DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chicken and egg update procedure

Would you enjoy having the ability to download the firmware with the target device powered off?

• Absolutely not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duckminster

Reactions
The Mavic RC and AC are the only devices I know of that require the target device to be powered on and connected while downloading the firmware.

So on a very slow internet connection such as mine, by the time I get to 75% download the drone battery is nearly exhausted and the heat from its belly is starting to brown the furniture. If the download manages to complete before the battery runs out, it can't complete the update because the battery is below 50%, which necessitates changing the battery, which disconnects the app...

So considering the brilliance of the fine engineers and people that brought us this magnificent gadget, who obviously have very good reasons for their design decisions, the necessity of this procedure leaves me befuddled.

Can anyone explain? Thank you

Last edited:
Yes. It’s annoying. The last time I had to update firmware was on my Spark. It came up about new firmware after my flight. I’ve turned off my Spark, but the message to download was still there. So I did managed to download the update with my Spark turned off. Only need to swap battery and turn my Spark on to actually download the new firmware. I’ll try the same with my Mavic next time.
When it says new firmware and asks if I want to download, I’ll just tap on no and turn my Mavic off. Then go back to the new firmware message and trigger the download then. After it’s downloaded, I’ll turn on my Mavic and reconnect and update.

Yes. It’s annoying. The last time I had to update firmware was on my Spark. It came up about new firmware after my flight. I’ve turned off my Spark, but the message to download was still there. So I did managed to download the update with my Spark turned off. Only need to swap battery and turn my Spark on to actually download the new firmware. I’ll try the same with my Mavic next time.
When it says new firmware and asks if I want to download, I’ll just tap on no and turn my Mavic off. Then go back to the new firmware message and trigger the download then. After it’s downloaded, I’ll turn on my Mavic and reconnect and update.

Are you doing this from the DJI GO app? I'm a noob, so my only experience upgrading so far is through DJI Assistant. I don't see a separate download option there, which would be wonderful.

Same problem with my phone leads me to the DJI Assistant, i.e. my phone doesn't have a strong enough battery to stay alive for the entire time it takes to download the firmware. Perhaps my mistake is believing here as well that the phone and RC need to stay powered the entire time...?

You don't need to put up with that hassle.

All the firmware is available for downloading to store on your PC locally using this tool: GitHub - cs2000/DankDroneDownloader: A Custom Firmware Download Tool for DJI Drones Written in C#
It will automatically update its database to include every available firmware for all applicable aircraft and accessories.
I have archived every firmware version for the Mavic, its controller and the Goggles, just in case I want to fiddle with them or mix modules.

Once you have firmware on your system, DUMLdore will easily grab whichever file you wish and send it off to the device for up/downgrading: GitHub - jezzab/DUMLdore: Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade/Backup Tool V2.12

For both of these, click on the green button at the URLs to download the Zip file, then just unpack it in a folder of your choosing.

And by the way, ALWAYS start a firmware-change session with a fully-charged device battery and for the Mavic, point a fan at its nose (with the gimbal dome off) to keep it from frying during a long session, especially for periods when its internal fan shuts off.

Are you doing this from the DJI GO app? I'm a noob, so my only experience upgrading so far is through DJI Assistant. I don't see a separate download option there, which would be wonderful.

Same problem with my phone leads me to the DJI Assistant, i.e. my phone doesn't have a strong enough battery to stay alive for the entire time it takes to download the firmware. Perhaps my mistake is believing here as well that the phone and RC need to stay powered the entire time...?
Yes. I was talking abt DJI Go 4 app. Cos you only know there’s a firmware update when the app tells you. By then you’d be out somewhere. So, it’s either go home to update, or fly first and update later. Then means going home to charge the batteries first. Then if the update only took 20% battery. Do you recharge to 100% before flying, or start the flight at 80% when you get to the park?
What if the app then says there’s a mismatch in firmware? When you get to the park?

All the firmware is available for downloading to store on your PC locally using this tool: GitHub - cs2000/DankDroneDownloader: A Custom Firmware Download Tool for DJI Drones Written in C#
It will automatically update its database to include every available firmware for all applicable aircraft and accessories.
I have archived every firmware version for the Mavic, its controller and the Goggles, just in case I want to fiddle with them or mix modules.

Once you have firmware on your system, DUMLdore will easily grab whichever file you wish and send it off to the device for up/downgrading: GitHub - jezzab/DUMLdore: Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade/Backup Tool V2.12

For both of these, click on the green button at the URLs to download the Zip file, then just unpack it in a folder of your choosing.

And by the way, ALWAYS start a firmware-change session with a fully-charged device battery and for the Mavic, point a fan at its nose (with the gimbal dome off) to keep it from frying during a long session, especially for periods when its internal fan shuts off.

For all those firmwares downloaded thru DankDroneDownloader, did u have any error message when opening the firmware via 7zip? Am asking so because 7zip giving me "there are no trailing zero-filled records" when opening the firmware file. This error msg only happen when opening 1.03.0700, 03.400, 03.1000. No error msg when opening firmwares 1.04.0000 onwards.

For all those firmwares downloaded thru DankDroneDownloader, did u have any error message when opening the firmware via 7zip? Am asking so because 7zip giving me "there are no trailing zero-filled records" when opening the firmware file. This error msg only happen when opening 1.03.0700, 03.400, 03.1000. No error msg when opening firmwares 1.04.0000 onwards.
I just did a quick "Open" on .400, .700 and .1000 Mavic files that you mentioned had problems for you, and they all opened just fine. I didn't bother extracting or modifying the .bin files but opening was normal so I assume anything else would have worked. Nor did I mess with Goggle or controller files.

I use 7-Zip version 15.06beta from 2015, by the way; your problem may relate to the utility you're using. Yes, it's an old version, but has never failed me.

I just did a quick "Open" on .400, .700 and .1000 Mavic files that you mentioned had problems for you, and they all opened just fine. I didn't bother extracting or modifying the .bin files but opening was normal so I assume anything else would have worked. Nor did I mess with Goggle or controller files.

I use 7-Zip version 15.06beta from 2015, by the way; your problem may relate to the utility you're using. Yes, it's an old version, but has never failed me.

Thanks for the info.

Will try to download the latest 7zip and try again.

My MPP having ''motor current error" after flashing a custom 04.0000 from 03.0700. Thought the 03.0700 that I download is corrupted as 7zip giving me error when opening the bin file.

Anyway, thanks again.

Brilliant, thank you!

Also you can skip any message saying to update until you are ready to update. It is also best to update via the PC and Assistant2 and then the firmware is downloaded and stored on your PC.
It is also faster if you connect only the Mavic to Assistant2 and update that first. Then unplug and connect the RC and update that which only takes a minute as firmware is already on PC.
If while downloading the firmware to your PC and you see your battery is down to 2 bars disconnect drone and recharge battery then reconnect to Assistant2, download will continue from where you left off till it has all downloaded then it will flash to Mavick and update.

dang.. I am spoilt with my megabit connection !
Me too; I live in the woods and am in awe of getting 100 Mbs most of the time. Thank goodness for all the lawyers and politicians who bring such wonderful things to life.

Also you can skip any message saying to update until you are ready to update. It is also best to update via the PC and Assistant2 and then the firmware is downloaded and stored on your PC.
It is also faster if you connect only the Mavic to Assistant2 and update that first. Then unplug and connect the RC and update that which only takes a minute as firmware is already on PC.
If while downloading the firmware to your PC and you see your battery is down to 2 bars disconnect drone and recharge battery then reconnect to Assistant2, download will continue from where you left off till it has all downloaded then it will flash to Mavick and update.

Thank you Dragonfly, reassuring to know it is not starting from square one each time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3