DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choosing between the Mini, the Air 2S, and the 3 Pro (and Cine). Help

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
TL;DR. Which of the DJI drones would you buy if you were a semi pro who values an amazing camera (and good stills perhaps being even more important), and you know you wanted/needed the Mavic Cine eventually, but a Mavic Mini 3 might honestly be enough for now (For another year at least).

The Mavic 3 Cine:
The Regular is probably the drone I need for today, but I kind of WANT the Cine ($7200) for the Pro-Res. So the standard is 98% of what I need, but I'm torn because I'm all about camera quality, and even if I never made a cent I might regret the purchase.

The Mavic 3 Pro:
($4200au for the combo)
, looks to still be "professional", but it's not so much better than the Air 2S in the real world, is it? (Or does the big sensor make more difference than I give it credit for?). Having said that, stills photos are incredibly important to me, and I think the 2S would disappoint (or maybe not, but my old regular Air 2 did).

The Air 2S:
($2100)
is great, but is it getting a little dated now when you consider how close the Air, Air 2, then Air 2s came out. So I might wait for a 3 and/or 3S? (Any Rumours circulating about when that could happen?)

The Mavic Mini 3 Pro ($1300),
Seems to be impressing a lot of people. With it's camera upgrades, it seems to be pretty close (on paper) to the Air 2S, with some extra things (like the tilt up) that open up some cool possibilities. I don't need to worry about weight in Australia, but it seems like a bonus to be that small (provided it can penetrate the wind and has a few good KM of range).

I dismissed it at first, but... maybe it's the one that makes the most sense? It's the cheapest but not the worst (Or if it is, it's still bloody good). It may not be "professional" but maybe it's "professional enough" to get back into flying drones and making some cool content until a Mavic 3 Cine makes sense for me and I have $7200 I don't know what else to do with?

So... given the above, (and keeping in mind that stills matter to me more than 4K60 because I would like to make prints and have enough resolution to crop), which way would you be leaning?

- The $1300 cheap but awesome 'starter drone" that (HOPEFULLY?) can get me some low end work and/or fill my creative needs (without me wishing I had just forked out for the big drone).

- The midrange drone that maybe ticks enough boxes, for $800 extra? (But is it $800 better, and is it worth just stepping up to the drone I really need if money was no object?)

- Or the High end drone that ticks all the boxes (but one) for me? And is the last box worth $3000 more? (I don't really care about the smart controller and the internal storage is kind of a downer by the sounds of it for offloading footage quickly).

----

Just briefly about me so you know where I'm coming from.
1. I'm a professional photographer first, but video is getting to be 50% of what I do and love. In fact, I made more money from video last year (but not with drones).

2. I had a Mavic Air 2 briefly and I loved flying it and some of the shots (stills and video) I got when I had it on my 2 big trips. My drone actually failed and was out of service for a while, but I think I'd have flown it a lot more if it had been available. For fun, but also to make prints, and be creative with. A goal would have been to monetise it, but not 100% sure how.

3. In addition to doing it as a hobby and using it as a "value add" on some jobs, I'd like to really step into using it as a source of income. I'm in Australia, and it's my understanding that most of my intended uses don't require a permit, but I'm considering getting one anyway so I can charge more and genuinely market myself as a "drone pilot".

4. Professionally, besides work I do for myself, I'm not exactly sure who my clients will be at first, but I'm sure it will range from real estate, to advertising, and maybe some creative pursuits. Definitely content for myself, and possibly others though.

5. To be honest, I could use some help thinking of potential people to market to, which might make the choice more obvious. I'd prefer photo/video uses because that's my background, but I'm open to other uses (and actually, please factor that all in when helping me decide on drones, as whatever I buy needs to generate SOME income).

TL;DR. Which of the DJI drones would you buy if you were a semi pro who values an amazing camera (and good stills perhaps being even more important), and you know you wanted/needed the Mavic Cine eventually, but a Mavic Mini 3 might honestly be enough for now (For another year at least).

The Mavic 3 Cine:
The Regular is probably the drone I need for today, but I kind of WANT the Cine ($7200) for the Pro-Res. So the standard is 98% of what I need, but I'm torn because I'm all about camera quality, and even if I never made a cent I might regret the purchase.

The Mavic 3 Pro:
($4200au for the combo)
, looks to still be "professional", but it's not so much better than the Air 2S in the real world, is it? (Or does the big sensor make more difference than I give it credit for?). Having said that, stills photos are incredibly important to me, and I think the 2S would disappoint (or maybe not, but my old regular Air 2 did).

The Air 2S:
($2100)
is great, but is it getting a little dated now when you consider how close the Air, Air 2, then Air 2s came out. So I might wait for a 3 and/or 3S? (Any Rumours circulating about when that could happen?)

The Mavic Mini 3 Pro ($1300),
Seems to be impressing a lot of people. With it's camera upgrades, it seems to be pretty close (on paper) to the Air 2S, with some extra things (like the tilt up) that open up some cool possibilities. I don't need to worry about weight in Australia, but it seems like a bonus to be that small (provided it can penetrate the wind and has a few good KM of range).

I dismissed it at first, but... maybe it's the one that makes the most sense? It's the cheapest but not the worst (Or if it is, it's still bloody good). It may not be "professional" but maybe it's "professional enough" to get back into flying drones and making some cool content until a Mavic 3 Cine makes sense for me and I have $7200 I don't know what else to do with?

So... given the above, (and keeping in mind that stills matter to me more than 4K60 because I would like to make prints and have enough resolution to crop), which way would you be leaning?

- The $1300 cheap but awesome 'starter drone" that (HOPEFULLY?) can get me some low end work and/or fill my creative needs (without me wishing I had just forked out for the big drone).

- The midrange drone that maybe ticks enough boxes, for $800 extra? (But is it $800 better, and is it worth just stepping up to the drone I really need if money was no object?)

- Or the High end drone that ticks all the boxes (but one) for me? And is the last box worth $3000 more? (I don't really care about the smart controller and the internal storage is kind of a downer by the sounds of it for offloading footage quickly).

----

Just briefly about me so you know where I'm coming from.
1. I'm a professional photographer first, but video is getting to be 50% of what I do and love. In fact, I made more money from video last year (but not with drones).

2. I had a Mavic Air 2 briefly and I loved flying it and some of the shots (stills and video) I got when I had it on my 2 big trips. My drone actually failed and was out of service for a while, but I think I'd have flown it a lot more if it had been available. For fun, but also to make prints, and be creative with. A goal would have been to monetise it, but not 100% sure how.

3. In addition to doing it as a hobby and using it as a "value add" on some jobs, I'd like to really step into using it as a source of income. I'm in Australia, and it's my understanding that most of my intended uses don't require a permit, but I'm considering getting one anyway so I can charge more and genuinely market myself as a "drone pilot".

4. Professionally, besides work I do for myself, I'm not exactly sure who my clients will be at first, but I'm sure it will range from real estate, to advertising, and maybe some creative pursuits. Definitely content for myself, and possibly others though.

5. To be honest, I could use some help thinking of potential people to market to, which might make the choice more obvious. I'd prefer photo/video uses because that's my background, but I'm open to other uses (and actually, please factor that all in when helping me decide on drones, as whatever I buy needs to generate SOME income).
I'd rule out the Mavic 3 Cine right off the bat. From what you've described as your interests and intent, the on-board storage and added video features have little utility for you.

@Ben_McPhee the real issue here ,is not the actual drone itself ,they all fly using the same technology ,and its their power to weight ratio ,that determines how they handle weather conditions ,with varying degrees of success ,all you are going to use the drone for, is to enable you to get images from a different viewpoint ,that would not be possible otherwise
sadly unless you are able to spend a considerable sum of money ,on a drone, that has a camera with all the bells and whistles ,that can be instantly changed for another camera ,with a different set of attributes ,different focal length lenses and so on then despite what DJI or other manufactures of the sort of drones you mentioned ,call them they are not truly professional camera drones
i went out today and took some pics with my Mini 3 pro and have posted a few of them,for you to see what you are getting with the Mini 3 pro
straight from the SD card in 12 megapixel mode and full auto settings
feel free to do some editing if you wish ,and your comments on what you made of them ,from a picture quality point of viewcwm daren 20-06-2022 (2).JPGcwm daren 20-06-2022 (3).JPGcwm daren 20-06-2022 (8).JPGcwm daren 20-06-2022 (5).JPGcwm daren 20-06-2022 (13).JPG

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
@Ben_McPhee the real issue here ,is not the actual drone itself ,they all fly using the same technology ,and its their power to weight ratio ,that determines how they handle weather conditions ,with varying degrees of success ,all you are going to use the drone for, is to enable you to get images from a different viewpoint ,that would not be possible otherwise
sadly unless you are able to spend a considerable sum of money ,on a drone, that has a camera with all the bells and whistles ,that can be instantly changed for another camera ,with a different set of attributes ,different focal length lenses and so on then despite what DJI or other manufactures of the sort of drones you mentioned ,call them they are not truly professional camera drones
i went out today and took some pics with my Mini 3 pro and have posted a few of them,for you to see what you are getting with the Mini 3 pro
straight from the SD card in 12 megapixel mode and full auto settings
feel free to do some editing if you wish ,and your comments on what you made of them ,from a picture quality point of viewView attachment 150399View attachment 150400View attachment 150401View attachment 150402View attachment 150403

Thanks so much for these. :) I'll download and have a good look in a minute. Do you know if the message board compresses these at all or are these exactly how they should be? (I assume these are jpgs? Were they shot that way? Or converted to post here?). Did you shoot these in the HDR mode or anything?

Definitely agree that none of them are Truely "Pro", but the Inspire series is getting there I'd say. It's the best you can do (that I'm aware of) short of flying you're own cameras on a drone platform.

I just think that the Mavic 3 Pro (at 2x the cost of the 2S), is pretty impressive for it's M4/3 sensor and what it can do. Difficult to say if I'd ever call it a "good camera" compared to renting a helicopter and shooting out the door, but for $4000, I think it works. (And same with the Cine for $7000, but I'm not sure I can justify +$3000 for a codec. I CAN see the difference, but I think that most couldn't. It's just that I'm a perfectionist. :) )

The Air 2S though... potentially that's "good enough", and at half the price of the Pro... it has 20MP stills, and it might be all I need.

I did have a Mavic Air 2 briefly, which has 12MP stills and a "fake 48MP" mode, but it just never impressed me. That's why the Air 2 worries me a teensy bit for stills, but I think it's still an improvement so I might be worried for nothing. At a glance, there seems to be heaps of details and sharpness in your pics, and it looks to have good Dynamic Range.

That said... I think there's money to be made with everything down to the Mini. It's just a question of which clients, and how much I need to impress them, and how much I can charge if I "cheap out". One good drone job could pay for the Mavic 3 pro outright, but I might not get that job with the Air. (BUT... I'd still love it. It's frigging amazing).

Reactions: old man mavic
So the standard is 98% of what I need, but I'm torn because I'm all about camera quality
You seem confused about the two versions of the Mavic 3.
It's all about camera quality, but you dismiss the Mavic 3?
They have the same camera and are identical drones, except for the SSD storage and Pro-Res.

i went out today and took some pics with my Mini 3 pro and have posted a few of them, for you to see what you are getting with the Mini 3 pro straight from the SD card in 12 megapixel mode and full auto settings feel free to do some editing if you wish ,and your comments on what you made of them ,from a picture quality point of view
The M3P shines quite nicely . . .

@Ben_McPhee thanks for your reply yes in jpeg they are straight from the SD card and i dont think they are compressed , i dont do any sort of editing , just wanted to give you an idea of what is possible ,if you check the specs for the Mini 3 i believe it has other picture modes these are in normal which is 12 megapixel ,i am more into the flying side of the hobby and just take pics and video for my own pleasure

I'd rule out the Mavic 3 Cine right off the bat. From what you've described as your interests and intent, the on-board storage and added video features have little utility for you.
I soooort of agree, and I reckon in the end you'll prove to be right.

But I do shoot video (Lets just say at a "content creator" level with a few jobs sprinkled in for now), and the Pro-res does appear to have some good benefits in the final footage. It just seems to have a lot less artefacting in details areas like trees, especially at high speed as it fly's past them. (I'm pixel peeping when I say that, but it is mostly true).

Plus, I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to imagery, and I'd feel really dumb if I booked a $10,000 once in a lifetime trip to Iceland and trusted it to a H.265 codec and realised it could have been so much better and more profitable. (Although lets be real... I don't think that's happening any time soon).

The onboard storage is a necessity for Pro-res as far as I understand it, so I don't care at all except in that way. But it does seem like it could result in some missed shots if I have to keep it on the ground to offload footage. Big design flaw I think.

I really don't care about the Pro Controller because it's valued at $1500 and I could pretty much buy a brand new iPhone for that price. (I know it's handy, but does it add much really? I did hear it improves the Occusync form 3 to 3+?).

What I really kind of want is a Mavic 3 Cine without the Pro Controller (unless I'm misunderstanding the need for it?) for $5500, or one that's NOT in a combo for $4500 and I'll build my own kit.

But DJI are too smart...

@Ben_McPhee thanks for your reply yes in jpeg they are straight from the SD card and i dont think they are compressed , i dont do any sort of editing , just wanted to give you an idea of what is possible ,if you check the specs for the Mini 3 i believe it has other picture modes these are in normal which is 12 megapixel ,i am more into the flying side of the hobby and just take pics and video for my own pleasure
For being jpgs straight out of the camera, I think these are really great. :) The reason I asked about HDR is that there's detail in your bright sky and the clouds, but also on the ground. I'm actually impressed.

I'd be interested to see a RAW photo from it. (If it's like my old Air 2, it will still shoot jpgs as well when that setting is on, but it fills the card a lot quicker).

@Ben_McPhee ,thanks for your comments ,i am very happy with the quality of pics ,they look great with my 75 year old eyes ,according to the specs it does do jpeg+raw, burst and AEB and other things as well
as well as 48mp stills which i believe combines 4x 12mp images ,giving more pixels to work with when editing ,(hope i got that right ) I am no expert when it comes to the photography side of the hobby

@Ben_McPhee ,thanks for your comments ,i am very happy with the quality of pics ,they look great with my 75 year old eyes ,according to the specs it does do jpeg+raw, burst and AEB and other things as well
as well as 48mp stills which i believe combines 4x 12mp images ,giving more pixels to work with when editing ,(hope i got that right ) I am no expert when it comes to the photography side of the hobby
That sounds right. :) But I think you have to turn the JPG + RAW on. And if you don't care to edit them in a RAW editor (like Lightroom, or Camera Raw etc), probably not worth the card space. BUT... I'd still consider turning it on. You can always delete all the RAWS when you download them if they're just taking up space, but on the off chance you ever catch an amazing moment, you'll be able to do a lot with that photo. :) It unlocks a lot of potential.

I'd be a bit careful with the 48MP mode though (unless they improved how it works). It sounds good on paper, but there's some trade off. (The pics can seem darker, and can have more noise, and it's not "really" detail - it uses some trickery but it's not perfect). Other than the size you can print them at or crop into them, I always found the 12mp photos to be a lot better.

Reactions: old man mavic
@Ben_McPhee a couple more things to mention with regards to the drone itself it is very quiet and amazingly stable even in a good wind ,much more than its predecessors in the Mini line up, and with the DJI-RC controller, its super quick to get airborne and has lots of auto flight functions ,that can be good fun ,in the right environment

If you are a pro, then probably get the best one that you can sustainably afford for your business, with consideration for room to grow. That said, I think the A2S is the best value for the money (definitely a biased opinion).

On the ProRes side question - SD cards cannot write at speeds fast enough to record 4K ProRes. It records at around 600mb/s. Most inexpensive cards top out at 100, or 150 mbps.

H264, and H265 became popular to save file space, but with significantly reduced image specs.

It is a lossless CODEC, with 10 bit color, and it can have a fuller color space.

Ben, what did you decide to do in the end?
Haha, still tossing it up, but I think I'm going with the Mavic 3 (but probably not the Cine). I just don't need the cine yet, and if I ever DO "need" it, I should be able to justify a second Mavic 3 Cine as a primary drone, with the Mavic 3 as a backup (or I'd sell it to help finance it).

I just think that since it's a money making machine, there's no point arguing over a few grand. And even as a hobbies, moments only happen once, so I want to trust it to the best tool available.

That said, I think I'd have been happy with the Air 2S also, but now that it's out, I can't go past the M4/3 sensor of the Mavic 3 for the stills, or the video (which is marginally more impressive, but every little bit helps.

The Mini 3 pro is still pretty compelling little drone, and I actually do think the quality is there for "low end" pro work (Budget real estate for example). And it's tiny size means I could basically have it on me at all times. If I was made of money... I'd have one in my bag for sure. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929