DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheapest mini tablet thay works well

Pippin65

Reactions
Hi all. In prepurchase research and budgeting mode currently, and was wondering what little tablet gives you the most bang, best function?
I have a sprint edge 7 and have read they may be "glitchey" when coupled with the mavic. A tablet would also be easier to see methinks.
Fwiw my home computer is an imac.

And, lastly, would you buy the mav again? Thx.

Depends on your definition of "cheap". I spent $250 on a used iPad Mini 4 and think of it as cheap. You could buy a cheap $100 tablet and up losing a $999 Mavic because they don't work well together. If I'm gonna invest in a $1000 drone, I think it's worth an extra $100 or so to buy a tablet that can keep a stable connection. I'm not saying your only choice is Apple, but it ios does seem to be overall more stable then Android. This is coming from someone who is not an Apple fan.

I get what you're saying but if that $100 tablet performs well according to numerous people on these forums, then I'd save $150 based on your numbers, "most bang, best function . And as the commitment is more like $1400, saving money is important when one considers this is a toy.
A very cool one....but a toy.

After researching here, I went with a refurbished Nexus 7 (2013 version). I use it in addition to my iphone 7 as there are times I just want the bigger screen. Works well and perfect fit with the controller. Spent $125. It must be the 2013 vs the 2012 to have enough horsepower.

Reactions: Finseeker
I Bought a cheap refurbished acer 7 inch tablet for 63 bucks and GPS works perfect on it but it is android and android is not as smooth or fast as iOS and the maps suck. No problem flying at all though-Nice size screen but not bright enough for bright light use. Ended up using my 7 plus more often because of the brighter screen makes it easier to see for me even though I cant do follow me mode or change home point GPS because of my stupid Intel modem. Am saving up for a mini 4 but would like to see screen outdoors first?

Here are a few mini tablets that have been working well for me:
None of these tablets are newly released tablets, so you could save some cash by picking up one that is used/refurbished.

You can find a list other recommended and commonly used tablets here.

Last edited:
I have a 16GB iPad Mini 4. I only use it for flying drones, so there is plenty of space left over.

Hi all. In prepurchase research and budgeting mode currently, and was wondering what little tablet gives you the most bang, best function?
I have a sprint edge 7 and have read they may be "glitchey" when coupled with the mavic. A tablet would also be easier to see methinks.
Fwiw my home computer is an imac.

And, lastly, would you buy the mav again? Thx.
Nvidia K1 , awesome!!!

I was using my iPhone 6 Plus which was fine but my good lady wife decided to treat me to an iPad mini 2 32gb.....works perfectly.....

I was using my iPhone 6 Plus which was fine but my good lady wife decided to treat me to an iPad mini 2 32gb.....works perfectly.....

Maybe you can help me. If I'm not mistaken that is not a cellular model. I read comments saying it needs to be cellular for the gps.
Do you have to hotspot to wifi or does it work without it?

I'm confused.lol

Reactions: kingbrad22
I read comments saying it needs to be cellular for the gps.
Cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver. That's only needed if you want to use Follow Me or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't need to use those features, then you don't need a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver.

Do you have to hotspot to wifi or does it work without it?
You don't need Wi-Fi to fly if that's what you're asking. Connecting to a hotspot would allow you to download the map images in real-time though (if you need to see the map). You could also cache the maps in DJI GO in a location where you have an Internet connection before you head out to fly.

Great information, thanks!

Two more and I have what I need
I'm guessing if I hot spot it will allow more accurate return home location setting?

Generally speaking I hear many more positives about the apple products, with a hefty price tag. Am I best to bite the bullet and spend the bucks over the android tablets. I'm asking for your personal opinion and understand it's not an endorsement. :)

Again, great info and thanks for the time!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54