DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Checking in with my first drone....kinda

a5tra3a

Reactions
Hello Everyone,

I just got my first well sorta (I had a Parrot AR 2.0 Drone back years ago but only had it for a day before returning it) done for Christmas and though I haven't flown outside yet I have done a few practice flights inside. I got a DJI Mini 2 with the Fly more combo and have finally gotten the rest of the accessories that I wanted to have before flying. I hope to be flying outside soon, once I get my checklists and logbooks sorted, and yes I know they are not required for the sub 250g drones I plan to work up to something like the Air 2 and then onto the Inspire 2 or something similar to those when the time comes and want to have solid practices from the beginning.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum

If I might make one suggestion it would be to register your Mini 2 anyway. It's a generic registration and they don't even ask for the drone's serial number. It takes less than 10 minutes and $5. So if you throw on some leg extentions/landing gear (highly recommended ) and maybe a strobe or two you don't have to worry about being over the legal threshold even though those accessories are minimal in weight. Should you decide to add the Mavic Air 2 or other drone to your collection you would use the same registration number unless by that time you have a FAA Part 107 certificate, whereby both drones would need to be registered separately.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum!

I would imagine that flying Banff’s not allowed, but can you fly just outside the Stampede? That Mini 2 can probably do it quietly.

Safe flying in 2021 to you!

We can't fly in Banff or any Federal or Provincial Park as well as a number of parks in the city that I live in but I am very close to the edge of the city and also away from the airport which is nice. I am not sure about the Stampede Grounds though, I have seen people fly from Fort Calgary which is very close to it so it is possible.

Welcome to the forum

If I might make one suggestion it would be to register your Mini 2 anyway. It's a generic registration and they don't even ask for the drone's serial number. It takes less than 10 minutes and $5. So if you throw on some leg extentions/landing gear (highly recommended ) and maybe a strobe or two you don't have to worry about being over the legal threshold even though those accessories are minimal in weight. Should you decide to add the Mavic Air 2 or other drone to your collection you would use the same registration number unless by that time you have a FAA Part 107 certificate, whereby both drones would need to be registered separately.

Being in Canada I could register but as far as I am aware I would then also need an RPAS basic or Advanced license which I do not yet have. Though I am working on getting them, I am going to spend some time working on my checklists and also my documentation process. So far I have a binder with a basic spec sheet on the drone as well as a list of all equipment I have with serial numbers and a copy of all the receipts for everything that I have as well. I have also started testing out some apps for weather, NOTAMS and flight trackers for manned aircraft to see what I want/need in my toolkit.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest