DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging using a power bank

historyman

Reactions
I have had a bit of a search, but didn’t find the answer, so here goes.
I have a Mini 2 with the 3-battery hub which obviously works perfectly when plugging in at home. I know that a power bank will happily charge an iPhone and iPad, but will a power bank allow the hub to be plugged into it and charge 2 or 3 batteries in the hub? If it does, then I have 2 more questions - any recommendations for which power bank to go for and roughly how long does it take to charge the batteries.
Thanks in advance for your help and advice

If you want to use your 3 battery hub with a power bank you would have to use something like THIS
Well, if you’re to have one, have a big one! Given the cost of that power bank, it’s cheaper to buy another couple of batteries

Last edited:
PowerBank This is the one I am using for everything, lasts ages. Charges with the same speed as the 18w power adapter, I am almost certain it charges my iPad faster than its factory 15w plug. Have a look at the RavPower range, they've got everything from small power banks to big 240v.

Reactions: historyman
PowerBank This is the one I am using for everything, lasts ages. Charges with the same speed as the 18w power adapter, I am almost certain it charges my iPad faster than its factory 15w plug. Have a look at the RavPower range, they've got everything from small power banks to big 240v.
I saw that when I was looking at power banks, but wasn’t sure if it would do the job. Thanks for saying it will. Presumably the 3-battery hub just plugs straight in? How long does it take to charge the mini2 batteries?

Reactions: Howard70
I saw that when I was looking at power banks, but wasn’t sure if it would do the job. Thanks for saying it will. Presumably the 3-battery hub just plugs straight in? How long does it take to charge the mini2 batteries?
Yep plug the hub straight in with the USB cable, it takes about an hour and a bit to charge 1 empty battery, so 3-4 hour for all 3 batteries.

I was going off my M2P, it uses a mains power lead not USB.
Didn't know the Mini 2 hub was USB. :rolleyes:

I use an Anker PowerCore III Elite 25600. If the three Mini 2 batteries are down to about 20% capacity I can get at least two charges of the three batteries and still have some remaining capacity in the power bank. I think it charges as quickly as the wall charger supplied by DJI.

If you shop for power banks to charge your Mini 2 batteries, pay close attention to the USB 3 ouput voltage and current possible from the power bank. That’s what influences the speed of charge. At first I was tempted by some banks with similar, or even greater capacity that were half the price of the PowerCore III. Then I realized their output was really low and charging would take forever.

Let us know what you end up with.

Howard

I use an Anker PowerCore III Elite 25600. If the three Mini 2 batteries are down to about 20% capacity I can get at least two charges of the three batteries and still have some remaining capacity in the power bank. I think it charges as quickly as the wall charger supplied by DJI.

If you shop for power banks to charge your Mini 2 batteries, pay close attention to the USB 3 ouput voltage and current possible from the power bank. That’s what influences the speed of charge. At first I was tempted by some banks with similar, or even greater capacity that were half the price of the PowerCore III. Then I realized their output was really low and charging would take forever.

Let us know what you end up with.

Howard
Will do, thank you

If you want something small and inexpensive I would suggest looking at the EasyAcc 20000mah available on Amazon. It has 2 usb A, 2 usb c rated for 15w and 2 usb c IN so you can charge it twice as fast. In the US it goes for about $40 so about a quarter the price of the Anker( the anker is a good product, don't get me wrong) while only loosing 500mah. You could buy 2 additional powerbanks and corresponding chargers with the difference.

I was going off my M2P, it uses a mains power lead not USB.
Didn't know the Mini 2 hub was USB. :rolleyes:
I see what you mean. I trialled a different brand of Drone.. It not only had expensive batteries with short fight times (8 minutes), it had a mains only charger.. I foolishly started looking at invertors for the car (12v into inverter, 240v out to charger which drops the voltage down again to charge a battery) ..ridiculous.. after realising i was chasing after the wind, returned it.

I am now spoiled by a 20- 23 min battery life with the Mini 2 and have three batteries with the combo (power rich!) Chalk and cheese. and.. I can charge in the house or car with no extra equipment.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU