself plan on having around 10 batteries as soon as supply permits). I am just trying to be objective about getting into a routine as the OP wanted a solution in case he forgot to charge the remote battery....

I am the OP and never asked about a solution in case I forgot to charge the remote battery. Thanks for your responses tho.

I never said the controller did, just the drone batteries.
I am not arguing with you, nothing wrong with having a power pack with you, I am simply saying that it is all just routine. I mean if you forget to charge the controller, what is stopping you from forgetting to charge the power pack...
Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from memory effect (NiMH do) in fact it is better to top up Li-Ion batteries as often as you can rather than let them discharge fully, well most think that is best practice but in reality it will not really make much difference in the amount of charge cycles you have over its lifespan. The point is you will not damage it by keeping it topped up all the time.
Ok no problem. Although lithiums don't have memory per se, the sweet spot is between 20 and 80 percent. Spend too much time out of those ranges, and you incur damage. You keep topping off your controller and you're spending too much time in that upper threshold. Damage is much more severe when you completely drain a battery which is why my Electric Car only lets me use 80 percent of it's true capacity.

Can someone please answer: is the RC battery lithium ion or lithium polymer? I assume lithium ion.

It will be Li-Po.
DJI have historically used Lithium Polymer cells in their rechargeable remotes - usually 2 cell packs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOM112