DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheapest android tablet compatible with Mavic Pro 2?

Hindsight

Reactions
Does anyone have a recommendation for an android tablet that works with the newest DJI go app and doesn't break the bank?
Preferably not bigger than 8".
Input is greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have a recommendation for an android tablet that works with the newest DJI go app and doesn't break the bank?
The Huawei M3 or M5 are both excellent flying tablets at a reasonable price.

The Huawei M3 or M5 are both excellent flying tablets at a reasonable price.
Thanks for the suggestion, but if possible I would like to stay under $200 since I've already gone down the rabbit hole more than I had planned (still need ND Filters).

Thanks for the suggestion, but if possible I would like to stay under $200 since I've already gone down the rabbit hole more than I had planned (still need ND Filters).
Ask around co-workers, neighbors, relatives, etc and see if any are upgrading and have one they don't need/want. You could also try your local buy/sell ads.
If you do get a used one, do a "factory reset" and update the OS before installing DJIGO4 and/or Litchi.

I was eyeing a Lenovo Tab 4 tablet for $106.00 on Amazon- anybody out there know if this would be a decent tab for flying?

Reactions: Kingram
I don't know the USA prices but the Lenovo Tab 4 8" is about the best "cheap" tablet you can buy. Lots of people use them over on the MA forums and apparently (I still can't see how how) they fit in the remote claws. Note there are 2 versions of the Tab 4 - you want the "plus" version.

Also note if you go the iPad route the WiFi-only versions do not have GPS, even on their $1000+ iPad pros which is unbelievably ridiculous. Display GPS isn't necessary to fly but you need it if you want to update the home point.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Thanks for the reply!
Now, being as I am about as ignorant about electronics as I am flying my drone, why the plus version over the regular Lenovo tablet? Does it have GPS?
Thanks again for your input-

Now, being as I am about as ignorant about electronics as I am flying my drone, why the plus version over the regular Lenovo tablet? Does it have GPS?
Apple confuse people because they only fit a GPS receiver in cellular ipads.
Almost all Android tablets come with the GPS receiver as standard, even wifi only models.

But your Mavic has perfectly good GPS receiver built in which it uses for all flight functions except:
1. Follow-me flight
2. Resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller.

Follow-me flight really isn't used all that much and active tracking is much better than follow-me anyway
Resetting home to the current location of the Mavic is only used by people flying from a moving car or boat.
But since they aren't going to use RTH to land on the car or boat, home point precision isn't important and resetting the homepoint to the current location of the drone is usually just as good.

Having GPS capability in your display device can come in handy depending on what type of user you are. There might be a benefit in having the return home location set to operator holding the RC.

GPS I believe would be needed for the map as well.
The only GPS receiver you need for the map and everything else (except for Follow-me flight and Resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller) is already inside your drone.
There might be a benefit in having the return home location set to operator holding the RC.
It's of very limited use because if you are flying from a moving boat or car because you don't want the drone to land on the moving boat or car.
Resetting the homepoint to the current location of the drone works just as well to prevent the drone trying to go all the way back to the launchpoint when the battery level gets low.

It's of very limited use because if you are flying from a moving boat or car because you don't want the drone to land on the moving boat or car.
Resetting the homepoint to the current location of the drone works just as well to prevent the drone trying to go all the way back to the launchpoint when the battery level gets low.

I have to disagree. If I am on the move while the drone is in the air, when I come to a stationary position I’m going to want the home point to be reset where I am at, not where the drone is at. If the aircraft is 1000 feet away from me it makes no sense to me to have the home point be 1000 feet away. Again, mileage will vary depending on the user.

On a different note, unless I missed something, I am a bit disappointed that the Dynamic HP as DJI promoted it back in 2017 is not what the feature ended up being. As I recall, DHP was supposed to update automatically based on the GPS enabled controller position.

I have to disagree. If I am on the move while the drone is in the air, when I come to a stationary position I’m going to want the home point to be reset where I am at, not where the drone is at. If the aircraft is 1000 feet away from me it makes no sense to me to have the home point be 1000 feet away.
If you were flying 1000 ft away from your moving car or boat, that would make sense.
But it would be an even rarer use case than flying from a moving car or boat.
Almost all people flying from a moving car or boat are photographing the car or boat or close to it.

If you were flying 1000 ft away from your moving car or boat, that would make sense.
But it would be an even rarer use case than flying from a moving car or boat.
Almost all people flying from a moving car or boat are photographing the car or boat or close to it.

What if someone is hiking? Or even open mountain skiing? More specifically, what if the subject is not themselves but rather they are exploring the area?

What if someone is hiking? Or even open mountain skiing? More specifically, what if the subject is not themselves but rather they are exploring the area?
That sounds like another unlikely use case, but if you want to walk considerable distances while flying your drone away in the distance, that would be what you want.

That sounds like another unlikely use case, but if you want to walk considerable distances while flying your drone away in the distance, that would be what you want.

That sounds a bit smug don’t you think? You are discrediting the value of having a GPS enabled device based on what you believe to be practical uses of a drone. Seems a bit short sighted given what drones can do.

That sounds a bit smug don’t you think? You are discrediting the value of having a GPS enabled device based on what you believe to be practical uses of a drone. Seems a bit short sighted given what drones can do.
It's not being smug.
I agreed with you that if you want to use your drone in those ways, it's exactly what you need.
But if you didn't anticipate those unusual ways of flying, having GPS in the tablet really isn't much use.
Unlike most flyers, I do fly offshore from moving boats, and I've found that it doesn't matter for my flying whether I reset to either option.
The reset home point is out of date a few seconds after it's been recorded.

Reactions: Niblett
I don't know the USA prices but the Lenovo Tab 4 8" is about the best "cheap" tablet you can buy. Lots of people use them over on the MA forums and apparently (I still can't see how how) they fit in the remote claws. Note there are 2 versions of the Tab 4 - you want the "plus" version.

Also note if you go the iPad route the WiFi-only versions do not have GPS, even on their $1000+ iPad pros which is unbelievably ridiculous. Display GPS isn't necessary to fly but you need it if you want to update the home point.
Does celluar have to be activated ?

I know you stated Android. I went that route, and gave up.
Apple ipad mini 4 with cellular capabilities (I don't use maps, so 'live' maps somewhat useless for me). I bought mine used with front and back covers for $235, which is greater than $200. If you save up, it's worth it.
For me several Android devices were just one frustration, after another. I had never used Apple for drones, or other; previously. I went Apple, and never looked back.
I would give up the hobby, if I had to use Android with DJI GO 4 again

Reactions: bkushner
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore