DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choices for an always available drone

barrybcar

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have a M2P and several "toy" drones. I want one to keep with me in my work truck. (I am in Boise ID and am in the hills regularly) Cost aside, what recommendations would you make. I'm thinking the M2P but if the Spark would be sufficient...…?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Cost aside, what recommendations would you make
Buy the drone you want to fly when you're out in your work truck. If that's a cheap toy drone, then take that. If it's a Spark, then take that.

Whatever you do, don't store your drone equipment in a hot vehicle.

IF the 'KISS' Theory is in Play, your least expensive/most effective drone would probably be the Mavic Air, or first Mavic Pro. Camera quality is acceptable for non-professional purposes.

Mavic Air beats all comers for portability, with it's miraculous small size, and semi-hi-tech camera quality. Pro is pretty close, but why go bigger if similar quality is available via Air?

In addition, there's something 'magical' (our opinion) about the Air. We may upgrade one or more times from the Air, but it will never leave the Stable. Too handy, too much fun, and too easy to pack along on any sortie... even if you don't pull it out of the Bag.

Can never tell when an opp will appear. The Air is just THERE, and is Flying in minutes - or less.~

Rgds, NAVMAV

If a Spark does what you need then use a spark.
If you are looking for quality, reliability then M2P

Leaning toward the M2P but am curious about the smaller dji drones. I literally went from toys to M2P. Never looking back!!! But I do not know about the evolution of the dji and the quality levels.

I am gravitating toward doing drone photography semi professionally. Hence the desire to carry one with me daily.

A good drone to through in a bag is the mavic air. Of course I love the mp2 pro but the air is a nice cheaper option that is still very good quality. I used to keep mine in my work bag all the time, although now I’m just as happy to carry my mp2 case around wherever I go

Reactions: Sully53
I have a M2P and several "toy" drones. I want one to keep with me in my work truck. (I am in Boise ID and am in the hills regularly) Cost aside, what recommendations would you make. I'm thinking the M2P but if the Spark would be sufficient...…?

I have both a Mavic Pro and Spark. Because the Mavic folds, its case is not much larger than the Spark. I also have a friend with a Mavic Air.

The unmentioned thing about the Spark is that it is significantly lighter (particularly with its foam formed clamshell) than either Mavic Air or Mavic Pro units. Lighter for me means tossing it in a backpack or adding it last minute to a suitcase is a little easier. Also since it is cheaper, I am a little less worried about losing it if I was doing risky flying or going somewhere where it might get taken from me.

If you haven’t bought anything yet, a Mavic Air for portability and size based on what you described.... If you have a bigger drone and want an alternative that is small but still capable beyond a toy, Spark is surprisingly effective.

Don't forget the all important RANGE. Less than occusync drone will place severe limitations on range. If you're in the hills with 1000 acres to explore it will not happen with less than occusync drone.

With different models comes different equipment such as chargers, controllers, batteries, and accessories. Also they all operate slightly different. I totally agree with the Occusync statement above but if you keep your quad close, the size of the Mavic Air makes it a nice compact unit to haul. Is there a reason you just don't take your M2P?

With different models comes different equipment such as chargers, controllers, batteries, and accessories. Also they all operate slightly different. I totally agree with the Occusync statement above but if you keep your quad close, the size of the Mavic Air makes it a nice compact unit to haul. Is there a reason you just don't take your M2P?
Just don't to pack one more thing back and forth to the truck everyday.

Depends on what you want to do with it. With you owning the M2P you might be disappointed with the quality of the other cameras. But if it's just to fly and take a look around, even a refurbished MP might do. I'll admit I considered the Air for my motorcycle rides after seeing how small that thing packs up. Also take into battery management and how they self discharge. Most of my friends charge prior to flight and most do it off 110vAC at home then go fly. I have an inverter in my van so I charge on the way to the site. Like Mike posted it's not a good idea to keep the batteries in a hot vehicle.

As others have mentioned it's a bad idea to store lipo batteries in a hot vehicle if paying $50 ~ $100 for new batteries every month or so is a concern to you. I've heard of incidents where one roasting inside a hot vehicle destroyed the batteries ability to hold a charge. Unless you have a way of insuring the batteries are going to be exposed to excessive heat for prolonged periods (keep a cooler in the car that can keep them cool but not froze) avoid storing them in a vehicle.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Nobody has yet mentioned that the Air and the Spark both sound like a noisy swarm of angry bees, and attracts way too much attention. By comparison, the Mavic 2 is almost silent, and is barely noticed. So, if you prefer to fly discreetly, and stealthily, and without being interrupted by annoyed bystanders, use the Mavic 2 Pro, and consider adding an Mavic 2 Zoom to be able to stay even farther away from your subjects. In 1080p, you have a full 4x zoom capability on the right scroll wheel. Mavic 2 Zoom can fill the frame from 400 feet with the same size view as a Mavic Air at 100 feet, and no one will even know it is there! Use a vacuum sealed hard case to help insulate the drone from the heat, and park in the shade, or use a car cover to keep the car cooler.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Nobody has yet mentioned that the Air and the Spark both sound like a noisy swarm of angry bees, and attracts way too much attention. By comparison, the Mavic 2 is almost silent, and is barely noticed. So, if you prefer to fly discreetly, and stealthily, and without being interrupted by annoyed bystanders, use the Mavic 2 Pro, and consider adding an Mavic 2 Zoom to be able to stay even farther away from your subjects. In 1080p, you have a full 4x zoom capability on the right scroll wheel. Mavic 2 Zoom can fill the frame from 400 feet with the same size view as a Mavic Air at 100 feet, and no one will even know it is there! Use a vacuum sealed hard case to help insulate the drone from the heat, and park in the shade, or use a car cover to keep the car cooler.
Thanks. I originally had planned on getting both the M2P and the zoom but the remarks about the zoom benched that idea.

Maybe the zoom is back in the running for my fleet ;)

Thanks. I originally had planned on getting both the M2P and the zoom but the remarks about the zoom benched that idea.

Maybe the zoom is back in the running for my fleet ;)
I have both, and they complement each other well. I use a single remote that I have modified to severely reduce the speaker volume to turn the heart attack beeping at 15% battery into the "mew" of a kitten, and can now comfortably fly down to 5-10% remaining, fighting the autoland at 10% with full left stick, until it is close enough to grab it! I just link the controller to whichever drone I am flying in GO 4 and pressing the link button on the aircraft. Takes 15 seconds. Zoom is best for skittish wildlife, including bird nests, surveillance, and staying away from people, while still getting the shot. The M2P is best for Spherical Panoramas, any low light situation, and the best video and still quality. Using a single remote and iPad makes carrying both drones much easier. Just get a small Freewell case for the second M2. 78302

Reactions: NAVMAV
Thanx for your input everyone. I went with the zoom to complement the Pro. Great ideas about the ice chest for the batteries.

If I had not totally put the zoom off the table earlier I probably wouldn't of even started this thread. You input was great.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke