DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chinese authorities test drone-aircraft collision

LuvMyTJ

Reactions
Seems the Chinese have tested aircraft/drone collisions - Chinese authorities test drone-aircraft collision - ASN News

0.gif

Mobile windscreen repair will sort that out in a flash ....

Good news though..... windscreen never broke. So all these reports of dents in wings and other reports are probably exaggerated a bit. So, we just need to reference this video if you get busted flying near an airport. :p

I'd like to see some slow-mo engine ingestion vids.

Good news though..... windscreen never broke. So all these reports of dents in wings and other reports are probably exaggerated a bit. So, we just need to reference this video if you get busted flying near an airport. :p

It's definitely reassuring that the windshield only cracked rather than failing completely, but unfortunately not all aircraft windshields are nearly as strong as commercial airliner windshields. Most helicopter and GA windshields are most unlikely to survive the same impact. These windshields are also much stiffer than the flight control surfaces so it probably doesn't imply anything about the effect of impact on those.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
It's definitely reassuring that the windshield only cracked rather than failing completely, but unfortunately not all aircraft windshields are nearly as strong as commercial airliner windshields. Most helicopter and GA windshields are most unlikely to survive the same impact. These windshields are also much stiffer than the flight control surfaces so it probably doesn't imply anything about the effect of impact on those.

Also, Mavic is more dense in longitudinal direction than Phantom, it even has a metal heatsink, so its penetrating cabability is possibly more than just cracking the windshield.

Also, Mavic is more dense in longitudinal direction than Phantom, it even has a metal heatsink, so its penetrating cabability is possibly more than just cracking the windshield.

Agreed. The Phantom does have that magnesium core though. I'm not sure which I'd expect to do more damage.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Bear in mind this aircraft wasn't at pressurized altitude (for those trying for stupid altitude limit tests) or flying at 200+ mph, NOR does it account for the pilots reaction close to the ground when landing. This is serious stuff. Fellow drone pilots need to really understand this and stop being so macho and rebellious or they are going to ruin this for all of us. You may not like it but, technically, the FAA is charged with regulating everything from the ground up. It is the law. Some renegade cities are trying to take over that power and control everything from the ground up to 400 FT, so be nice and don't give them any more ammunition than they already think they have during this drone law sharing test period. We all also need to understand the inverted wedding cake ceiling that extends way beyond the 5 mile limit in Class B airspace. I live in Class B airspace and my house is in a 200 FT altitude limit while my neighbor 2 blocks over is in a 100 FT altitude limit. Please, continue to have fun, but fly wisely.

Last edited:
A cracked windscreen still requires an emergency diversion and costly repair (and aircraft out of service).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123