DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging with a portable charger

You can't charge the Mavic from a portable charger. Only the AC or car charger.

Reactions: Advexure
All depends what you're referring to as a "Portable Charger". Mavic Batteries cannot be charged by USB. I believe most people would refer to smaller USB Power Packs (such as a Mophie) when you mention Portable Chargers. There are, however, larger Power Packs which can output 12V to be able to plug your Mavic Charger into and charge on the go. Goal Zero has some of the best larger power packs out there with 12V output.

We've seen many guys use the Goal Zero Yeti 150 out in the field: http://amzn.to/2foYuHW
91CVezKMqbL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: BD0G
More specifics Ryan!

Charge what? Controller? Mavic Pro? Both?

What kind of portable charger? Battery Bank portable charger?
All depends what you're referring to as a "Portable Charger". Mavic Batteries cannot be charged by USB. I believe most people would refer to smaller USB Power Packs (such as a Mophie) when you mention Portable Chargers. There are, however, larger Power Packs which can output 12V to be able to plug your Mavic Charger into and charge on the go. Goal Zero has some of the best larger power packs out there with 12V output.

We've seen many guys use the Goal Zero Yeti 150 out in the field: http://amzn.to/2foYuHW
View attachment 569

Very appealing option as it has the abiltiy to recharge from portable solar panels! Take this camping and just set it out in the sun with solar panels and get to recharge ones Mavic Batteries.

Now that's some "off-grid" action right there!

Thanks for the posting on this as I was completely unaware that these existed.

Just saw this today too. I'm going to have to give it a try in the future
As someone who uses full sine wave inverters a lot I can tell you it requires a lot of DC power to supply 110VAC. The rated AC output is only 85 watts (so no advanced hub) and I would hazard a guess you would be lucky to get one Mavic battery fully charged before the DC pack was depleted. You would be better off plugging the Mavic travel charger into a 12VDC power pack.

As someone who uses full sine wave inverters a lot I can tell you it requires a lot of DC power to supply 110VAC. The rated AC output is only 85 watts (so no advanced hub) and I would hazard a guess you would be lucky to get one Mavic battery fully charged before the DC pack was depleted. You would be better off plugging the Mavic travel charger into a 12VDC power pack.
I'll give it a try and let you all know

its possible right? I would just need a usb to use cord?

Anyone try a solar panel that can output 12V-15V?

Amazon -- Elegeek 26W Portable solar panel Charger with USB and DC output 2 ports -- 26W, 5V/12-15V) 2 amp. 1.3 lbs. ~$70. There's other similar options available...

Seems if one could adapt the Mavic's cabling to the solar panel's 12V output port, it could be easy to charge the Mavic off the grid, especially in the high summer in the mountain backcountry...

It might take a few hours to charge the Mavic batteries, but that's better than carrying pounds and pounds of batteries into the back country... One could also recharge 5V USB devices -- watch videos of your flights (or movies) at the campfire on a tablet, or phone.

From my experience the car charger will not work if the input voltage is below ~13.5V, i.e. it will not work when your car is not running, even from a 12V socket connected directly to the battery and not switched via ignition. I found that the hard way when I left a battery on the charger while I was out for lunch, came back and it was still sitting at <25%. When the input voltage is above 14V (i.e. engine/alternator running) it works perfectly fine.

Reactions: Hauptmann

View attachment 569

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I am in need of some sort of way to charge batteries when I go camping in a month.. just curious, how many charges can we get off this Yeti?

each battery is about 4AH @ ~12v. So you're looking at almost 50 WH for a fully depleted battery. So 150 WH Yeti is about 3 full batteries.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I am in need of some sort of way to charge batteries when I go camping in a month.. just curious, how many charges can we get off this Yeti?

We have not had any in-house experience with this Yeti, just know of users that have used it.

A solution we have is the DroneMax M10 which offers portable charging for Mavic Batteries. We also have the DroneMax A40 which offers additional charging capacities.

We have not had any in-house experience with this Yeti, just know of users that have used it.

A solution we have is the DroneMax M10 which offers portable charging for Mavic Batteries. We also have the DroneMax A40 which offers additional charging capacities.

Wow the a40 is pretty expensive! Thx but I bit the bullet and purchased a yeti400..

Edit: Funny how on the dronemax link you provided, they have the price $100 cheaper on their comparison chart.. smh

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
Wow the a40 is pretty expensive! Thx but I bit the bullet and purchased a yeti400..

Edit: Funny how on the dronemax link you provided, they have the price $100 cheaper on their comparison chart.. smh

It is a pricey yet high quality piece of equipment. Hope the Yeti works out for you. Enjoy your trip.

And yes, Energen is aware of that error in the chart ;) Safe flying!

As a backup, I suggest bringing along power banks. I buy a bunch of them when I travel...Charge them all up and I am ready to go. You can get a brand new for less than $10 but the one I like the best is Anker portable charger. You can get it online for like $30. Here is the one I bought ANKER Power Bank A1272H11 -colamco

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121