DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap FPV goggle hack (primer) for Mini 2/Mavic2? [Need education from ground zero]

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
There was a similar thread a bit ago, and I inquired about it, but the information that was provided was still above my head, knowing skipping the fundamentals which I had no background in. I want to be able to practice flying "screen only" but with the bright sunlight and small screen and need for magnification I'm thinking that a cheap FPV setup is what I need.

I'm not looking to go with the expensive DJI goggles as my main intent (at this moment) is to be able to practice flying fromthe screen only when I can't be directly behind the drones and need to know where they are in space and which obstacles I can fly by and identifying from the screen how close I can get to objects. While my general flying skills could use some polishing, I think spacial awareness from the screen is my biggest weakness in flying right now.

So pretend I know NOTHING about starting to build and FPV hack for my M2/MM2 (you don't have to pretend) and if you have time, please educate me on EVERYTHING to get me started on the best/cheapest FPV hack I can do. What equipment and materials do I need? How do I set it up and use it? I've never even seen FPV goggles in person, so again I know nothing and am my knowledge in this area is truly at ground zero.
TIA

No goggles will work with them, someone had a movie mask thing you could try with just your phone in it awhile back.

No goggles will work with them, someone had a movie mask thing you could try with just your phone in it awhile back.
I'm not so sure that is the case. As I was digging around after posting I came across the video below. I started clicking through the parts list to see what I might have that could suffice. I'm not sure if it will work but I have an older Chromecast dongle and probably have a powerbank (though I don't think "high speed"). The goggles on the shopping list are now $140 and I was thinking cheaper if it's possible.

Reactions: Rchawks
And then I came across this (see below)! I already have Litchi on both drones, so my question would be- which headset or similar headset is this guy using? He said $10 AUS. I found this headset on Amazon for $13. If it doesn't work I can return it. I already have the adapters. Should be interesting.

But I'd still like to understand what the deal is from the first video I posted above. As I said, I need an education in such things.

I'm not so sure that is the case. As I was digging around after posting I came across the video below. I started clicking through the parts list to see what I might have that could suffice. I'm not sure if it will work but I have an older Chromecast dongle and probably have a powerbank (though I don't think "high speed"). The goggles on the shopping list are now $140 and I was thinking cheaper if it's possible.

Hey prove me wrong please lol, I haven't looked into it in a few months and went with another drone that support goggles. I own a mini and a air 2.

Hey prove me wrong please lol, I haven't looked into it in a few months and went with another drone that support goggles. I own a mini and a air 2.
I hope to get back to you by the end of the week. Cheap-a** googles due to arrive on Thursday. Litchi works with my Mavic 2 but have not had the opportunity to try it out with the Mini 2. Should be interesting.

But I do also have an older Chromecast that might be used as a dongle for the other method. I'm still fuzzy how to get that all put together.

Reactions: VenomXts
I'm a new person to all of this but have definitely been doing research myself for this very concern. I'm in the process of buying a Mini 2 and I love a good deal plus those goggles just make it all that much more worth it. Here is a link to a video that does go over the "Hack" for DJI goggles so I would assume it would possibly work just the same with other FPV goggles as long as there is an input directly in the goggles.

DJI Goggles hack for Mini 2 with parts list and instructions.
Yes. I have all of those parts except the goggles. The cheapest I could find anything like these is $139. Luckily I have a Mavic 2 Pro as well that can utilize Litchi. I just discovered that Litchi has an FPV mode that can be accesses with VR goggles which can be as cheap as $13. I got a pair of those but found another headset for $20 that I like better. Edit: The goggles Ken Heron was using in this demo were DJI goggles costing $398 as my resources indicate.

The weather here in the last few days as been kind of crappy so no flying. But I've been messing with VR and Litchi Vue and finally am at a point where I can have VR in the headset and full screen on a separate iPhone which I can mount in the controller so I can be FPV and yet pop back into LOS and still have the info on the secondary phone screen. I only got it to work once and I think is dependent on having the main phone be a virtual hot spot. Not sure about that and haven't tested it outdoors yet.

My concern with the hack that requires a dongle is the latency. One of the benefits of FPV is that the perspective when flying close to stuff or inbetween is that it seems to have better spacial referencing. I have always had difficulty with that off the phone screen unmagnified. If you're flying close to stuff then drone response from what you see has to be very quick if vector or alt adjustments are needed.

Litchi tells me that DJI is going to release the SDK for the Mini 2 in Q2 of this year, so hopefully by summer the Mini 2 will be supported by Litchi. It surprises me that the Mavic Air 2 isn't yet supported, having been sold almost as long as the Mini 1. Litchi is compatible with: Mavic Mini 1, Mavic 2 (Zoom/Pro), Mavic (Air/Pro), Phantom 4 (Standard/Advanced/Pro/ProV2), Phantom 3 (Standard/4K/Advanced/Professional), Inspire 1 (X3/Z3/Pro/RAW), Inspire 2 and Spark.

Edit: I can see the draw to FPV flight, but if I did so I would probably buy the DJI goggles, the controller (or a compatible model) and something like the EMax Babyhawk which is smaller and hell of a lot more durable than the DJI FPV drone. The introduction of the DJI FPV piqued my interest in FPV, but seems to me that it is unlikely to survive even the most minor crash. I would need something way more indestructible.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVDroneEnthusiast82
Yes. I have all of those parts except the goggles. The cheapest I could find anything like these is $139. Luckily I have a Mavic 2 Pro as well that can utilize Litchi. I just discovered that Litchi has an FPV mode that can be accesses with VR goggles which can be as cheap as $13. I got a pair of those but found another headset for $20 that I like better. Edit: The goggles Ken Heron was using in this demo were DJI goggles costing $398 as my resources indicate.

The weather here in the last few days as been kind of crappy so no flying. But I've been messing with VR and Litchi Vue and finally am at a point where I can have VR in the headset and full screen on a separate iPhone which I can mount in the controller so I can be FPV and yet pop back into LOS and still have the info on the secondary phone screen. I only got it to work once and I think is dependent on having the main phone be a virtual hot spot. Not sure about that and haven't tested it outdoors yet.

My concern with the hack that requires a dongle is the latency. One of the benefits of FPV is that the perspective when flying close to stuff or inbetween is that it seems to have better spacial referencing. I have always had difficulty with that off the phone screen unmagnified. If you're flying close to stuff then drone response from what you see has to be very quick if vector or alt adjustments are needed.

Litchi tells me that DJI is going to release the SDK for the Mini 2 in Q2 of this year, so hopefully by summer the Mini 2 will be supported by Litchi. It surprises me that the Mavic Air 2 isn't yet supported, having been sold almost as long as the Mini 1. Litchi is compatible with: Mavic Mini 1, Mavic 2 (Zoom/Pro), Mavic (Air/Pro), Phantom 4 (Standard/Advanced/Pro/ProV2), Phantom 3 (Standard/4K/Advanced/Professional), Inspire 1 (X3/Z3/Pro/RAW), Inspire 2 and Spark.

Edit: I can see the draw to FPV flight, but if I did so I would probably buy the DJI goggles, the controller (or a compatible model) and something like the EMax Babyhawk which is smaller and hell of a lot more durable than the DJI FPV drone. The introduction of the DJI FPV piqued my interest in FPV, but seems to me that it is unlikely to survive even the most minor crash. I would need something way more indestructible.

That's awesome! I could then grab a higher frequency FPV goggles in the future for that. Right now I'm just using it for actual aerial footage and photos but I like the idea of getting into some more speed.

That's awesome! I could then grab a higher frequency FPV goggles in the future for that. Right now I'm just using it for actual aerial footage and photos but I like the idea of getting into some more speed.
Since in an above reply you said you were "new to this" I would assume that you're just getting started with rules and regulations. FAA rules say that you must keep your UAV within direct line of sight. Essentially this means that if you have FPV goggles you need to have a spotter. But here's yet another shade of gray that the FAA doesn't address.

You see these FPV guys on YouTube doing all these fancy maneuvers and have to practice continously to get that good. I can't believe that they bring a spotter out every time they practice. And on a practical level, most FPV maneuvers are at very low levels, just skimming the tops of buildings, structures and tree tops so not really in an airspace that any manned aircraft might occupy. I think FPV (with a Mavic) is most interesting flying close to the ground and close to and in between objects. At some point I could see flying a tiny FPV drone with something like an Insta 360 Go2 mounted on top.

I'm liking what I'm seeing about the SMO 4k Camera. It's only 30g and the 360 go2 is 27g so not that much weight difference. It's my understanding that they designed the SMO for whoops.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54