DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Check out these choppy controls

Takes a bit of learning and muscle-memory.
Have you tried cinematic mode (not sure what drone you are flying.
Also, longer sticks can help.

Reactions: spicciani2
Slow & easy is the name of the game, you will get the hang of it.
Nice scenery by the way.
I'm always in a hurry... I almost want to spend the $500 for a SC just to save the 30sec it takes to connect my iphone to controller... But I will try to remember that unless I go slower it will all be wasted time.

Reactions: Bobvt
I'm still a newbie, but I've found that switching to the "pinch" grip with my thumb and index finger on the controls helped me to slow down and be more smooth in my movements. Still working on remembering which way to move the sticks though ;)
That sounds a bit awkward... but I'm game to try things that sound strange. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: DelgadoPhoto
I've had to leave a lot of otherwise nice footage on the editing floor just to get rid of my jerky movements! Practice Practice Practice.

Ok, just one piece of critique that you didn't even ask for: your exposure is to high. If you're not familiar with the exposure triangle rules, take some time to study, because if your footage is not exposed properly, it won't matter how good your stick movements are.
Now for the stick movement parts. There are 2 things that you can do and both usually require a little pre-shot planning/thinking. This is what I do: If I need to make an unexpected turn during a shoot, I will turn as fast as possible and mentally note that I will be editing that turn out of the video. The other thing is to try an "plan" my turns based on what i'm filming. This will allow me to make slow, cinematic turns. This is accomplished by using both sticks to smooth out the turn. For example, if I want to make a left turn slowly, I will easy to the left on the left stick, and ease to the right on the right stick. This will allow the drone to "slide" to the right while the direction changes to the left, making the turn smoother and more cinematic. But the key is to make these moves slowly at first and increasing the rate on both sticks at the same time. It takes practice, but you'll get it.

Ok, just one piece of critique that you didn't even ask for: your exposure is to high. If you're not familiar with the exposure triangle rules, take some time to study, because if your footage is not exposed properly, it won't matter how good your stick movements are.
Now for the stick movement parts. There are 2 things that you can do and both usually require a little pre-shot planning/thinking. This is what I do: If I need to make an unexpected turn during a shoot, I will turn as fast as possible and mentally note that I will be editing that turn out of the video. The other thing is to try an "plan" my turns based on what i'm filming. This will allow me to make slow, cinematic turns. This is accomplished by using both sticks to smooth out the turn. For example, if I want to make a left turn slowly, I will easy to the left on the left stick, and ease to the right on the right stick. This will allow the drone to "slide" to the right while the direction changes to the left, making the turn smoother and more cinematic. But the key is to make these moves slowly at first and increasing the rate on both sticks at the same time. It takes practice, but you'll get it.
I actually have been trying the slide out recently but yes it will take lots of practice...
I'm using a set of polarpro filters, I think the one that is on currently is the nd8 not sure if that has anything to do with the exposure... I'm currently flying set to auto... (I havent taken a photography course in quite some time... Right before we switched to digital, and I've forgotten it all...)
I appreciate you pointing out all faults that come to mind... the choppy movement is merely what bothers me most about my flight..)

ND filters have their purpose, but if you're shooting in auto, then the filters serve no purpose and you might as well remove it until you need it. You'll only need a filter if you are trying to achieve a shutter speed that is twice your frame rate for cinematic motion blur. If you are just starting out, I would suggest that you don't mess with the ND filters for awhile. There are too many other factors, and variables that you need to focus on during pre-flight and videography to worry about cinematic motion blur. That can come later.
In this case, the ND filter did not make your video overexposed though. If your shooting in auto, you might have the ISO locked and the value is to high. Set ISO to 100 to start and only increase as the exposure decreases such as low light or night flying.

I actually have been trying the slide out recently but yes it will take lots of practice...
I'm using a set of polarpro filters, I think the one that is on currently is the nd8 not sure if that has anything to do with the exposure... I'm currently flying set to auto... (I havent taken a photography course in quite some time... Right before we switched to digital, and I've forgotten it all...)
I appreciate you pointing out all faults that come to mind... the choppy movement is merely what bothers me most about my flight..)
I just watched your other video on YT, the "Dronie at Convention Center" video. The exposure on that video is excellent.

I'm always in a hurry... I almost want to spend the $500 for a SC just to save the 30sec it takes to connect my iphone to controller... But I will try to remember that unless I go slower it will all be wasted time.
I too feel like I'm in a hurry,hurry to do what,gotta just sslloowww down,breath,check everything then enjoy the birds eye view.
Happy flying,Bob

I'm still a newbie, but I've found that switching to the "pinch" grip with my thumb and index finger on the controls helped me to slow down and be more smooth in my movements. Still working on remembering which way to move the sticks though ;)
I simply can’t do the pinch grip method at all, I have a go now and then but it’s a no no all the way.
I think my thumbs are used to controllers due to the time spent on a PlayStation back in the day.

Reactions: kjcbid54
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27