DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheapest IOS Tablet for Mini

PeedyD

Reactions
Hi all, Newb here.
I have searched all over the place and haven't found what Im looking for. Reminds me of a U2 song.
Anyway which ios tablet can I get away with. According to what I have seen the Ipad mini 4 is a bit sluggish.
I tested a flight with a Iphone6 and was happy with the controls however the battery drained really quick. DGI fly must be thirsty
I would prefer a tablet that way I may take advantage of the batteries from the combo deal and of course the extra screen.
Could you use an earlier tablet? I hope to purchase a refurbished or 2nd hand one.
Please note I live in Australia.
Cheers in advance

I use my S9 phone currently so I can't say for sure what works best in tablets. Here is a website that shows a comprehensive listing of what works and doesn't work with dji apps. Hope this helps you.

Hi all, Newb here.
I have searched all over the place and haven't found what Im looking for. Reminds me of a U2 song.
Anyway which ios tablet can I get away with. According to what I have seen the Ipad mini 4 is a bit sluggish.
I tested a flight with a Iphone6 and was happy with the controls however the battery drained really quick. DGI fly must be thirsty
I would prefer a tablet that way I may take advantage of the batteries from the combo deal and of course the extra screen.
Could you use an earlier tablet? I hope to purchase a refurbished or 2nd hand one.
Cheers in advance
There is a youtube clip of a guy with a ipad mini 4 and it doesnt handle it real well. I run a mini 5 or iphone x and there is no probs...
if you are happy with the 6 and hav good eyes you can charge the phone from the rc. might save you some $$$

I use my S9 phone currently so I can't say for sure what works best in tablets. Here is a website that shows a comprehensive listing of what works and doesn't work with dji apps. Hope this helps you.
Yeah thanks for that. I have looked at this list and the DJI one as well. Im keen to find out which IOS device will live up to my limited expectations. That is why spend the $$$ on a Ipad mini5 when you can use a 4 or 3 or 2. Cheers

Reactions: Molaguy
There is a youtube clip of a guy with a ipad mini 4 and it doesnt handle it real well. I run a mini 5 or iphone x and there is no probs...
if you are happy with the 6 and hav good eyes you can charge the phone from the rc. might save you some $$$
Thanks Juggler. will do. Eyes are getting weaker so a Ipad or tab may be required. Thanks again

I use an ipad mini 4 with my MM and DJI Fly, so far I've had no problems, other than a cpu at max message on DJI FLy start up, but this does not comeback in flight.
There has never been any lag, break-up or pixelation with ver. 1.1.3.
I don't turn on caching on the Ipad Mini as this will add processing load to the cpu.

I use an ipad mini 4 with my MM and DJI Fly, so far I've had no problems, other than a cpu at max message on DJI FLy start up, but this does not comeback in flight.
There has never been any lag, break-up or pixelation with ver. 1.1.3.
I don't turn on caching on the Ipad Mini as this will add processing load to the cpu.
Thanks for that Iannes. Turning of caching is very helpful. Cheers

I've been using an iPad Mini 4 with my Mavic Pro and my Mini. I've had no issues with either though primarily use Litchi to run my Mavic. Although I'm an Android user, I bought the iPad Mini as I couldn't get decent stability and performance out of any Android tablet. BTW - I use the iPad for my drone flying only and have no other apps loaded other than DJI's and Litchi.

I've been using an iPad Mini 4 with my Mavic Pro and my Mini. I've had no issues with either though primarily use Litchi to run my Mavic. Although I'm an Android user, I bought the iPad Mini as I couldn't get decent stability and performance out of any Android tablet. BTW - I use the iPad for my drone flying only and have no other apps loaded other than DJI's and Litchi.
Yep.I plan to do the same. For flight only. I am also android usually. I think I am more likely to go a refurbished mini 4 as a minimum requirement unless there is evidence to go for something earlier. What do you mean exactly by stability and performance. Thank you

I found I had problems with connectivity and video performance with Android tablets. I don't think the Android version of Go and Litchi is as stable as IOS.

16gb wont cut it then. OK
Thanks mate

All models of ipad mini 4 have a standard 2gb of ram for processing, they have different capacities for storage, 16gb, 32gb, 64gb and 128gb
16gb should be enough storage if you only using it for flying, DJI Fly is only 255mb in size.
Downloading video from the AC (SD Card or internal AC memory) to the Ipad Mini is what takes up the room, but if you just transfer it from the SD card to a pc there is no problem

In comparison Ipad mini 5's have 3gb of ram

All models of ipad mini 4 have a standard 2gb of ram for processing, they have different capacities for storage, 16gb, 32gb, 64gb and 128gb
16gb should be enough storage if you only using it for flying, DJI Fly is only 255mb in size.
Downloading video from the AC (SD Card or internal AC memory) to the Ipad Mini is what takes up the room, but if you just transfer it from the SD card to a pc there is no problem

In comparison Ipad mini 5's have 3gb of ram
Thanks Iannes for the info. I ended up purchasing an ex demo Mini 4 128gb. $460. I thought I would spend the extra for the convenience. The mini 5 is $600 new. Im looking forward to operating the Mavick Mini with the mini 4.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I use a Galaxy Tab S4 which works great with the mini. I love having the larger screen.
I believe the Galaxy Tab here in Aus is different to the one in the US (Assuming Central PA is in the US). I did consider it. The refurbed mini was almost twice the price to a new Samsung.
Id like to know if any Aussies are using the galaxy tab A SM-t290 I think it was. Cheers

Hi all, Newb here.
Cheers in advance
Battery on the iPhone 6 is really cheap to get replaced i paid 40$ for a new battery in a 6s and decided to use it just for flying. Its runs everything fine and its weird but after the battery replaced it really seemed to bring the phone back to life speed wise it seemed like it had started to be sluggish and not the same as when a 6s was released but after the bew battery its like it was when new.. alot cheaper to do that

Reactions: PeedyD and Capt KO
iPad mini 4. Cheap reliable. Have a 16gb that is used for flight only and a 32gb for daily And flight. Use both with all my Phantoms and MMini. Both purchased used on eBay.
NO problems at all.

Reactions: PeedyD and ff22
iPad mini 4. Cheap reliable. Have a 16gb that is used for flight only and a 32gb for daily And flight. Use both with all my Phantoms and MMini. Both purchased used on eBay.
NO problems at all.
I guess I really don't know much about ipads, mini or otherwise! Does the ipad mini fit in the jaws of the Mavic Mini controller without any adapter. Is the DJI cable adequate (length or otherwise) to connect the ipad to the controller? I guess I will ask one more question - what type of cable or connector on the ipad side of the equation - a more standard usb c or a proprietary apple plug?

Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929