DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

charging remote controller

bob1393

Reactions
Received my new Mavic Air yesterday. Charged drone battery with no issues. Remote controller won't charge. I noticed the adaptor plug can be plugged into the main charging cable both ways - right side up or upside down, does it make a difference. Should any lights on controller be on during charging - mine aren't.

Bob

The cable goes into the controller with the DJI logo on the adapter plug facing towards you (if you are looking at the controller). The adapter can plug into the USB cable either way, USB-C is non directional. There should be 4 little white lights on the top right of the controller, they will blink in a similar fashion to the battery lights as it is charging.

Reactions: SixStringer1000
The cable goes into the controller with the DJI logo on the adapter plug facing towards you (if you are looking at the controller). The adapter can plug into the USB cable either way, USB-C is non directional. There should be 4 little white lights on the top right of the controller, they will blink in a similar fashion to the battery lights as it is charging.

I don't get any blinking lights on the controller when charging, but do get the blinking lights on the drone battery when charging. It seems to me the controller battery is not chargong for some reason. Bad USB cable maybe?

Could be, at least with the controller charging using a Micro USB you should be able to give any cable a try. I am not sure about you, but I have a half a dozen or so Micro USB cables laying around at any one time! There should definitely be lights blinking though, even if it were a completely dead battery, I would imagine that first light start to blink.

There are two lights on the controller, not blinking, so battery is half charged. Came from factory that way. I need to take your suggestion and try a different USB cable but I don't have one that will take the adaptor or has the correct plug on it already. perhaps I can purchase one somewhere if you have any suggestions

There are two lights on the controller, not blinking, so battery is half charged. Came from factory that way. I need to take your suggestion and try a different USB cable but I don't have one that will take the adaptor or has the correct plug on it already. perhaps I can purchase one somewhere if you have any suggestions

I found another USB cable that has the proper fitting for the controller. I tried it and now the lights are blinking. I have both lights 1 and 2 blinking - is that normal?

Any hobby store or place that sells phones or electronics has cables . My spark uses the same setup for a cable as the air I think . I bought the magnetic cable setup that has been talked about on here a dozen times

I use a magnetic cable set up. Can leave the MICRO USB magnetic fitting in the remote when flying.
AliExpress link ...
TOPK AM21 Magnetic Cable Type-C Cable & Micro USB Cable Nylon Braided Data Sync Mobile Phone Charging Cable

Attachments

• FITTING.png
    FITTING.png
    506.9 KB · Views: 37
I found another USB cable that has the proper fitting for the controller. I tried it and now the lights are blinking. I have both lights 1 and 2 blinking - is that normal?

Yes, eventually you should have all the lights on as the battery charges to full.

When I plug my controller in to charge 2 or 3 lights come on and it begins blinking. When fully charged all lights have gone off.

Reactions: SixStringer1000
When I plug my controller in to charge 2 or 3 lights come on and it begins blinking. When fully charged all lights have gone off.
If nearly flat lights flash 1 then2 then 3 then 4 and start again. As battery gets 25% charged first light stays on and the others start blinking, Battery 50% charged lights 1 & 2 stay on and 3 $ 4 blink. 75% charged 1, 2 & 3 stay on and 4 blinks. 100% charged all lights on.
Takes quite a while to charge the remote.
When fully charged all ll lights must show when TURNED ON.

The cable that's provided with my MA also, did not work. I ended up changing the cable and using an alternative charging bank for charging the controller. Problem solved. And yes, the lights should be lit on the the controller when plugged in.

The shortfall of rc charge port is nonambidexterous as NOT in usbC.
Thus invites to damage results.
Its tiny and users generally do not realize wrong insertion can ruin either side. Be caring and gentle. Technically the gender provided works but is not the exacting gender mate for the rc port (rc side looks rectanguloid while provided microUsb gender changer is trapeziodal)

The shortfall of rc charge port is nonambidexterous as NOT in usbC.
Thus invites to damage results.
Its tiny and users generally do not realize wrong insertion can ruin either side. Be caring and gentle. Technically the gender provided works but is not the exacting gender mate for the rc port (rc side looks rectanguloid while provided microUsb gender changer is trapeziodal)
Very good info here. It's easy to damage the connector on the RC, and then you're out of luck, because that side connector is the only way to charge the RC battery, and repair is not a DIY job for most people.

I use the side connector ONLY to charge the RC, using a reversible microUSB cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GRF2L4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 no more worry about using the wrong cable or putting it in the wrong way.

For the data connection, I use the full size USB port at the bottom of the RC to connect to my iPhone. If you want a cable shorter than the one you usually use, consider this one: Amazon.com: iPhone Cable TecMad Short [Apple MFi Certified] iPhone Cable Nylon Braided 90 Degree Fast Charger Cord Data Sync Cable for iPhone Xs XS Mex XR X/iPhone8/7/6 Plus/5s/iPad/Mavic and More (Gray 0.65ft): Cell Phones & Accessories.

the cellphone right angled 2inch cable loosens up over time from compression engaged.
does anybody attribute malfunction to that shortie?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98