DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Checking in from Chicago, IL

boldblue737

Reactions
Just received my Fly More Bundle and am currently updating firmware after charging all the batteries. Will shortly have a maiden flight and will post some video. Very excited I'm a real life airline pilot but I've been following the drone market for years just never pulled the trigger. The Mavic seems perfect and I hope to bring it with my on my travels.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well we will be looking forward to some of you pictures and videos boldblue and welcome to our forum :)

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.

Enjoy Thumbswayup

well I created my first video.

I had numerous short flights today totaling 48 minutes. my first was at a large soccer field complex with nothing around but i failed to press record and so don't have video. the mavic performed 100% perfectly all day with rock steady hovering in winds up to 15 mph. i flew up to 4000 ft away and as high as 400 ft. takeoff and landing is easy and the drone moves and stops on a dime.

the camera performed beyond all exceptions. only issue I had was pretty significant crooked horizon that i saw in live video during my first flights. later in the day (after the youtube video) I read up on this and discovered the auto-gimbal calibration (only calibration I hadn't done) and followed that up with a slight manual adjustment to gimbal roll in software. now the horizon is dead level in all my future flights. i don't know if they changed something in the new firmware but the mavic out of the box for me was SHARP AS A TACK, exceeding even Phantom 4 videos I've seen when displayed on my 5k iMac screen. it WILL focus on something close at takeoff and cause blurry images once airborne but a quick tap and everything is tack sharp. the following video is uploaded at 4k so if you have a monitor that can handle it please be sure to select the 4k option in the Youtube gearbox and remember that Youtube compresses this a lot and the raw 4k footage on my computer is so clear you could reach in and touch it...

great video!! happy to hear the first flight went well. I just got my FlyMore bundle as well.. ! will be taking the baby out for the first flight today... As someone who just kicked things off yourself would it be possible to provide the youtube links you found useful for the calibrations etc? Im worried I might miss out on some kind of calibration .. Thanks!!

i used the videos from the DJI website.

that said here are the calibrations and the order in which i would do it...

1. firmware updates via the DJI GO app.
2. IMU calibration in the DJI GO app -> settings/drone/advanced/imu/imu calibration (make sure to do on a flat surface like a floor or table top, more level the better, the calibration has on screen instructions you can't screw up.)
3. controller calibration in the DJI Go app -> settings/controller/calibration (to make sure there are no inaccuracies in the sticks for your controller)
4. gimbal calibration in the DJI GO app -> settings/camera/gimbal-auto calibration (do on a level surface again, indoors)
5. gimbal calibration (manual) in the DJI GO app -> settings/camera/gimbal-roll calibration (adjust from what the auto system did until the image looks level)
6. compass calibration in the DJI GO app -> settings/drone/advanced/compass/compass calibration (self explanatory again but this one should be done outdoors, away from large metal objects like cars while hand-holding the drone about 4-5 feet above the ground.)

all this sounds like a lot but the only one I do often is the compass calibration and even that isn't totally necessary each flight. anytime you move the drone a long way before flying it again it might also be useful to redo the IMU calibration. gimbal calibration should only be needed when the horizon doesn't look level again.

now i'm a new drone pilot so perhaps i am missing a nuance somewhere but the above was what I did.

That's a pretty detailed response! thanks!! I'm on the 10th story of a building so what I'm hearing is that it's OK to do all these calibrations in my apartment itself (Except the compass calibration which should probably be done outdoors where im flying (?)

That's a pretty detailed response! thanks!! I'm on the 10th story of a building so what I'm hearing is that it's OK to do all these calibrations in my apartment itself (Except the compass calibration which should probably be done outdoors where im flying (?)

I believe so. It's only the compass that is affected by buildings to the extent you don't want to do it inside of them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters