DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap tablet? Cell phone screen too small!

looopson

Reactions
My cell phone screen (cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7) is too small in DJI Pro -- I need a larger screen! Maybe I'm just losing my sight and I'm hard of seeing but I would really like to find a cheap tablet running the Android system that I could use for the sole purpose of operating my Mavic Pro. I figure that I've spent enough on this so I'm trying to keep cost down but I also want something that is reliable and won't crash. Has anyone purchased a cheap tablet computer for the sole purpose of operating their drone and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

My cell phone screen (cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7) is too small in DJI Pro -- I need a larger screen! Maybe I'm just losing my sight and I'm hard of seeing but I would really like to find a cheap tablet running the Android system that I could use for the sole purpose of operating my Mavic Pro. I figure that I've spent enough on this so I'm trying to keep cost down but I also want something that is reliable and won't crash. Has anyone purchased a cheap tablet computer for the sole purpose of operating their drone and what would you recommend?

Thanks!
Usually cheap is just.....well cheap!

If you want a tablet and you don't want worries.....get an iPad

Reactions: RYCO
You can find a list of recommended and commonly used devices here. If you want to save some cash, pick up a used/refurbished device.

Reactions: looopson
Acer Iconia One B1 780 Model A6004 it is $99 Canadian so about $10 US and it has a built in GPS I have been using for about 2 months now app has never crashed. Use usb on bottom and bought a swivel usb and a 90 for about $5
0e10d11d925846015060455f11b5902a.jpg

8df877f4a2d4308a9e92b3546348c76b.jpg

As a dedicated screen i am thinking about an ipad mini basically for 2 reasons:
- dji software performs way better on ios
- because a 1st gen ipad mini is very cheap

I have a nexus 7 2nd gen. brilliant tab fits in the mavic controller, runs litchi or dji go 4 without a hitch. Paid 50 quid on eBay, better than a really expensive iPad.

I have a nexus 7 2nd gen. brilliant tab fits in the mavic controller, runs litchi or dji go 4 without a hitch. Paid 50 quid on eBay, better than a really expensive iPad.

You don't need to subscribe to any sort of mobile service with that nexus to use the DJI Go 4 App, do you?

No subscription needed, I have no trouble with it nice size screen good contrast and cheap what more do you need

Keep your eyes on Craigs List and Ebay for NEW or ALMOST new iPad Mini 4's.

I just got a BRAND NEW iPad Mini 4 (16GB - WIFI only) on Ebay for $319. It was still in the shrink-wrapped original Apple box and works beautifully. The display blows away my Galaxy S7, and is much better than the iPad Mini 2 or 3. It has a better, more "glare resistant" screen, a better, brighter display, and runs MUCH faster than the iPad Mini 2 or 3. The (American) seller I bought from had a 99.4% approval rating. He paid shipping (insured it) and I had it in 3 days.

Watch some YouTube comparison videos about the iPad Mini 4 VS. earlier versions.... big difference.

I was afraid I might miss the GPS function but I don't at all. It just takes a minute before I leave my house to get online with it and cache all the maps that I might need, and then I'll have them forever for that flight location.

The only functionality that I give up is the "Follow Me" function. I've never used Follow Me before, but if I need to do that, I'll just use my phone. Logically, if you're going to have your mavic follow you, you probably will be doing something that will require your hand(s) free anyway, and you'll just have your controller in your pocket - harder to do with a tablet attached. And I cannot reset the home point to my new current location with the iPad if I'm moving around, but if I need to be moving and flying at the same time, I'll use my phone.

* At the rate technology changes, and the rate that they update the DJI GO app, it is ridiculous, IMO, to spend good money on outdated or ALMOST outdated hardware, like the iPad Mini 2, when the newest version is only about $100 more. I've heard they may be coming out with a new iPad Mini this year, making the iPad Mini 2 three generations old already. I wonder how many more new versions of DJI GO will be released before the iPad Mini 2 isn't even powerful enough to run it? It is a VERY resource intensive APP. Plus, with the iPad Mini 4, hopefully it will still be new enough to fly the Mavic 2.0 when it comes out someday.

I made this "older-technology-saves-money" mistake just a few years ago, when I got a great deal on a new full-size iPad 4th generation, which is now already too outdated to even INSTALL the DJI GO and many other new applications.

You've got a state-of-the-art drone ; arguably one of the best drones money can buy for your needs.
Why diminish the experience by saving $100-$150 on a cheaper, older, slower, sub-par display?

Just my 2 cents.
The Quadfather.jpg

+1 for Nexus 7 2nd gen -- inexpensive and reliable in my usage.

Has anyone purchased a cheap tablet computer for the sole purpose of operating their drone and what would you recommend?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you're not an Apple guy try the Nvidia Shield tablet. I've been using it since the P2, P3A, and now with the Mavic. I use "Shut App" to close hidden apps before I start, then start a screen recorder and boot up the Mavic remote and wait for the popup asking what app I want to use and choose "this time only" or something like that and I haven't had any crashes using the LItchi app. The Go4 app was crashing a couple of times until I got rid of some non-used apps I should have never put on there anyway. Seems to be stable now plus it has an HDMI out if you want to also use goggles or another monitor so the neighbors can watch.

I don't know if you can call it "cheap" at $200 but it's cheap compared to the fruity tablets.

Reactions: Gixxer750
@looopson one thing to consider in your situation is bigger, is not necessarily better.

I have the S7 edge and iPad Air 2. Before I tested, I naively assumed the 9.7" iPad screen would be way better. Turns out I find the smaller S7e phone much sharper than the iPad. Even though it is larger, the iPad (2048x1536) has a lower screen resolution than the S7edge (2560x1440) .

So whatever tablet you end up with, consider screen resolution as well size when doing your research.

Reactions: Gaz Mc and looopson
1st-gen ipad screen is only 1024 x 768.
Well less than 1/2 the res of OPs S7 phone. I would not recommend that path, coming from a phone that is 2560x 1440. He should at least get something with similar res.

Reactions: ryo and Hollajandro
I run a MavMount with a Nextbook Ares 8" tablet. It has an HDMI out port so I can FPV with my Headplay goggles. The tablet is about $40 bucks at Walmart and has worked flawlessly with the Go app

I run a MavMount with a Nextbook Ares 8" tablet. It has an HDMI out port so I can FPV with my Headplay goggles. The tablet is about $40 bucks at Walmart and has worked flawlessly with the Go app

Wow, hard to beat. Does that have GPS on it? I didn't think the 8" screen fits with the controller?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots