DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Check in from Australia and what is DJI up to?

OzHobo

Reactions
hi everyone thought I should say hello from Australia. I am an old bugger but really don't understand the constraints that DJI are placing on pilots.
I have a ga pilot licence and have several humdred hours of experience on Cessna and the like.
Last night i received an email regarding restrictions DJI are going to impose.
I can't believe it.
Are we not able to make decisions about our flying.
I don't intend to break any laws but I surely don't like DJI making my mind up for me. Unbelievable!
I don't think I would have invested over $Au 2000 on a Mavic if I had been confronted with this demand.
Sorry but I am able at 70 years of age make my own decisions.
Sorry about the whinge but it aint fair, bear.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Last night i received an email regarding restrictions DJI are going to impose
Unless you're planning on vacationing in China soon, you will not be affected by those changes. Here's some more information from an email they sent to developers:

"Dear developer,

In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user’s DJI account, if that application is being used in China. This will ensure operators use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for their aircraft, as determined by their geographical location and user profile.

A summary of the activation system is:
  • On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
  • Users in China will be required to activate their application by logging into their DJI account at least once every three months within the application
  • Activation will be persistent in the application until the user logs out
  • A data connection will be required to log into a DJI account
  • Outside of China, the SDK will automatically activate the application without requiring the user to log in
  • If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.
This week, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will be released that will include APIs to support this system. Applications should update to v4.1 as soon as they can to support the activation system natively. For applications that are not upgraded to v4.1 or activated by the user, full aircraft functionality can still be achieved by first connecting any other upgraded/activated application on each power cycle of the aircraft. For example, DJI Go could be initially connected to the aircraft, then the user could switch to the SDK based application.

In addition, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will include support for M200, Phantom 4 Advanced, and Individual Unlock Fly Zones. Please see the release notes for more details on the updates to the Mobile SDK.

As always, the DJI Dev Team is committed to improving your developer experience. Please report any bugs or questions you have to [email protected]. We recommend that you frequently check the DJI SDK downloads page to ensure that you are always working with the latest version of the DJI SDK.

Regards,
The DJI Dev Team"

Reactions: OzHobo
hi everyone thought I should say hello from Australia. I am an old bugger but really don't understand the constraints that DJI are placing on pilots.
I have a ga pilot licence and have several humdred hours of experience on Cessna and the like.
Last night i received an email regarding restrictions DJI are going to impose.
I can't believe it.
Are we not able to make decisions about our flying.
I don't intend to break any laws but I surely don't like DJI making my mind up for me. Unbelievable!
I don't think I would have invested over $Au 2000 on a Mavic if I had been confronted with this demand.
Sorry but I am able at 70 years of age make my own decisions.
Sorry about the whinge but it aint fair, bear.
I totaly agree

Thanks a million for your reply. I can rest a little easier.
I love my Mavic - not going to China shortly - have just returned from Europe and it was unbelievable.
The Mavic is such an exciting drone. I ordered last October - got it in February with no regrets. Still have a lot to learn but that's great.

A long time ago I had a pilot instructor who had a saying that "
" flying is the best fun with your pants on! "
At 70 years of age flying my Mavic and the unbelievable video I can create exceeds that by far.
Again thanks for your reply!

Reactions: Waterman 57
Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+